Blackhawks fire Quenneville

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
I expect a few teams more desperate than Detroit about coaching change will throw money at Queneville. LAK, STL, maybe PHI.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Blashill has a job. Quennville does not. Let that sink in........................ Detroit Red Wings: Could Joel Quenneville be the next head coach?

This is stupid. One is the coach of a team obviously going through a rebuild (aka, a team with nothing to really gain by changing a coach right this second). The other is coach of a much more talented team who actually has enough talent to do something competitive and/or a team in heavy decline. Also, Quennville just got fired because the Hawks started out really poorly and after a couple years of pretty disappointing results for what the Hawks were.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah I'm not sure Q is the best guy for where the team is right now. He's someone I'd want to bring in when the rebuild is turning the corner.
Problem is a guy like Coach Q may not be available when this team turns things around.

On top of that - while I'm not too concerned about 'feelings' - what does that tell Blashill if he in fact does get this team heading into the right direction, and then he gets the boot because the mgt feels he's not good enough from that point forth?

If you're gonna replace a guy like Blashill for Coach Q - you do it right now, or you don't do it at all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Other than money, why would Quenville really want to come here? I think we're a hard sell for him, especially part way through what will clearly be a rough year where he has nothing to really gain by coming in and taking the reins. It's not like the guy doesn't have a say in where he goes.

I'd be a bit surprised he goes anywhere behind the bench this season. I can see him going somewhere as an adviser or something, though.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Problem is a guy like Coach Q may not be available when this team turns things around.

On top of that - while I'm not too concerned about 'feelings' - what does that tell Blashill if he in fact does get this team heading into the right direction, and then he gets the boot because the mgt feels he's not good enough from that point forth?

If you're gonna replace a guy like Blashill for Coach Q - you do it right now, or you don't do it at all.
That's fair. Just to clarify, when I said "heading in the right direction" I meant more in terms of our prospect pool/roster (ie. ridding it of some bad contracts, replacing them with younger players, etc.). Blashill's job, imo, is to not ruin the development of our young talent while we're still tanking to acquire more. Doubt he's capable of much more than that.

I think we want to replace him at a similar point the Leafs got Babcock. Basically, when we have most of the pieces we need and are entering the final "tank" year. That gave Babcock a year to work on some finer details with the players he had that were part of the future, and then transition right into the Matthews era.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
His STL teams were going against Detroit, Dallas, and Colorado during his tenure. During that tenure he lost in the first round 3 out of 7 times.

His time at Colorado he took his team to the 2nd round 2 out of 3 times.

For the Hawks he got them to at least the 3rd round 5 times.

He wasn't counting the Hawks as they were filled with all stars, he was talking about his non all star Hawks teams, with which Q didn't have anything special going with really any of them. Not saying Q isn't a good coach, just pointing out what Dotter was saying.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Bryan Murray coached the Wings into being a regular playoff performer, but he couldn't get them to the next level of a Cup, and he was let go very unceremoniously for Scotty Bowman.

Now obviously, when that caliber of coach is available, it's a lot easier to part ways with the existing bench boss. But the point is that, even if Blashill helps turn things around, but then plateaus, you do what's best for the team and give yourself the best shot possible to win it all.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Where will Joel Quenneville coach in the NHL next? Analyzing seven teams - Sportsnet.ca

DETROIT RED WINGS

Why it makes sense: It may be a while before the Red Wings contend for the Stanley Cup again — but they’re well on their way to contending for the first overall pick. It wouldn’t hurt having the guy who led a very young Hawks team to its first Stanley Cup since the 1960s just three years after drafting Patrick Kane first overall leading the charge behind the bench. The players love Quenneville and he’s been successful at every stop — he never missed the playoffs in seven full seasons with the Blues and he made it past the first round of the playoffs in two of three seasons with Colorado. New building, new core, new coach — new era in Detroit?

