Blackhawks New Hires

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cough, cough (non Covid)

Perfect example of your failure at reading comprehension. Me pointing out that she was able to hold her own in a no-check, for-fun summer league, with a bunch of really good male hockey players, is in no way insinuating she could play full check hockey in the highest leagues of male hockey... The point is that she is just as fast and talented as most of her male counterparts, so coming from a no-contact hockey background means less than nothing, in a developmental role. But, you do you, MM.

Most of the ire is on behalf of those supporting the hire. Which, btw, I have not criticized in this thread.

Most of the ire is a result of misogynistic posters making snide comments, actually. No, you haven't criticized the hire, or commented on any of the hires. You actually haven't contributed anything meaningful or insightful to this thread, at all. Par for the course. The sum of your contributions to this forum is following people around through various threads, misconstruing what they are saying, and then attempting to antagonize them into responding to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
At that point it's typically much more mental/cerebral than physical development.

Other than a specific skill, i.e. faceoffs, and strength development the physical development is limited.

Oh, and what a shining example of your ignorance in regards to "development".

Yeah, there's no developing pro hockey players. They don't get faster, they don't get better on their edges, they don't improve their shots, they don't improve their hands, they don't improve their puck control. They just are who they are.... That's why one of the most talented players in the world spends his entire offseason trying to improve specific skills and perfect aspects of his game. That's why there are entire professions around skills development for elite level hockey players. Makes perfect sense.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The Hawks are weird combo of old veterans and very young guys. They are bereft of talent as compared to other teams.

As such, I want the best available option for the money at every position supporting the players on the ice. From the head coach to the scouts to the strength coach to the mental skills coach. If she’s the best available person for it, then she was a great hire. If she wasn’t, time will tell.

It is worth noting that it appears she’s never had a job on a staff of a pro team doing player development. Youth hockey development and outreach which she does a ton of is one thing (I’ve seen her around our rink quite a bit) but the lack of any prior pro scouting/development:coaching experience is a concern for any hire - man, women or otherwise.

I hope she does well because the Hawks need every staff member to do well.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
The Hawks are weird combo of old veterans and very young guys. They are bereft of talent as compared to other teams.

As such, I want the best available option for the money at every position supporting the players on the ice. From the head coach to the scouts to the strength coach to the mental skills coach. If she’s the best available person for it, then she was a great hire. If she wasn’t, time will tell.

It is worth noting that it appears she’s never had a job on a staff of a pro team doing player development. Youth hockey development and outreach which she does a ton of is one thing (I’ve seen her around our rink quite a bit) but the lack of any prior pro scouting/development:coaching experience is a concern for any hire - man, women or otherwise.

Neither has Condra and it's pretty typical for NHL teams to bring in former players to help with player development. I think Brian Campbell is another recent example and if I'm not mistaken, Chris Kunitz is in a similar role. What makes Coyne Schofield unique is she's actually still actively training at a high level for the national team which I think gives her a unique perspective with the young players in Rockford. It's kind of the entry level job of NHL/AHL coaching and then the next step is assistant coach and then coach.

And we are not bereft of talent compared to other teams. Do we have holes in the lineup? Young players that need more development? Sure. Do some teams have a deeper prospect pipeline, yes, but we are nowhere near the bottom of the league. Take a look at San Jose's prospect pool or Pittsburgh's.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

What? Lol. Every team in the league is....exactly that combination.

Bereft of talent. Lol.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Need more hits?
No.... but a dire need for grit and character throughout the Hawks line-up, yes. Without it, we're merely pretenders. Anyone who watches playoff hockey objectively among real contenders knows it but some of you folks are in denial. Even Hawks talent-laden, stacked teams of 2010-2015 had far more abrasiveness and character than today's club.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No.... but a dire need for grit and character throughout the Hawks line-up, yes. Without it, we're merely pretenders. Anyone who watches playoff hockey among real contenders knows it but some of you folks are in denial. Even Hawks talent-laden, stacked teams of 2010-2015 had far more abrasiveness and character than today's line-up.

It was a joke, Bobby. :thumbu:

I know the team needs some grit, toughness, and character... I'm not the guy who believes that a team can win without any of that, based solely on talent alone.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It was a joke, Bobby. :thumbu:

I know the team needs some grit, toughness, and character... I'm not the guy who believes that a team can win without any of that, based solely on talent alone.
It didn't sound like a joke but okay. :)

And me suggesting that a great skater who happens to be a woman should make a good skating coach is somehow looked upon as a slight on her by Pez is why I cracked "pot meet kettle" - in case it needed clarity. She may turn out to be more than that but let's not hail her as a great addition before we see some results.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It didn't sound like a joke but okay. :)

And me suggesting that a great skater who happens to be a woman should make a good skating coach is somehow looked upon as a slight on her by Pez is why I cracked "pot meet kettle" - in case it needed clarity. She may turn out to be more than that but let's not hail her as a great addition before we see some results.

It was me chirping you a little bit. It wasn't meant to be taken as mean-spirited or anything like that.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
No.... but a dire need for grit and character throughout the Hawks line-up, yes. Without it, we're merely pretenders. Anyone who watches playoff hockey objectively among real contenders knows it but some of you folks are in denial. Even Hawks talent-laden, stacked teams of 2010-2015 had far more abrasiveness and character than today's club.

Grit is literally the last thing you need. Figure out the other needs first like centre depth, d core and goal tending and then you can pick up grit when you're at the finish line. Guys like Pat Maroon will be available on short term UFA deals or at the trade deadline.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Grit is literally the last thing you need. Figure out the other needs first like centre depth, d core and goal tending and then you can pick up grit when you're at the finish line. Guys like Pat Maroon will be available on short term UFA deals or at the trade deadline.

All of those positions (less goalie) need grittier type of players. Even the last Cup winner had Sharp, Shaw, Saad, Hjalmarsson, Bickell, Hossa, Roszivol

Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
She likely has a more relevant perspective on the game today than a 60+ year old coach who grew up playing clutch-and-grab.

When evaluating how a new coach will fare one usually looks to past experience and coaching performance ... not gender. It is no coincidence that many NHL coaches, not just head coaches have been around the NHL game for years, sometimes decades. Hockey is hockey, in any era.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I dunno. I think the game has evolved pretty significantly in the last 15 years or so.

Coaching and development has undergone a massive paradigm shift. That's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad