Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign Pius Suter and Wyatt Kalynuk

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
He's very good with his stick at retrieving pucks along the boards. I'm sure he will be able to hold his own in board battles, but he's not the strongest guy out there, so he will be trying to avoid those battles against the big guys by being more clever.
He's a very smart player indeed, we will miss him big time in Zurich. As I said before, he was Roes wing last season but the moment Roe was injured for a few games, Suter took over and put up the same ppg than with Roe. I think he matured a lot the last 1-2 years as a player and learned to take responsibility.

Great stuff, thank you! Rooting for him to do well here.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Neato. Hopefully the team takes a big step forward next year and the new addons are quality and want to resign with us.

And the history dork in me wants Pius' nickname to be Pope.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Neato. Hopefully the team takes a big step forward next year and the new addons are quality and want to resign with us.

And the history dork in me wants Pius' nickname to be Pope.

That would be great but you know it'll end up being "Pie" or "Soots" or something else lame.

Last edited:

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
I read on the wild board, that they plan to bring Kirill Kaprizov to the bubble to let him breath NA air and even work out with the team. Even though he's not allowed to play in the playoffs.
Is there a possibility you do the same with Suter?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I read on the wild board, that they plan to bring Kirill Kaprizov to the bubble to let him breath NA air and even work out with the team. Even though he's not allowed to play in the playoffs.
Is there a possibility you do the same with Suter?
Minnesota is burning a year on his contract in order to do that.

Suter's deal starts next season.

Reactions: Naster Okan

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Not only did Suter finish first in the Swiss league in points, but he also had the best expected goals for percentage, best corsi for percentage, best points per 60, best goals per 60, and highest shot attempts per 60.

This guy could very realistically have a season as good as Kubalik did this year. His advanced stats show a player who earned his points, not one that lucked into it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Not only did Suter finish first in the Swiss league in points, but he also had the best expected goals for percentage, best corsi for percentage, best points per 60, best goals per 60, and highest shot attempts per 60.

This guy could very realistically have a season as good as Kubalik did this year. His advanced stats show a player who earned his points, not one that lucked into it.

As far as I know, he accomplished this playing on the wing. I know he played center most of his life, but it seems like a switch to wing made a big difference for him.

If we're rolling Toews-Strome-Dach down the middle next season, I don't think Suter should be buried as the 4C. Have him play on the captain's wing with Kubalik.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
As far as I know, he accomplished this playing on the wing. I know he played center most of his life, but it seems like a switch to wing made a big difference for him.

If we're rolling Toews-Strome-Dach down the middle next season, I don't think Suter should be buried as the 4C. Have him play on the captain's wing with Kubalik.
Yeah, from what I've read on HF, he played wing last year. Which if that's the case, we have 3 great centers (provided Strome stays) who could do well with a player like Suter.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, from what I've read on HF, he played wing last year. Which if that's the case, we have 3 great centers (provided Strome stays) who could do well with a player like Suter.
Incredible how we just pull these guys out of thin air.

If Pius can put up around 40 points, that does a lot for our depth. And if he's a guy capable of leading his league in corsi, surely he's no slouch on the defensive end and we all know how much we need more defensive minded forwards.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

this Pius Suter kid looks really good IMO, tough to judge completely thus far as I have not had time to search too much on this guy however the few highlight packages and interviews in English I have seen indicate that he could be a really good find. Much better than Kahun and could very well be every bit as good as Kubalik, he is a bit different type of player than Kubalik though.

off to watch more videos...

pumped about Kalynuk too but more so for Pius

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015

I totally agree with you there. Even though i liked him as our #1 center, Garret Roe at Center and Pius as wing, was a treat to watch. They dominated almost any shift as you could immediately see when they touched the ice together. That's what Suter's advanced stats also show.
So I think, he's better served starting as a winger and if a center is going down, he would still be a good replacement since he's used to playing that position.
He's a very nice and humble guy, so I truly hope he can establish himself as a servicable NHL forward.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I totally agree with you there. Even though i liked him as our #1 center, Garret Roe at Center and Pius as wing, was a treat to watch. They dominated almost any shift as you could immediately see when they touched the ice together. That's what Suter's advanced stats also show.
So I think, he's better served starting as a winger and if a center is going down, he would still be a good replacement since he's used to playing that position.
He's a very nice and humble guy, so I truly hope he can establish himself as a servicable NHL forward.
Any NHL comparable that you can think of?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Any NHL comparable that you can think of?

Brayden Point. A bit bigger and a bit less gifted than Point but same type of player. Excellent playmaker who can also score a lot of goals and play on the Wing if necessary. Both of them are small but still dangerous in the slot and solid two way players just by being smart and in the right spots. Like Point he's a good skater and likes to pick pockets rather than being physical. Both of them are competitive and high energy but not particularly effective along the boards or on the forecheck, just due to a lack of size and physicality.

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
Well, Suter used to be more of a playmaker and set-up guy and had the tendency to do one pass too much instead of taking the shot himself. Last season that changed, so the comparison to Guentzel seems fair. Even though I don't think he's going to put up a ppg season. :D
I also think you could compare him to Kubalik. Kubaliks shot is a lot better, but Suter's the slightly better and smarter passer in my eyes.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Based solely on what I've read, it sounds like his game could be similar to Jake Guentzel.

I wouldn't say so. Similar frame but Guentzel is a classical goalscorer and Winger while Suter is a playmaking Center. Suter can score and play Winger as well but that's not what he's best at. Guentzel is also a lot tougher and more physical than Suter.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Such a good signing. Suter makes trading Strome a lot more palatable. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating moving Strome, but it's clear that we may have to (depending on how things shake out, obviously).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Suter: 9 Monate ohne Spiel für den NHL-Traum. Und Scherwey? - Blick

- Suter just finished military service, is on holidays in the Swiss mountains (Engadin) now
- says he doesn't intend to play until December, just wants to work towards being ready for nhl camp
- decision which offer to accept wasn't easy
- chose the Blackhawks because their interest was high, because he believes he can make the roster, because both organization and city are great
- knowing about the history of Panarin, Kubalik and Kahun with the Blackhawks "didn't hurt"
- Crawford wasn't a factor. Shouldn't concentrate on a single person, Suter says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad