GDT: Blackhawks @ Canucks - 9:30CT, NBCSNCH - Just Win For Realsies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think that's mainly a product of teenager Dach getting his feet wet in the NHL. In time I think he'll use his big body better and better (offensively as well as defensively). TSN listed him at 205 lbs - he is filling out as we speak. I expect he'll be a good 220 lbs before long.

He's talking about Strome.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think that's mainly a product of teenager Dach getting his feet wet in the NHL. In time I think he'll use his big body better and better (offensively as well as defensively). TSN listed him at 205 lbs - he is filling out as we speak. I expect he'll be a good 220 lbs before long.

I was referencing Strome. Dach absolutely plays bigger than Strome, and I agree that Dach will keep getting scarier as he fills out.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Like they did against Detroit in 2013. Good teams win in spite of the tedious interference of the refs. That being said, I wouldn't be against Lysiak'ing a few of the refs for failure to do their jobs correctly.

I get what you mean, but to be fair I think Saad had the worst pass of the night...and I don't consider him a kid anymore.

And as a general comment....what the smeg was Maatta doing on the 1st goal against? He NOPE'ed out of position like Pierre McGuire was chasing him with a corndog!

Maata moved to cover the backdoor pass but Carpenter didn't drop low to help out. In doing so it opened up the near side slot. He was screwed either way.

Reactions: KWP

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Like they did against Detroit in 2013. Good teams win in spite of the tedious interference of the refs. That being said, I wouldn't be against Lysiak'ing a few of the refs for failure to do their jobs correctly.

I get what you mean, but to be fair I think Saad had the worst pass of the night...and I don't consider him a kid anymore.

And as a general comment....what the smeg was Maatta doing on the 1st goal against? He NOPE'ed out of position like Pierre McGuire was chasing him with a corndog!

Even worse, chasing him with a corn dog and sharing stories about Shattuck St Mary’s.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, Strome was such a speedster with great edges before he was injured. Must be the injury that has turned him into the turtle who has one thing going for him. He can pass. :sarcasm:
If that's all you focus on, then sure. Good shot, great passer, willingness to go to the net, was slightly below average skater before the sprained ankle. On pace for 60pts. No big deal, teams give away 50-60pt scorers all the time, just hand them to other teams, right?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If that's all you focus on, then sure. Good shot, great passer, willingness to go to the net, was slightly below average skater before the sprained ankle. On pace for 60pts. No big deal, teams give away 50-60pt scorers all the time, just hand them to other teams, right?

Hmmm Strome's assets:
Good shot: he uses it so seldom it's hard to tell.
Willing to go the net: if you mean standing there on the PP, sure. When does he ever get to the net 5-on-5 I ask?
Slightly below avg skater before ankle injury: wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
50 - 60 pt getter: only if he plays top-6 with guys who can score. Meanwhile, he's not a top-6 player by most coach's standards.
Hand him to another team: a return of some kind would be nice but yes.... bring in a true NHLer who will up the pace not slow it down. The league is getting faster - guys like Strome are passe.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Hmmm Strome's assets:
Willing to go the net: if you mean standing there on the PP, sure. When does he ever get to the net 5-on-5 I ask?
50 - 60 pt getter: only if he plays top-6 with guys who can score. Meanwhile, he's not a top-6 player by most coach's standards.
Hand him to another team: a return of some kind would be nice but yes.... bring in a true NHLer who will up the pace not slow it down. The league is getting faster - guys like Strome are passe.
What do you mean by true nhler? Because if you can look at Strome's entire body of work with the Hawks and think he doesn't belong in the league you're out of your mind.

Also the list of guys in this league that can put up 50 or 60 points playing with guys who can't score is pretty short.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Good shot, he used it fine before the injury.

He was willing to go to the net a lot of times all of last year and early this year.

Yes, slightly below average before the injury, his slowness has always been over talked about from the minute he was a Hawk. He has long strides which make it seem slower.

Bring in a true NHLer..LOL. yeah 80+pts in 105 or so games = not an NHLer. This coming from a guy who loved Stalberg and Pirri.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think you at least look at the market for him. If you can get a quick physical center then I’d take it. I think I’ve said this for a while but Colton Sissons is a guy I want in Chicago. Somehow get Nashville to dump him
and maybe pick up a guy like Tomasino who I like.

Reactions: KWP and sugoi88

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
It was another game where they played overly soft except for Dach. The play, pass and turtle like they are scared half to death to get hit. Only Dach made a solid hit last night. They refuse to fight hard along the boards and in the corners. The Hawks are constantly hit, knocked down, pressured continually and they refuse to answer back. They keep playing the finesse game which they are far from being a finesse team and they give up far far too easily.

Reactions: BobbyJet and KWP

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I think you at least look at the market for him. If you can get a quick physical center then I’d take it. I think I’ve said this for a while but Colton Sissons is a guy I want in Chicago. Somehow get Nashville to dump him
and maybe pick up a guy like Tomasino who I like.
Sissons would be a great 3C behind dach and toews. Hes Carpenter with more scoring touch. Also a proven playoff performer.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Move Strome for a top 4 LHD and Nylander for a Perlini type return. Hit the market and try to find two players to play in the bottom 6. Let Kampf be the extra...

Kubalik-Toews-DeBrincat
Saad-Dach-Kane
xxx-xxx-Shaw
Smith-Carpenter-Caggiula
Kampf

Maybe try to get Pageau out of Ottawa to play 3C?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Move Strome for a top 4 LHD and Nylander for a Perlini type return. Hit the market and try to find two players to play in the bottom 6. Let Kampf be the extra...

Kubalik-Toews-DeBrincat
Saad-Dach-Kane
xxx-xxx-Shaw
Smith-Carpenter-Caggiula
Kampf

Maybe try to get Pageau out of Ottawa to play 3C?

Don’t mind any of this. Also, I’d be willing to trade any of those 4th line guys and Kampf now if a playoff team really wants them. As much as we like them, they’re the easiest kind of guys to find on the market.

Also, Highmore and Quenneville could be internal 4th line replacements

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Hmmm Strome's assets:
Hmmm...Buh-bye.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Don’t mind any of this. Also, I’d be willing to trade any of those 4th line guys and Kampf now if a playoff team really wants them. As much as we like them, they’re the easiest kind of guys to find on the market.

Also, Highmore and Quenneville could be internal 4th line replacements

Carpenter is the one I keep...Smith makes too much and Kampf is a 13F on a good team. Highmore and Quenneville are AHL call ups

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I haven't read much of this thread (just watched the last 2 periods on PVR) but I must reiterate what I said at the time: WTF was JC thinking in challenging that goal. Not that the call on the ice was necessarily right but the ref who waved it off was in prime position and was VERY emphatic about his decision. There wasn't a chance in hell that he was going to change his mind. JC is losing me. Time to give Gallant a contract before it's too late and someone else grabs him.
I agree on that, but even still I think that bad calls should galvanize a good team to win in spite of, and not let it deflate them. JC challenging the play, and not doing the admirable thing and showing the refs his appreciation for ex-goaltender Ron Tugnutt:sarcasm: was indeed dumb.

Maata moved to cover the backdoor pass but Carpenter didn't drop low to help out. In doing so it opened up the near side slot. He was screwed either way.
Carpenter looked nowhere near that close, and IMHO Maatta over committed. I think Maatta should have realized that Horvat was a much bigger threat to score than the backdoor.

Even worse, chasing him with a corn dog and sharing stories about Shattuck St Mary’s.
Maybe he heard horror stories from Ryan Miller :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad