Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign Alex Broadhurst to 3-year ELC

LandofLincoln*

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672549

This was our last chance to sign him or else he could re-enter the draft.

But he's a good prospect for a 7th rounder. He was great in the USHL and was pretty good in the OHL this year too.

Glad that we locked him up on a three year deal. When a seventh rounder puts up those types of numbers in London it makes me scratch my head. Cap Geek didn't post his ELC as of 5pm 5/31/13 but I'm expecting 650,000 range.

Maybe more because of huge stats in London I would be surprised if he hit 900,000 a year. Another late round pick that has a good chance to make it to the NHL.

Broadhurst, 20, tallied 63 points (24G, 39A) in 65 games with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League last season, while ranking third on the team in points and assists, and fifth in goals. The 5-11, 174-pound forward also ranked second on the Knights with 28 points (10G, 18A) in 21 OHL playoff games, while leading London to the 2013 Robertson Cup.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Good two-way guy. Low ceiling, probablya 3rd line C at the very best..but you never know.

His ceiling is a top-6 forward, there's just a lot of risk involved with him reaching his potential.

He has the skill to be a top-6 forward. He's a good playmaker, with good hands and a nice shot. He's a good but not outstanding skater and he's been solid at both ends of the rink in the OHL. Still, he's not very big and he doesn't really pop out at you on the ice. He's not a small guy, but he's lean and he'll likely never big that thick.

His 2nd year in the AHL will tell us how far his career might go. I could see him being a Versteeg-like third line winger.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
This could end up as another great pick made by the Hawks. Chances are slim but they are there. Rather have him signed than not and I think he would get drafted higher than 7th this time

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well he looked bigger than that 5'11 174 listing...but then the Knights had a lot of smurfy forwards...he is not a gritty phydical guy BUT he often went into puck battlles along the boards and came away with the puck to keep play going im the o-zone...London used him at the point on the Pp. ..good vision and passer and a good shot whicj he could have used more if he were more selfish to score himself instead of setting up London's other big gins...He has posted great +/- in Green Bay and London the last 2 years for 2 league championship teams. .He can skate fast but is not a constant motion guy and so not necessarily quick on the first step but once he moves he canget up to fast speed such that he does get toloose pucks and keeps plays alive on the o-zone...he can acclerate but as.I said this is often from a stop start so I think as a pro he will need to eliminate the stop and slow down and keep in motion more often...but once he does accelerate he can zip by opponrnts. ..gets shorties on the pk that way...so skating is not a pure speed issue but rather getting to full speed quicker...I like him at centre better than wing but not great at faceoffs..He is not a danglet...stick-handling not hos forte but he has greay vision anticipation offendively and passrs very quickly so quick that teamates often not ready for it...this is not Patrick Kane either deke and dangle then dish through skates or blind behind the back for tap in goals or Kane stopping on the boards sloeing it down and finding the open guy...rather it is puck on his sticl get rid of it almost immediately to set up a team-mate for a shot...so the speed of the play on attack has to be much faster than a you can see it coming Kane set-up...you always must be reafu to receive a puck when Broadhurst gets the puck because it comes right back off his stick fast...so he will excel in bang bang goals..but it probaly won't work on the Hawks because they take so long in puck possesion to st up the perfect shot..in a sense Broadhurst is not about puck retention but rather making quickpuck movement fasterr than D can react..so I do not know how this style meshes with our style or whether our guys will be in postions ready to shoot when he sends them the puck...he has a good shot but seems not to use it enough as only a premier goal scorer will..so it willbe intetrsting to see if they try to change him to our style. ..that
is..longer puck possession before the shot comes amd that we wamt him to be a shooter more rather tham think pass forst too quickly gor our style..I hope I have explainefd this but I think that If he evet hets on our team he probably must convert to a shooter to mesh with our style because I do not think Q wamts the puck moved before our guys can get open or back in defensive posifion if the shot that comes gets stopped or re-posessed by the opposifion...

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He didn't post ppg numbers as an overager. Did he play first line minutes?

He wasn't an overager. If he were to return next year, that'd be his overage year. As for his numbers, it was his first season in the OHL, so that certainly has to be taken into account. He played most of the 2nd half of the season on a line with Griffith and Domi, which was London's best line. They were split up in the playoffs though, and Broadhurst certainly elevated his game in the post-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad