Blackhawks New Hires

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kept wondering when Kendall would get hired by the organization. Seemed like something that was developing over the last few years.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Great news! When we talk about seeing a woman as an NHL head coach or GM, it doesn't happen unless women get their foot in the door and that starts with jobs like the one Coyne-Schofield took. She is absolutely qualified, but for a long time you just wouldn't see women given chances like this. Same thing with Meghan Hunter on the hockey ops side who is quietly working her way up in the front office.

I know Seattle got a lot of credit for including women in the org, but it seems like the Blackhawks are quietly doing the same.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
A player development coach who comes from a no-contact background.
Quite appropriate, if you ask me.

Are you being sarcastic? There are lots of successful coaches who played at much lower tiers than Coyne Schofield or not at all including Ken Hitchcock, Pat Quin and some guy named Scotty Bowman.

So yes, I'm sure she can look at a players full game including the physical side and hopefully her experience can help players with speed and agility.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not a professional athlete, but I've known a few over my years and have a very famous neighbor.

I'd be curious to hear their honest opinions - not the ones they have to say.

KCS has been around various local rinks and charity events and she seems well liked by the current and former players as well as fans.

That said, would a current pro player - one playing at the highest level on can attain in that sport - value and respect the development coaching and advice of a player who plays at a level that is just not on the same page as the NHL (albeit the best in the world at their particular craft) and as BJ notes, no contact?

Again, I'm not judging, I'm just asking the question.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
There are other facets of the game, no?

Of course, but checking, contact and physical play is kinda sorta important in NHL hockey, no?

I know she's a super fast skater so maybe her focus is on power skating or something? That would make sense.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Of course, but checking, contact and physical play is kinda sorta important in NHL hockey, no?

I know she's a super fast skater so maybe her focus is on power skating or something? That would make sense.

Contact is obviously part of the game but women's hockey has contact (not as much as men's obviously) so she could provide some insight but power skating and other fundamentals are most likely where she will fit. There is also a systems aspect where she can help as she clearly knows the game well (not saying you implied she didn't).

From personal experience I can say that my best power skating coaches were both female. One actually was a figure skater. I know for a fact that players in the NHL from Detroit have worked with the same people.

In sports in general, female athletes tend to be more fundamentally sound (this is a compliment).

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm not a professional athlete, but I've known a few over my years and have a very famous neighbor.

I'd be curious to hear their honest opinions - not the ones they have to say.

KCS has been around various local rinks and charity events and she seems well liked by the current and former players as well as fans.

That said, would a current pro player - one playing at the highest level on can attain in that sport - value and respect the development coaching and advice of a player who plays at a level that is just not on the same page as the NHL (albeit the best in the world at their particular craft) and as BJ notes, no contact?

Again, I'm not judging, I'm just asking the question.
But she played at a higger level than plenty coaches they've probably had. Going through you're still having coaches who at best maybe peaked in junior or some who weren't even good at that level.

And how many out of shape coaches who maybe played a high level 30 years prior have they had.

Someone might say or think that applies to her but not those people. That's kinda the double edged question though, it's what really make them question that if they did.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
A player development coach who comes from a no-contact background.
Quite appropriate, if you ask me.

Lol. I would say I'm shocked that you would be the one to criticize this, but it's right on brand.

I would love to see you play that "no-contact" hockey that the women's National Teams play. Did you not watch the Canada/USA games, or what? About the only contact those games are missing, is open ice hitting. I've skated with Kendall before, and for how TINY she is, she had no problem bodying the guys on the ice she was playing against when battling for pucks in the corners.

Female players grow up being taught ALL the same shit in regards to body contact, as the male players do. They just don't throw open ice hits. They still separate players from the puck using body contact....

P.S. A lot of the older female players, that have reached the OLYMPIC level, played check hockey with male players, at some point....

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Lol. I would say I'm shocked that you would be the one to criticize this, but it's right on brand.

I would love to see you play that "no-contact" hockey that the women's National Teams play. Did you not watch the Canada/USA games, or what? About the only contact those games are missing, is open ice hitting. I've skated with Kendall before, and for how TINY she is, she had no problem bodying the guys on the ice she was playing against when battling for pucks in the corners.

Female players grow up being taught ALL the same shit in regards to body contact, as the male players do. They just don't throw open ice hits. They still separate players from the puck using body contact....

P.S. A lot of the older female players, that have reached the OLYMPIC level, played check hockey with male players, at some point....

Uh huh.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
From personal experience I can say that my best power skating coaches were both female. One actually was a figure skater. I know for a fact that players in the NHL from Detroit have worked with the same people.

Agreed, going all the way back to Laura Stamm.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I've skated with Kendall before, and for how TINY she is, she had no problem bodying the guys on the ice she was playing against when battling for pucks in the corners.

She gets eaten up playing against elite Men's league competition. She's a very accomplished player but let's not oversell it.

Recent Major Junior players and ECHL players light up elite Men's league competition, let's keep some perspective.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad