GDT: Blackhawks @ Red Wings - 7:30PM ET (preseason Game 2)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Random Thoughts:

3. Sulak looks a hell of a lot bigger than 6'2". He is a good reminder that length + lateral mobility goes a hell of a long way in defending. More than anything, I really like how he reads the play and breaks up passes. The jury is still out on his passing ability and puck skill but I hope he continues to play with that confidence.

I remember Ken Holland said in Traverse City interwiev that he is 6'3.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Blash stated Green will only play the last 2-3 preseason games. DDK has 1gp, it's a bit too early to say all the D kids look better...they already had a prospect camp to get geared up vs. the vets who haven't. Cholo, Hronek, Sulak are all making the case for a spot, with Hicketts looking decent as well.
Except maybe Kronwall. Lol

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Now that would be sort of an entertaining fourth line not that it will happen soon, but Svech-Glendening-Smith would be a heavy unit and annoying to play against.

Even before the goal I thought they looked pretty good. I know we all want more for Svechnikov, but he didn't seem all that out of place playing with those kinds of players and the line was effective.

cibtom

:(
May 27, 2006
Tampere
Regarding Sulak vs. Hronek. Of course I didn't see the last game but from what I've seen previously in Czech national team, both guys have some quality and Hronek looked always a little bit better than Sulak. Let's see what's going to happen in next games.

Reactions: waltdetroit

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Question to some of the theorists here:

Is it possible for two of Hronek, Cholo or Sulak to make it out of camp? I mean one of the vets would have to be dethroned and in unfortunately don’t see that happening.

All three look great so far...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Is it possible for two of Hronek, Cholo or Sulak to make it out of camp? I mean one of the vets would have to be dethroned and in unfortunately don’t see that happening.

Yes they have mentioned both the possibility of rolling 8D and making a move to clear space.

Now the real question might be if 3 could make it...

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I mean as far as I'm concerned, Green and Kronwall are the only guys who should be on the roster, because Green is good and out of respect for what will probably be Kronwall's last year. At that point, absolutely the next four best players on our depth chart should start. Dekeyser, Jensen, Ericsson, and Daley are all more than replaceable.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If competition for roster spots appears to be bringing the best out of (at least some of) the players...

...why can't they just continue to rotate in at least one of the spots on defense, based on a 3-5 game stretch of performance?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If they stealth traded Daley somehow keeping it out of the media, I have a feeling nobody would ever notice...
Bob 1: Trevor Daley.
Dom: Who's he?
Bob 2: You know, squirrely looking guy, mumbles a lot.
Dom: Oh, yeah.
Bob 1: Yeah, we can't actually find a record of him being a current employee here.
Bob 2: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Bob 1:
so-we-fixed-the-glitch.jpg

Reactions: Sparty

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Assuming that Zadina and Rasmussen make the team, all other CHL guys get sent back, all other waiver exempt and AHL vet guys get sent to GR, and no other changes get made on D, they could demote one of Frk or Witkowski to make room for an 8th D and carry 13 forwards.

IMO, I don't see any real "dethroning" happening until the trade deadline. Considering what they got for Smith (who was also a #6/7 guy on a bad Red Wings D) at the 2017 deadline and what Washington paid for a guy like Kempny, they'd be foolish to simply cast off Jensen now. If he gets regular playing time this season and produces a little better, they can likely get a decent return at the deadline from a playoff team still trying to emulate the 2016 and 2017 Pens by trying to add speed any way possible.

The thing I wonder with Sulak is whether or not he still has a "European Assignment Clause" for this season that says he either plays in the NHL or gets assigned to a Euro team, or he can go back to Europe if he gets assigned to GR and isn't called up to the NHL club by a certain date.

As for Zadina last night, I'm going to give him a pass. 18YO kid looked at with lofty expectations, playing his first NA pro level game and apparently coming off a groin injury. I sure hope he steps it up in his next pre-season games, but I'm certainly not ready to panic.

Like other posters, I too thought Smith, Svechnikov, Rybar and especially Sulak all looked great. Hicketts seemed to a Jekyll and Hyde from the previous game... Hronek to me seemed to match the assessment @GrGriffins often gave when some posters couldn't believe he wasn't given a look last season. Looked great on the PP and moving the puck, but had some shaky moments and likely still needs work in his own zone 5v5. At this point, if they only promote one young D to the big club, Sulak would be the front runner for me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If they stealth traded Daley somehow keeping it out of the media, I have a feeling nobody would ever notice...

Daley's NTC doesn't lift until closer to the trade deadline.

Jensen would be the first guy jettisoned in my opinion and Custance has maintained since the deadline he has some interest around the league. They have a couple weeks to make that deal. We also need all these old vets to make it through two weeks of hockey in the pre-season still.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Regarding Sulak vs. Hronek. Of course I didn't see the last game but from what I've seen previously in Czech national team, both guys have some quality and Hronek looked always a little bit better than Sulak. Let's see what's going to happen in next games.

It' sad that even though they both belong on the team (along with Cholo), unfortunately there is only 1 spot available because the Ericsson's and the Kronwall's are still hanging around. Hronek has the best chance to stick due to his handedness, and his ability to run the PP.

I hope we trade/waive Jensen to make room for 2 of the kids. Jensen can skate, but he screams Brett Lebda 2.0. Great skaters, but limited hockey sense, limited puck skills and limited creativity.

I'd love for our D to be:

Dekeyser Green
Daley Hronek
Cholo Sulak
Ericsson

-Kronwall will (hopefully) be on IR soon enough. I loved Kronwall as a player, but he's far past his best before date.
-Trade/Waive Jensen
-Rotate Ericsson in with Cholo/Sulak. Ideally I'd like to move Ericsson to a contender at the deadline, but there is a 0.2% chance someone wants him.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Yes.

Trade/waive Jensen

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yes they have mentioned both the possibility of rolling 8D and making a move to clear space.

Now the real question might be if 3 could make it...
Hronek's not made an impression on me yet but Cholowski and Sulak both have.

8D is silly though unless we're sitting the vets. I want these kids playing, not in the press box.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wouldn't assume Zadina makes the team at all. He's done nothing special in the TC Tournament or pre-season to indicate he will.

That being said, people really need to back down from the ledge. He's 18...

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I didn't notice it last night during the game, but AA's goal is hilarious.

yvP80AW.png

Look at Nyquist. He's basically blanketed by all 5 Hawks players. Meanwhile AA is off to the side. Gus just does a little stutter step to draw them in a little closer and slips it to AA and he walks in. Good patience by Nyquist.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

They are now saying Green won't be ready for the start of the season so they at least should have some extra time to make a decision

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Apparently green is expected to miss the beginning of the season with fatigue issues, could mean another youngster d makes the roster at least to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->