Post-Game Talk (GBU): Blackhawk Down

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
U: Still no roster moves where the f*** is Cj, Goaloffson Danny o Literally anything, Sobotka 35 games goalless now 1 shot in 3 games. Fire him to the moon. Can't wait for his T-Shirt.

Reactions: ValJames

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Are you comfortable with having 2 forwards in the entire organization capable of performing in top 6 NHL roles?
If we are building around Dahlin and see Eichel as support cast I’m fine with it. We’re not likely to make the playoffs next season anyway. Patience is the only way out of this mess. Look at the state of Edmonton right now.

Reactions: DatGuy

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If we are building around Dahlin and see Eichel as support cast I’m fine with it. We’re not likely to make the playoffs next season anyway. Patience is the only way out of this mess. Look at the state of Edmonton right now.

Eichel as “support cast”.

I think I’ve now heard it all.

Reactions: Snippit

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
C'mon, boys. We all knew that this was a rebuild season. That 10 game winning streak was the worst thing that could've happened to the club.

It (probably) made trailorsly think that the playoffs were a real possibility, which meant he hasn't given the prospects any time in the NHL, to get the experience that rebuilds are all about. Disregard results, focus 100% on developing the young guys coming up.
None of the "young guys coming up" are half as important as the young guys who are already here and going through this bullshit.

Culture lol

Reactions: debaser66

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
U: Lehner leads the league in GAA and save %...The Isle's are 2nd in the Conference and we are out of a playoff spot, smh
Lehner wasn't going to thrive or survive here. His success is partially a product of the Sabres moving on.

But to that point, this loss was all about goaltending, Ward kept Chicago in the game when it mattered, and Hutton did not.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
U: We're back to here. It's not fun anymore to watch the games.

Well put.

What is particularly painful is the team, both individually and collectively, are regressing as opposed to progressing.

We always knew they weren't serious Cup Contenders this year, and the 10 game run was largely puck luck and determination. However, they had at least looked better in most areas.

"Had" being the optimum word.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
That was extremely frustrating to watch. Sabres whiffing on glorious goal scoring opportunities, over passing leading to turnovers and it always leading to an odd man rush the other way. Every chance against ends up in the net.

U: Cam freaking Ward was the best of the three goaltenders that saw the ice.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Well put.

What is particularly painful is the team, both individually and collectively, are regressing as opposed to progressing.

We always knew they weren't serious Cup Contenders this year, and the 10 game run was largely puck luck and determination. However, they had at least looked better in most areas.

"Had" being the optimum word.
This has happened just about every season since Pegula took ownership. It's down right mystifying that this team actually makes 0 progress each season and actually regresses. Something is definitely wrong in Buffalo, I will now concede even the 80's teams weren't this bad. This is now the worst the organization has ever been, and that's saying something considering what this organization has gone through historically.

I have no answers.
Change the coaching staff? We've done that multiple times now and no response.
Change the players? We've done that and still...…..the same problems as the old players, lack of scoring, lack of hustle, lack of energy, lack of will to do what is necessary to win, etc. etc.
Change of GM? We've done that and still same old organizational culture issues.

Literally, the Buffalo Sabres appear not to be able to find the right match of management and players to pull the club out from the basement. And we are going on year 12 from the Drury/Breire days. This hockey club hasn't had a truly successful campaign in what? 8 years now. Holy shit, we are definitely in Edmonton Oilers territory here for sure. And that is pathetically sad.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
While fancy stats seem to work against Thompson and Sobotka, I do think they're probably two of the more creative players on the team. Both guys are trying pretty nifty plays out there on entries and in the offensive zone that seem to always just nick the edge of a defenders skate/stick at the last second and leads to some momentum killing/back breaking turnovers. I don't think they're dumb plays necessarily or a lack of effort, but maybe good sequences that go on just a little too long with a splash of bad luck. When it works, everyone is surprised at how effective they look (maybe not with Sobotka, but Thompson anyways)... when it doesn't, well, we get what we're currently seeing.

I mean, who cares about Sobotka... but if Thompson can just refine that creative part of his game but either pull it off a little quicker, a little better vision of the ice he has available, maybe one less move before deciding what to do with the puck... I think that's what we're all waiting for out of him. And I don't think that's unrealistic.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Very U: Cam Ward - Cam ****ing Ward - is 6-0-0 in his last six starts against us over the last three seasons. Pathetic.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I love half this team...and hate the other half. Funny how I've felt that way since the president winning team...coaches, rosters, and GM's change but half the roster is still absolutely garbage.
Same. The only players I truly hate (don’t like) are:

Okposo
Sobotka
Elie
Pomer
Girgs
Beaulieu
Scandella
McCabe

HM: Sheary
Getting close: Hutton

Other than that, I love this team.

Reactions: Willgamesh

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
We are the Edmonton of the USA

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
While fancy stats seem to work against Thompson and Sobotka, I do think they're probably two of the more creative players on the team. Both guys are trying pretty nifty plays out there on entries and in the offensive zone that seem to always just nick the edge of a defenders skate/stick at the last second and leads to some momentum killing/back breaking turnovers. I don't think they're dumb plays necessarily or a lack of effort, but maybe good sequences that go on just a little too long with a splash of bad luck. When it works, everyone is surprised at how effective they look (maybe not with Sobotka, but Thompson anyways)... when it doesn't, well, we get what we're currently seeing.

I mean, who cares about Sobotka... but if Thompson can just refine that creative part of his game but either pull it off a little quicker, a little better vision of the ice he has available, maybe one less move before deciding what to do with the puck... I think that's what we're all waiting for out of him. And I don't think that's unrealistic.
Please dont use the words creative and Sobotka in the same sentence.
He is hardly able to keep or thrive possession, he is a bad passer and shooter.
Thompson needs to get consistent but I don't know how with 10min of ice time and Sobotka as his linemate.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Please dont use the words creative and Sobotka in the same sentence.
He is hardly able to keep or thrive possession, he is a bad passer and shooter.
Thompson needs to get consistent but I don't know how with 10min of ice time and Sobotka as his linemate.
I dunno, Sobotka tries to make interesting plays and gets burned a lot, it hurts his stats and it hurts the team... but I can usually see what he's going for at least. And I don't always hate what he's going for, as much as I don't like the result.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I dunno, Sobotka tries to make interesting plays and gets burned a lot, it hurts his stats and it hurts the team... but I can usually see what he's going for at least. And I don't always hate what he's going for, as much as I don't like the result.
Sobotka doesnt improve anymore, he is regressing, he is over 30.
Maybe he could do what he is trying a few years ago but he obviously can't anymore.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Sobotka doesnt improve anymore, he is regressing, he is over 30.
Maybe he could do what he is trying a few years ago but he obviously can't anymore.
I don't disagree, hence the "who cares about Sobotka" part of the post you quoted before.

But I still think he's a creative player. Albeit a liability and ultimately pretty ineffective.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Man, the way the team collapsed after that first goal was telling. I know it's cliche to say, but they're mentally weak. That second period was a shit show. The team was outshot 13-2 until they scored. That's embarrassing as f*** considering the importance of this game and the caliber of the team they were playing. I booed them off the ice.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
They don’t look hopeless out there. They look snakebitten. Did we set a recent record for shots from the slot last night? Because it seemed so.

A few bad goals and they were able to overcome it in the third with some veteran leadership. That’s great. But then some more stinker goals. Heartbreaking.

Bad Bogosian killed them tonight though. Bad Bogosian is hard for any team to overcome. He’s been mostly serviceable all season so I won’t rag on him any more.

Sobotka has no excuse to still be playing. He needs to blender the top-3 lines even more.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This has happened just about every season since Pegula took ownership. It's down right mystifying that this team actually makes 0 progress each season and actually regresses. Something is definitely wrong in Buffalo, I will now concede even the 80's teams weren't this bad. This is now the worst the organization has ever been, and that's saying something considering what this organization has gone through historically.

I have no answers.
Change the coaching staff? We've done that multiple times now and no response.
Change the players? We've done that and still...…..the same problems as the old players, lack of scoring, lack of hustle, lack of energy, lack of will to do what is necessary to win, etc. etc.
Change of GM? We've done that and still same old organizational culture issues.

Literally, the Buffalo Sabres appear not to be able to find the right match of management and players to pull the club out from the basement. And we are going on year 12 from the Drury/Breire days. This hockey club hasn't had a truly successful campaign in what? 8 years now. Holy ****, we are definitely in Edmonton Oilers territory here for sure. And that is pathetically sad.

One thing we haven’t tried yet:
Hiring a good management team, with a president who knows hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->