GDT: Blackhawks @ Red Wings - 7:30PM ET (preseason Game 2)

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Did he just say Detroit use to be known as hockey town?
We're not still clinging to that monkier, are we?

The Wings have had attendance problems for decades now. While there will always be a large amount of support, Detroit fans really aren't overly fervous, especially given how bad we are. Even as early as 2008 the Wings were having trouble selling out some playoff games.

While history obviously should be accounted for, as someone who moves around a lot for work on consulting assignments, the Wings don't seem to be as big of a name as in Boston or Even Nashville. Are they bandwagon fans? Sure, probably, but they're a lot more enthusiastic and interested as a whole than the average wing fan.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Game got better as it went on. Zadina hasn't impressed but whatever. AA looked decent in periods 2-3. Still want him to be more of a puckhound. He has so much speed when he has the puck and sees a break and then seems to have none when backchecking. Really annoying. But obviously his instincts on offense are great.

Sulak looked great. Smith, Nyquist, had good games.

Everyone else was pretty meh from me, ranging from bad to just whatever.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
You can listen to the radio broadcast of any game-either team at NHL.com. Pick a game on the top bar, click on "gameday". In the left hand column click on a little mushroom icon "Listen'. the drop down box let's you pick which team you want to listen to. Only problem is that it usually begins 5 minutes into the game

I know. I just like to listen to the pregame and postgame talk, so I prefer using the official radio links.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
We're not still clinging to that monkier, are we?

The Wings have had attendance problems for decades now. While there will always be a large amount of support, Detroit fans really aren't overly fervous, especially given how bad we are. Even as early as 2008 the Wings were having trouble selling out some playoff games.

While history obviously should be accounted for, as someone who moves around a lot for work on consulting assignments, the Wings don't seem to be as big of a name as in Boston or Even Nashville. Are they bandwagon fans? Sure, probably, but they're a lot more enthusiastic and interested as a whole than the average wing fan.

Many of the Redwings fans moved out of town for work. They still have the best away fans in the US helping other teams fill their stadiums.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m really happy Givani Smith got things back on track. I think he can be one of those very valuable bottom 6 forwards you love to have on your team.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sulak was the best player on the ice.

Never paid much attention to him before, but he looked really good. Would be fine with him starting the year in Detroit. Might be nice for Hronek to have a fellow countrymen with him on his pair.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
At this point I think Cholo, Hronek, Sulak could step in and do fine. Little Z like I have said all along is not ready for the big club yet at all.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Beautiful feed by Smith to Svech. Does Smith get any looks this season?

At the prospects tourney one of Draper or Martin said at the intermission they expect him to get some games as a call up this year, they seem high on him. I thought he played pretty good tonight and flashed some skill on that assist. This prospcts tourney/preseason hes definitely impressed and helped himself with ed wings brass. Hopefully he has a good AHL start.

Hronek looked good and hes younger, but man Sulak was good tonight. I missed the hit on Kane but if he can play a little physical and skate like he does he could be a pretty solid player. He really put his name on the map tonight. I've said it a bunch already but they need to move Jensen, way too much talent coming up that deserves a look over him. There isnt really evena need for depth because even if Hronek and Sulak both make the big club, they still have Hicketts and Cholwski to call up and even after that Lashoff is a guy they havent been scared to play in the past.

I thought Svechnikov flashed some skill tonight. I dont think hell make the team but he could have a good year in the AHL and get back on track and make the team next year

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Random Thoughts:

1. It is clearly time to move Jensen. He does a lot of things that I like, but I think it is clear that we have three prospects who are not materially worse than he is. Considering where the organization is in the competitive cycle, it is time to roll the bones with those three.

2. I am happy to see Smith keep up with preseason speed. I have always liked him as a prospect, but have had concerns about his feet. He has improved a ton since draft day in that department.

3. Sulak looks a hell of a lot bigger than 6'2". He is a good reminder that length + lateral mobility goes a hell of a long way in defending. More than anything, I really like how he reads the play and breaks up passes. The jury is still out on his passing ability and puck skill but I hope he continues to play with that confidence. I can see him being a good partner for someone like DDK or Big Rig.

4. Zadina has never been a truly elite skater. He is technically good, but is not overly explosive. It is really hard to make the jump to the NHL in a draft +1 season without being an elite skater. I think he is having a hard time making space for himself. I expect to see a much different prospect five months from now. He is still a hell of a prospect.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Blash stated Green will only play the last 2-3 preseason games. DDK has 1gp, it's a bit too early to say all the D kids look better...they already had a prospect camp to get geared up vs. the vets who haven't. Cholo, Hronek, Sulak are all making the case for a spot, with Hicketts looking decent as well.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You can see Zadina's skill just in the way he receives pucks. I'd like to see improvement in his footwork. Looking forward to when he gets his swagger going.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Svechnikov has a good jump to his step you could see it in the R&W and tonight. I think the thing with him is IQ and maturity but he's developing quickly. Really excited I think he can put it together. Training with Andrei doesn't hurt either lol.

I'd have no problem with Zadina over Vanek or Glendening if the Wings chose, because we'd just be speeding up his progress. Surely over Witkoswsi or Frk, etc. I've loved his passing and effect on the game and he'll only improve- he's not intimidated in the least. Put him on a 3rd line and give it some months like Hischier and Patrick, I think he'd be fine. That's if the Wings chose, which they probably won't. I do honestly favor Svechnikov but at first chance I hope Zadina is proving himself by then.

It's shocking what one game can tell. Sulak appears to be far more developed than Hronek or Cholowski. With his size, improved skating... what a game he had tonight. I finally understand why the Wings have him slotted next in line, my goodness. Can he hold up in the NHL, I have no idea be he stood out twice as much as Hronek IMO. Sulak is the man!

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Given how our young D are looking the ideal scenario includes trading (if possible) Jensen and Daley for whatever return we can get, and hoping Kronwall pulls a semi Z and chooses to sit out most games. I want Cholowski and Hronek on the ice for sure, and both Hicketts and Sulak are probably better than what we have right now.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Didn't see the game, but nice to hear Sulak doing well. Now the competition for NHL spot really started.

I think Sulak already won. He is looking huge and very mobile. As TZE said he's making a strong case. I mean we'll get a better look but Sulak's confidence should be swelling from here on.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's shocking what one game can tell. Sulak appears to be far more developed than Hronek or Cholowski. With his size, improved skating... what a game he had tonight. I finally understand why the Wings have him slotted next in line, my goodness. Can he hold up in the NHL, I have no idea be he stood out twice as much as Hronek IMO. Sulak is the man!

Perhaps because he is 24 and has been playing professional hockey for the last three + years?

I liked his play a lot tonight and think that if we absolutely had to win a game tomorrow, he would be the best option. Long term, however, there is little doubt in my mind that Hronek, Cholo and Vili have more pure skill and upside.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->