Why it doesn’t make sense: “They got a new building, but also have Dan Bylsma already on the bench and the suspicion is if they’re going to make a move with Blashill it’s going to go right to Bylsma,” Jeff Marek said on Hockey Central at Noon.​

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can't imagine why Quenneville would come here other than a dumptruck full of money. The Wings are still substantially lacking in high end talent.

If Q waited til summer and the Wings ended up with the first overall pick, then maybe.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Something has to be said for the way Blashill has the boys going the last two weeks. Never been a huge supporter but the play he's helping inspire... can you really say another coach could drag out the recent wins? Someone of Q's pedigree would be great but for now Blashill knows our players and my guess is earning his respect around the NHL.

Reactions: Goalie guy

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Something has to be said for the way Blashill has the boys going the last two weeks. Never been a huge supporter but the play he's helping inspire... can you really say another coach could drag out the recent wins? Someone of Q's pedigree would be great but for now Blashill knows our players and my guess is earning his respect around the NHL.
I wanted him gone but things and players are looking better. I say we stick with him for now, I was wrong.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

Blashill : "OK Boys, we played TOO good in the first period there. I'm gonna need ya to go out in the second here and suck it up. Let them pepper our goalie with shots, he'll let in a few but its ok we can just score 2 in the third to tie it up and get into OT..."

Players : " But coach, shouldn't we keep the pressure up going into the secon....."

Blashill : "I'ma have to stop you right there... we gotta grind that team down... If they have the puck a whole period they will get tired and then we pounce! Got it?!"

We are not as bad as our first ten games suggest, but we are also not as good as our last 7 suggest. I for one think that yes, a different coach could have done as well or better in the last two weeks. Babs would have gotten more from this squad, Q could get more from this squad, Blash is hanging on by the skin of his teeth.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Blashill is the coach that came home not Q if he gets the job. And Windsor isn't the same thing. Windsor is Canada. Try crossing the border and not telling them where you are going and say "what does it matter, it's the same thing..." lol
Born and raised Windsorite here, Everyone down here are Lions, Tigers, and Wings fans, a whole bunch of Windsorites work and shop exclusively in the states. My brother is dating a girl from Novi. In the Journey song "Don't Stop Believing", the lyrics born and raised in "South Detroit", they're talking about Windsor. Case closed people from Windsor and Essex county do feel like Detroit is home. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: waltdetroit

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Born and raised Windsorite here, Everyone down here are Lions, Tigers, and Wings fans, a whole bunch of Windsorites work and shop exclusively in the states. My brother is dating a girl from Novi. In the Journey song "Don't Stop Believing", the lyrics born and raised in "South Detroit", they're talking about Windsor. Case closed people from Windsor and Essex county do feel like Detroit is home. Lol
Windsor has a ton of leafs fans too. Detroit is not Windsor. I was born in Windsor too and I know a lot of people TERRIFIED to cross the border, get gas at night in Detroit etc. It's a different world on the other side.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Windsor has a ton of leafs fans too. Detroit is not Windsor. I was born in Windsor too and I know a lot of people TERRIFIED to cross the border, get gas at night in Detroit etc. It's a different world on the other side.
Yeah people from detroit dont want to get gas at night in detroit. Yes it's slightly different, but we share a lot of things also. Fireworks, the river front, blue collar mindset, the love for our cities that get disrespcted from the rest of our countries and off course the love of our sports team. Detroit is as home as it gets from a sports perspective in the area.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yeah people from detroit dont want to get gas at night in detroit. Yes it's slightly different, but we share a lot of things also. Fireworks, the river front, blue collar mindset, the love for our cities that get disrespcted from the rest of our countries and off course the love of our sports team. Detroit is as home as it gets from a sports perspective in the area.
There are more leafs fans in Windsor than wings fans. Go to a wings game taking the tunnel bus and its packed in a sea of blue.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Born and raised down river no one wants to get gas in the city day or night!!! Fill up before you go down there lol.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad