Blackhawks media thread

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Going through the Hawks podcasts and I can't help but comment how shit Blackhawks rinkcast is. It has got worse somehow. They literally just make shit up. Plus they have the nerve to say shit about Mario T who is actually a decent follow.

Who does Blackhawks rinkcast?
Mario is good agreed there.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Odd didn't realize he left but yeah he was the only thing I really did enjoy about looking at that site like a few times the last couple years. They also had some decent prospect breakdowns but that seems rarely a thing they still even try.

I saw him mocking a couple year old tweet about trading Kane before. Probably just bashing. I think I tried their pod 1 time and didn't go back.

I also recently listened to locked down blackgawks which I was surprised Jay Zawaski didn't do anymore? But some new kid that didn't know much. Maybe he'll improve. I never quite got the point of Jay having that other podcast but now I guess its better there's more and more.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Odd didn't realize he left but yeah he was the only thing I really did enjoy about looking at that site like a few times the last couple years. They also had some decent prospect breakdowns but that seems rarely a thing they still even try.

I saw him mocking a couple year old tweet about trading Kane before. Probably just bashing. I think I tried their pod 1 time and didn't go back.

I also recently listened to locked down blackgawks which I was surprised Jay Zawaski didn't do anymore? But some new kid that didn't know much. Maybe he'll improve. I never quite got the point of Jay having that other podcast but now I guess its better there's more and more.

New kid is learning. I think.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Ya, that kid doing Locked On now is like straight out of college and grew up a Hawks fan. But he doesn’t have much reporting experience beyond whatever he did while in school.

I think he wrote a few things for the Blackhawks Up blog

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Going through the Hawks podcasts and I can't help but comment how shit Blackhawks rinkcast is. It has got worse somehow. They literally just make shit up. Plus they have the nerve to say shit about Mario T who is actually a decent follow.

I get so tempted to write e-mails when I hear incorrect info on podcasts but I know it's pointless. The other day on the Blackhawks Talk podcast they were saying Stan is by far the longest tenured GM in the league, and in my head I'm like is David Poile dead? There's actually three with longer tenure. And it's actually not that uncommon for Pat Boyle to be incorrect with facts while chatting on the podcase.

Then on Hockey Central they were talking about the Steen LTIRetirement and they were saying how players sometimes don't expect to play the length of the contract but they have spread it out due to AAV and they cited the Hossa contract as an example. Which gets me mad because I genuinely do believe Hossa would have played his contract if he wasn't on crazy dangerous meds. I almost sent a strongly worded e-mail after I heard it.

And I mean these are pros compared to the amateur nonsense you get on some of the other podcasts. One running theme with the Rink podcast and a reason I don't bother listening anymore is that Hawks can't develop players and are bad at drafting. You can't have it both ways and criticize the Hawks trading young players away and then come back and say they can't draft/develop.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I get so tempted to write e-mails when I hear incorrect info on podcasts but I know it's pointless. The other day on the Blackhawks Talk podcast they were saying Stan is by far the longest tenured GM in the league, and in my head I'm like is David Poile dead? There's actually three with longer tenure. And it's actually not that uncommon for Pat Boyle to be incorrect with facts while chatting on the podcase.

Then on Hockey Central they were talking about the Steen LTIRetirement and they were saying how players sometimes don't expect to play the length of the contract but they have spread it out due to AAV and they cited the Hossa contract as an example. Which gets me mad because I genuinely do believe Hossa would have played his contract if he wasn't on crazy dangerous meds. I almost sent a strongly worded e-mail after I heard it.

And I mean these are pros compared to the amateur nonsense you get on some of the other podcasts. One running theme with the Rink podcast and a reason I don't bother listening anymore is that Hawks can't develop players and are bad at drafting. You can't have it both ways and criticize the Hawks trading young players away and then come back and say they can't draft/develop.

Also, I hate the stupid sound effects on the Rink stuff. It’s so amateurish and the audio levels aren’t even balanced. So either you can’t hear them, or they blast your ears if you have headphones on.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He played both. Same as saad.

Ya, but the Laz article said he’s a RW who doesn’t really like playing LW.

“And they don’t need a No. 2 right wing, they already have one in Kubalik. They need a No. 2 left wing, and they can only hope Nylander or Suter becomes that guy.”

“Plus, Kubalik is more comfortable on the right side (he played on the left a bit in December but really broke out when he was moved to the right side and Brandon Saad to the left) and Kane doesn’t play the left side at all.”

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

“And they don’t need a No. 2 right wing, they already have one in Kubalik. They need a No. 2 left wing, and they can only hope Nylander or Suter becomes that guy.”

“Plus, Kubalik is more comfortable on the right side (he played on the left a bit in December but really broke out when he was moved to the right side and Brandon Saad to the left) and Kane doesn’t play the left side at all.”

I understand and have no issue with that. But he’s a good player on either side. So keep him where he’s comfortable until the line blender needs to go on and if you have to switch him to the left.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

They have 3 of the 4 wings, if you go by top 6 bottom 6 designation. Kane, Cat and Kubalik. Not sure what Suter or Nylander eventually becomes. But ideally they will get a bigger winger who can play.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They have 3 of the 4 wings, if you go by top 6 bottom 6 designation. Kane, Cat and Kubalik. Not sure what Suter or Nylander eventually becomes. But ideally they will get a bigger winger who can play.

Ya, they’re basically just one player short of a complete top-6.

If Strome can switch to LW, then maybe you already have a top-6. If I were Strome, I’d be working my ass off to fill that role and stop sulking about Dach stealing his spot.

The latest Hawks Talk pod mentioned that Strome was very clearly upset about the move to wing last year. Saying things like “I’m a former center” and having a clearly subdued demeanor.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

If Strome can switch to LW, then maybe you already have a top-6. If I were Strome, I’d be working my ass off to fill that role and stop sulking about Dach stealing his spot.

The latest Hawks Talk pod mentioned that Strome was very clearly upset about the move to wing last year. Saying things like “I’m a former center” and having a clearly subdued demeanor.

He should be upset. But it’s in his hands right now. He’s big and talented. We all know the drawbacks but he’s 23 and hopefully takes that next step for himself and the hawks. Just a little more speed. Just a little more physicality.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Strome needs to be working his ass off to demand a role at center or be willing to accept a career as a middle six scorer making good but not great money. His future is in his own hands.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kubalik had played LW for a while, but he switched to RW when he had that career year in Switzerland.

He's more effective on his offside due to his scoring ability. So yes, he performs better as a RW, and thus he's probably more comfortable in that position.

The times he played LW, like when he first got to Chicago, was just JC misusing him but it got corrected later.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Strome can switch to LW, then maybe you already have a top-6.
He's a natural center and hasn't performed well on the wings, but one has to wonder if it's more of a mental thing. I also heard the Hawks Talk Podcast where he mentioned the "former center" thing. He seemed to have really treated it as a downgrade.

If he learned to play wing you could have this top 6:

Strome-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Kubalik

We'll just have to wait and see how he adapts and what kind of work he put in during the offseason.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kubalik had played LW for a while, but he switched to RW when he had that career year in Switzerland.

He's more effective on his offside due to his scoring ability. So yes, he performs better as a RW, and thus he's probably more comfortable in that position.

The times he played LW, like when he first got to Chicago, was just JC misusing him but it got corrected later.

So Laz is right and we should be viewing Kubalik as a RW?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's a natural center and hasn't performed well on the wings, but one has to wonder if it's more of a mental thing. I also heard the Hawks Talk Podcast where he mentioned the "former center" thing. He seemed to have really treated it as a downgrade.

If he learned to play wing you could have this top 6:

Strome-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Kubalik

We'll just have to wait and see how he adapts and what kind of work he put in during the offseason.

That’s a good looking top 6 on paper. Lots of scoring ability with Toews carrying the defensive load for the two biggest defensive liabilities.

Also, Dach has incredible one-time options on both wings, that should be fun for him.

It’s just a matter of whether Strome would prefer to be a first line winger, or a third line center playing with guys like Nylander, Janmark, and Shaw.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It’s just a matter of whether Strome would prefer to be a first line winger, or a third line center playing with guys like Nylander, Janmark, and Shaw.
Pretty much this.

Personally I think he should swallow his pride, because being a 1st line winger is far more prestigious than a 3C. I also don't think playing with third line talent suits his ability. He synergizes much better with other cerebral and elite talent like Kane.

I'm not sure why he's hung up on the center thing. Maybe because he's been one his whole life. However there's nothing stopping him from being a great winger but himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->