Post-Game Talk (GBU): Blackhawk Down

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
U: More Hawks jerseys in the lower bowl than Sabres. Looks like the franchise is going to have to rely on revenues from visitors!
Another one of those understated consequences of being a complete embarrassment for a decade: a whole generation of area kids become fans of other teams and soon enough you aren't even the most popular team in your own market. Pegulia may as well cut out the middlemen and buy every kid in the GBA an Auston Matthews jersey and be done with it.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Another one of those understated consequences of being a complete embarrassment for a decade: a whole generation of area kids become fans of other teams and soon enough you aren't even the most popular team in your own market. Pegulia may as well cut out the middlemen and buy every kid in the GBA an Auston Matthews jersey and be done with it.
I get the point you're arguing, but in this particular case I think a lot of it is just a Pat Kane extended clan effect.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Same. The only players I truly hate (don’t like) are:

Okposo
Sobotka
Elie
Pomer
Girgs
Beaulieu
Scandella
McCabe

HM: Sheary
Getting close: Hutton

Other than that, I love this team.
how can you not like Girgs? He busts his ass every night and rarely ever makes mistakes. McCabe has been one of our best D this season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Same. The only players I truly hate (don’t like) are:

Okposo
Sobotka
Elie
Pomer
Girgs
Beaulieu
Scandella
McCabe

HM: Sheary
Getting close: Hutton

Other than that, I love this team.
Don't do Jake like that, he's been a beast this year. Same with Girgs but he's in a smaller role.

Member 308457

While fancy stats seem to work against Thompson and Sobotka, I do think they're probably two of the more creative players on the team. Both guys are trying pretty nifty plays out there on entries and in the offensive zone that seem to always just nick the edge of a defenders skate/stick at the last second and leads to some momentum killing/back breaking turnovers. I don't think they're dumb plays necessarily or a lack of effort, but maybe good sequences that go on just a little too long with a splash of bad luck. When it works, everyone is surprised at how effective they look (maybe not with Sobotka, but Thompson anyways)... when it doesn't, well, we get what we're currently seeing.

I mean, who cares about Sobotka... but if Thompson can just refine that creative part of his game but either pull it off a little quicker, a little better vision of the ice he has available, maybe one less move before deciding what to do with the puck... I think that's what we're all waiting for out of him. And I don't think that's unrealistic.

This deal is starting to look like ROR straight up for Thompson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The only people that really thought that Berglund and Sobotka were going to bring a lot to the table were the people that hated ROR and were looking for the silver lining to the deal.
Or the people who really wanted to lay their disdain for the ROR trade on thick, so they pretended Sobotka and Berglund were the centerpieces of the deal and ignored Thompson and the picks completely (until the season started and Thompson struggled).

Reactions: Icicle

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
how can you not like Girgs? He busts his ass every night and rarely ever makes mistakes. McCabe has been one of our best D this season.

Pretty much this, not sure how he could hate these players. Also Sheary is a pretty good player considering hes nearly .5 PPG and 4th highest scoring forward despite missing 4 games this season. He also only has a cap hit of $3m for this season and next which is a really good value.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Or the people who really wanted to lay their disdain for the ROR trade on thick, so they pretended Sobotka and Berglund were the centerpieces of the deal and ignored Thompson and the picks completely (until the season started and Thompson struggled).
It was also people who thought Mittelstadt was ready to be a 2C because all the experts had him ranked at the top of the calder race.
Now he is not even on the 4th honorary mentions squad (expert ranking)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It was also people who thought Mittelstadt was ready to be a 2C because all the experts had him ranked at the top of the calder race.
Now he is not even on the 4th honorary mentions squad (expert ranking)
Why would the people that had Mitts at 2C have valued Sobotka or Berglund highly in the trade? All Mitts success would've done is decisively push both of them down the roster. Or did you just want to throw Mitts under the bus for no particular reason. :laugh:

EDIT: Personally, I had Berglund as the 2C to replace ROR's heavy defensive center usage before the season started. That obviously didn't pan out, but even with that high opinion of Berglund I still recognized it was a trade for futures. Berglund and Sobotka were placeholders at best, cap dumps at worst. I think most people realized this, except those with an axe to grind one way or another.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Why would the people that had Mitts at 2C have valued Sobotka or Berglund highly in the trade? All Mitts success would've done is decisively push both of them down the roster. Or did you just want to throw Mitts under the bus for no particular reason. :laugh:

EDIT: Personally, I had Berglund as the 2C to replace ROR's heavy defensive center usage before the season started. That obviously didn't pan out, but even with that high opinion of Berglund I still recognized it was a trade for futures. Berglund and Sobotka were placeholders at best, cap dumps at worst. I think most people realized this, except those with an axe to grind one way or another.
For me those 2 were cap dumps but I did at least think that Berglund was a declining 3C on a bad contract.
Nobody could predict Phils Sobotka love.
I have nothing against Mitts he just takes longer to develop.

If one is to fault its management for creating this situation and then not to reacting after the winning streak to correct the situation with at least more line up infusions from Rochester.
A few more wins and we would still be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad