Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign Pius Suter and Wyatt Kalynuk

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Brayden Point. A bit bigger and a bit less gifted than Point but same type of player. Excellent playmaker who can also score a lot of goals and play on the Wing if necessary. Both of them are small but still dangerous in the slot and solid two way players just by being smart and in the right spots. Like Point he's a good skater and likes to pick pockets rather than being physical. Both of them are competitive and high energy but not particularly effective along the boards or on the forecheck, just due to a lack of size and physicality.

Point is more than a good skater. His bursts are ELITE. He has top end speed. I’ll shit my pants if Suter’s skating is on par with Point.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Brayden Point. A bit bigger and a bit less gifted than Point but same type of player. Excellent playmaker who can also score a lot of goals and play on the Wing if necessary. Both of them are small but still dangerous in the slot and solid two way players just by being smart and in the right spots. Like Point he's a good skater and likes to pick pockets rather than being physical. Both of them are competitive and high energy but not particularly effective along the boards or on the forecheck, just due to a lack of size and physicality.
If he’s half the player Point is this is a massive signing.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
After electing free agency, Kalynuk narrowed his initially lengthy list of NHL team suitors to six, then three, then picked the Hawks after a Zoom call with general manager Stan Bowman.

“For me, there’s an opportunity for me to step in and earn my spot right away on the left side [of the defense],” he said. “It doesn’t matter where you go in the NHL, you’re going to have to battle...to earn your spot. But in Chicago, I have a legitimate chance of stepping in.”

With Keith, De Haan, and Maatta around, have to wonder what Stan told Kalynuk. There isn't exactly an opportunity to step in on the left side when those are among our highest paid defenders.

Obviously we know probably Maatta doesn't stick around for cap reasons, but did Stan tell Kalynuk that? He seems to be under the impression there's an open spot for him which as it stands, there really isn't one.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
we are going to see significant changes on D IMO.

I would not at all be surprised to see two of Maatta, DeHaan, Murphy gone at some point next season.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
we are going to see significant changes on D IMO.

I would not at all be surprised to see two of Maatta, DeHaan, Murphy gone at some point next season.
Maatta, sure. Who's going to take de Haan? Why would you trade Murphy? He's a very important player. In fact, if they could re-sign him to a 3 year deal I'd do it.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
“For me, there’s an opportunity for me to step in and earn my spot right away on the left side [of the defense],” he said. “It doesn’t matter where you go in the NHL, you’re going to have to battle...to earn your spot. But in Chicago, I have a legitimate chance of stepping in.”

With Keith, De Haan, and Maatta around, have to wonder what Stan told Kalynuk. There isn't exactly an opportunity to step in on the left side when those are among our highest paid defenders.

Obviously we know probably Maatta doesn't stick around for cap reasons, but did Stan tell Kalynuk that? He seems to be under the impression there's an open spot for him which as it stands, there really isn't one.

Not exactly a secret that we are going to shed contracts this offseason. Maatta is as good as gone. There will be an open spot on the left side. Kalynuk will battle Beaudin and 4k for it.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not exactly a secret that we are going to shed contracts this offseason. Maatta is as good as gone. There will be an open spot on the left side. Kalynuk will battle Beaudin and 4k for it.
Depending on how much he wants, I'd be surprised if Koekkoek was back as well. He'd have to take the $1M that he's on now, and I don't think the Hawks can even afford that. Koekkoek will catch on somewhere. He's a solid bottom pairing D.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Maatta, sure. Who's going to take de Haan? Why would you trade Murphy? He's a very important player. In fact, if they could re-sign him to a 3 year deal I'd do it.

I never said I would trade Murphy...what I did say was that I think 2 of the three will be gone....that is all and that is to make room for some young guys...

I would want Murphy to stay but that is not up to me.

Remember that the albatross of 7 is an issue as well and we very well might see two of the three hit the road... we have carlsson, Mitchell, Kalynuk, Gilbert, Beaudin all chomping at the bit not to mention 4K being in the fold....

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I never said I would trade Murphy...what I did say was that I think 2 of the three will be gone....that is all and that is to make room for some young guys...

I would want Murphy to stay but that is not up to me.

Remember that the albatross of 7 is an issue as well and we very well might see two of the three hit the road... we have carlsson, Mitchell, Kalynuk, Gilbert, Beaudin all chomping at the bit not to mention 4K being in the fold....
I wouldn't trade de Haan quite yet. I think he's a good bet to get selected by Seattle.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn't trade de Haan quite yet. I think he's a good bet to get selected by Seattle.
If he stays healthy, he's prime Seattle bait.

Not that I want to lose de Haan, but I'd consider that a win if he's our loss in the expansion draft. We acquired him for peanuts so there's no investment lost, and freeing up his cap hit one year early will help us.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Ummmm, why is that exactly? You can’t rely on him to suit up at this point.

Are we sending a late round pick for them to take him or something?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Ummmm, why is that exactly? You can’t rely on him to suit up at this point.

Are we sending a late round pick for them to take him or something?
He's the only worthwhile talent on the table as of the current roster setup. Unless Lucas Carlsson somehow earns their eye in the next season.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad