TSN: Blackhawks willing to take on bad contracts or facilitate 3 team trades at the deadline

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I expect Chicago to be a bad team again come the following season with Kane still putting up a solid amount of points.

But I think they should be buyers, but not for the big names, more of the small names and expiring contracts within the likes of Cody Eakin, Tanner Pearson or Eric Staal. Taylor Hall maybe if Buffalo retains 50%.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I expect Chicago to be a bad team again come the following season with Kane still putting up a solid amount of points.

But I think they should be buyers, but not for the big names, more of the small names and expiring contracts within the likes of Cody Eakin, Tanner Pearson or Eric Staal. Taylor Hall maybe if Buffalo retains 50%.
even if chicago has pieces they feel have no future on the Hawks (hello dylan strome), I would much rather trade him for futures than rentals

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Based on the post, I'm assuming the Blackhawks want to act as a third team in a 3 way deal to retain salary, not actually get the player. Using Hall as an example, it would be something like:

Sabres Get: Something
Hawks get: Something and retain on Hall
3rd team gets: Hall

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
How about a Lucic to protect your youngsters while you rebuild he skates like a snail and for someone his size has the shot power of a 14 year old

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
what you adding to dump koskinen...he's probably an upgrade over malcom subban fwiw
Let's just swap 'em then. Koskinen for Subban. We can pull up Stalock from the taxi squad and send Malcolm there and get some cap flexibility for the summer, you guys get an upgrade at backup for next year. Everybody wins! We can retain a little if needed.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So the Blackhawks are up for a three way?

Bowman-Draft-Lottery-Smile-e1557419894436.jpeg

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
But what does this do for Chicago?
Take on a terrible goalie at 2.25 and they get a fourth round pick?
..... and they get the luxury of having to pay him next year as well? Yikes.
The oilers should try and convince him to just go back to Europe. Not an NHL goalie.
He is an NHL caliber goalie, he's just overpaid by 2 million. He would have been signed for over 2.25 if he was a free agent this past offseason, he'd be a solid backup upgrade

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He is an NHL caliber goalie, he's just overpaid by 2 million. He would have been signed for over 2.25 if he was a free agent this past offseason, he'd be a solid backup upgrade

Hawks want future assets is the main problem; if Edmonton attached a decent asset to Koskinen to send his contract with no retained money then it could make some sense if they want to add a veteran backup to Lankinen next year

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Missed that one! You're right. Are they taking on salary too?

Can't speak for the Red Wings but Blake has said the Kings would consider a cap dump if the price was right. Blake mentioned that at the start of the season. I think Blake has a fairly high price in mind so I'm not sure teams are willing to meet it.

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
$20,354,977
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
$41,492,839
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I dont think anyone gives him anything above league minimum on his next contract. In fact, I don’t think he will be offered a next contract in the NHL

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hell no to that Moore and Bjork for Keith proposal.

Keith isn't being traded and if he was we'd get actual assets for him. Not a cap dump and a player that covers the price of taking said cap dump.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Let's just swap 'em then. Koskinen for Subban. We can pull up Stalock from the taxi squad and send Malcolm there and get some cap flexibility for the summer, you guys get an upgrade at backup for next year. Everybody wins! We can retain a little if needed.
You're not quite understanding how this works. The Oilers pay to dump the contract.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Friedman needs to finish his thought. Sheesh Elliott. Chicago will take on expiring cap dumps. The expiring part is the most important aspect. They won’t want bad contracts with term.
What's your source? The belief on Chicago sports radio is they are willing to retain on one contract as middleman and eat one or two bad contracts with one year remaining. ... for a price. Which due to the current state of the salary cap will likely be higher than last year.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What's your source? The belief on Chicago sports radio is they are willing to retain on one contract as middleman and eat one or two bad contracts with one year remaining. ... for a price. Which due to the current state of the salary cap will likely be higher than last year.
Even if that is the case, it limits Chicago to expiring or 1.5 year left deals. Really shrinks the universe of cap dump players.

Crow

May 19, 2014

Way off on everything you said. You basically ignored the premise of the thread and their situation

Last edited:
Reactions: Pile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad