Blackhawks New Hires

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
She gets eaten up playing against elite Men's league competition. She's a very accomplished player but let's not oversell it.

Recent Major Junior players and ECHL players light up elite Men's league competition, let's keep some perspective.

No shit, sherlock. She MIGHT be five foot, but I have my doubts. The point I was making is that she knows hockey, and she knows the techniques. Hell, as a smaller player, and a female, she likely has a BETTER grasp on contact technique than most.

I grew up playing hockey as the smallest guy on the ice, until I was about 16. I held my own, and was actually a physical player, despite my size. When I finally grew in high school? I destroyed people. Because I had to have better balance, better positioning, better technique, and learned early on how to utilize my center of gravity to the utmost, because everyone dwarfed me. When size even remotely equalized junior year? I dummied people.

P.S. You realize she played in the summer pro leagues with a whole bunch of high level male players, and held her own just fine, right?

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I grew up playing hockey as the smallest guy on the ice, until I was about 16. I held my own, and was actually a physical player, despite my size. When I finally grew in high school? I destroyed people. Because I had to have better balance, better positioning, better technique, and learned early on how to utilize my center of gravity to the utmost, because everyone dwarfed me.

Not sure what level of competition you played your minor hockey at, but the fact that you learned it by age 16 is MY point. You think current pros/draftees have had inferior developmental instruction than you had?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
P.S. You realize she played in the summer pro leagues with a whole bunch of high level male players, and held her own just fine, right?

You think those were as competitive as a full season of full check elite level hockey?

More like All Star events IMO.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
You think those were as competitive as a full season of full check elite level hockey?

More like All Star events IMO.

The point you are trying to make is dumb and sexist and only gets made when it comes to womem coaching. So what if Coyne Schofield has never been hit mid ice by a 200+ pound player or that a team of women would lose to a team of men. That means she can't coach? As I said in a prior post lots of male coaches didn't play at a high level or at all really.

But really, no one ever brings this stuff up about men coaching women. Like no one says, oh men shouldn't coach women's hockey at Olympics because the men's game is different and they can't understand what it's like to play the women's game. In fact almost all the coaches at that level even in women's hockey are men.

No one says Bela Karolyi was not qualified to coach the women's gymnastics team at the Olympics because he's never in his life done a flip on a balance beam.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The point you are trying to make is dumb and sexist and only gets made when it comes to womem coaching. So what if Coyne Schofield has never been hit mid ice by a 200+ pound player or that a team of women would lose to a team of men. That means she can't coach? As I said in a prior post lots of male coaches didn't play at a high level or at all really.

But really, no one ever brings this stuff up about men coaching women. Like no one says, oh men shouldn't coach women's hockey at Olympics because the men's game is different and they can't understand what it's like to play the women's game. In fact almost all the coaches at that level even in women's hockey are men.

No one says Bela Karolyi was not qualified to coach the women's gymnastics team at the Olympics because he's never in his life done a flip on a balance beam.
Bingo. Take the best players of any given sport. Someone at some point in time coached them and likely that coach couldn't pull off the same things they did--especially at the development level. KCS may not be able to lay someone out like she was Tie Domi, but the woman is a damned good hockey player and knows her stuff--the fundamentals and the like. Why wouldn't you want someone who knows her fundamentals as a coach? Besdies, the woman can skate. If she's like 5-0 and can skate faster than the bulk of our lineup she must be doing something right, and if she can pass on that technique and knowledge it would only serve to help the 'hawks. Moreover it's possible she can help a player who might be struggling with skating.

Besdies, it's not like Stan Bowman ever played high-level hockey...and yet he's our GM.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
This is really simple. Darryl Belfry is the most sought after development coach on the planet. His playing career ended in his teens. None of it even registers on HockeyDB or Elite Prospects. Know what else? HE WAS A f***ING GOALTENDER. What could this guy possibly teach the greatest players in the world?

There’s a ton more nuance and stuff to get into with all of this and maybe I’ll do that later when I have time but ultimately this is the simplest way to shut down this completely asinine notion that Kendall Coyne has nothing to offer pro mens players/pro prospects in their development.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I think this could be an excellent hire. She seems very well spoken, and if she can teach her skating technique to our slower players, (we all know who i'm talking about) and make some progress, she will be worth her weight in gold

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
RELEASE: Blackhawks Announce New Hires in Hockey Operations

That's the story in Blackhawks page. There is one line that rubbs me wrong way.
"Adding talented people with diverse and multi-faceted backgrounds like Kendall, Erik and Juan...", if they were hired because diversity, I am speechless.

If they were hired because they are best of best/rest, then I am fine with it.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
RELEASE: Blackhawks Announce New Hires in Hockey Operations

That's the story in Blackhawks page. There is one line that rubbs me wrong way.
"Adding talented people with diverse and multi-faceted backgrounds like Kendall, Erik and Juan...", if they were hired because diversity, I am speechless.

If they were hired because they are best of best/rest, then I am fine with it.

They literally have diverse PROFESSIONAL backgrounds, if you scroll down the story below the photo there's detailed blurbs about each of their backgrounds and it's all references to professional accomplishments which make it clear that all three are very qualified for their jobs.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think this could be an excellent hire. She seems very well spoken, and if she can teach her skating technique to our slower players, (we all know who i'm talking about) and make some progress, she will be worth her weight in gold

Yes, if she can teach then she should make a good skating coach.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes, if she can teach then she should make a good skating coach.

And why is skating all you think she would have to offer when it comes to coaching?

One of the best coaches in the NHL right now, Barry Trotz, only ever made it to the WHL. He was pretty much a goon. Have you seen the guy skate???

The guy Patrick Kane has been working with for YEARS during the off-season for skills development, Brian Keane, was only ever a mediocre NCAA player. Wasn't even a very productive USHL player.... But one of the most talented players in the world goes to him every off-season for help with his SKILLS.

Jon Cooper was barely a junior B player....

One of the most knowledgeable coaches I ever played for when it came to systems, positioning, and the nuance of the game, and the guy who is largely responsible for Dustin Byfuglien making it to the NHL, was a goalie....

Coaching ability has almost nothing to do with the level of hockey you played. Other important factors include charisma, intelligence, enthusiasm, knowledge, and communication ability... They have more in common with teachers, than athletes.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
And why is skating all you think she would have to offer when it comes to coaching?

One of the best coaches in the NHL right now, Barry Trotz, only ever made it to the WHL. He was pretty much a goon. Have you seen the guy skate???

The guy Patrick Kane has been working with for YEARS during the off-season for skills development, Brian Keane, was only ever a mediocre NCAA player. Wasn't even a very productive USHL player.... But one of the most talented players in the world goes to him every off-season for help with his SKILLS.

Jon Cooper was barely a junior B player....

One of the most knowledgeable coaches I ever played for when it came to systems, positioning, and the nuance of the game, and the guy who is largely responsible for Dustin Byfuglien making it to the NHL, was a goalie....

Coaching ability has almost nothing to do with the level of hockey you played. Other important factors include charisma, intelligence, enthusiasm, knowledge, and communication ability... They have more in common with teachers, than athletes.

Same goes for working in a front office.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The point you are trying to make is dumb and sexist

No, Pez's point of how she can play against elite men was dumb. And incorrect.

Nobody in this thread-NOBODY- said she had nothing to offer as far as skills instruction, but you boys are howling at some far away moon about it.

Also, NOBODY said one needs NHL playing level experience to be a good coach, but the arguments keep coming.

Playing, coaching, managing are all different skills, again nobody has said anything different.

Reactions: Pertti

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
No, Pez's point of how she can play against elite men was dumb. And incorrect.

Nobody in this thread-NOBODY- said she had nothing to offer as far as skills instruction, but you boys are howling at some far away moon about it.

Also, NOBODY said one needs NHL playing level experience to be a good coach, but the arguments keep coming.

Playing, coaching, managing are all different skills, again nobody has said anything different.

I never said this at any point in this thread. You really have problems with reading comprehension. You are constantly inferring shit that nobody f***ing said, and it gets really old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->