TSN: Blackhawks willing to take on bad contracts or facilitate 3 team trades at the deadline

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Just so y'all understand how much cap space the Hawks have this year, we currently have about $26 million in LTIR and of the $26M salary pool that creates we're only currently using a fraction with almost $22 million in space remaining. No other team has even half that much space.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve always wondered what it felt like to be this team. (The take sh*t contracts team)

You’re welcome for Teuvo Canes fans. That’s one move I’ll absolutely never forgive bowman for. I said it at the time too.

But yes, Hawks could take bad money for a pick or prospect in return.

The Chicago sun times had an article on this the other day with the top 10 bad contracts. Ladd, Erickson, James Neal were the names I remember on it.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Hawks can really fast-track their rebuild while making the playoffs if they play their cards right. The market's never been more favorable to them than it is now. Could see Seattle doing this too come expansion draft time.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Just so y'all understand how much cap space the Hawks have this year, we currently have about $26 million in LTIR and of the $26M salary pool that creates we're only currently using a fraction with almost $22 million in space remaining. No other team has even half that much space.
Actually, per CapFriendly, the Red Wings have:

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $17,274,287
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $35,212,969

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Tor- Hall, Staal
Buff- 1 st and B-prospect
Chi- 50% of Hall for 3rd/4th

Leafs received a 5th for 2,500,000 last season

Could see the Hawks doing a deal like this given Hall's money would be off the books after the summer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are the Hawks only looking for a contract that expires this season? Per Cap Friendly, they are projected at $70 mill next season, but Seabrook is done, so that $6.875 mill comes off, thus they really have $63 mill committed. They currently have both Toews and Shaw on LTIR. Toews with an illness and Shaw with a concussion.

No roster player requires a massive cap increase for next season, but I would imagine that chicago would like to add players in the off-season.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I could see the Leafs looking at this.
If they are ok retaining salary this and next year, they could be a great middle team for whoever gets Ekholm / Forsberg.
Ekholm @ 3.7 is a good value. Him at $1.875m makes him able to fit on almost any team, dramatically increasing Nashvilles market and boosting his value immensely. Other multi year guys who become way more valuable would be Mile Wood, (2.75) and

Imagine Montreal getting Ekholm -@ 1.875m this year, they have about 1.7ish in TDL cap space as of today. Wont even really need to move out salary to make a deal work.

Same goes for Granlund. $3.75m but its expiring. Him at $1.875 fits with a good amount more teams.
Palmieri, Dzingel and Donato could all also make sense.

The Leafs got a 5th for retaining more, so if all it takes is a 5th or so to get him 50% retained, that's a no brainier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad