blacked out synergy??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkeaMonkey*

BuRe#9 said:
Does anybody know how Pavel Datsyuk blacks out his synergy? If it's just reguler balck paint or if its some type of special paint.

http://www.ty-comemorabilia.com/new_page_25.htm

Regular spraypaint. A lot of players like to spraypaint the bottom of their sticks black because they believe it hides the puck better from the goalie. I've personally never seen someone spraypaint the entire stick black though.

And yes, it will color your palms black.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
He probably had a deal with another company but liked this stick better, a lot of players black out their sticks so that they don't endorse another company. David Vyborny is the only player i've seen that blacks out his sticks for no apparent reason.

RJ8812*

sponsorship, if u see in that picture he wearing bauer/nike stuff, easton makes synergy and is in major competition with them

Anthony*

yea usually its for sponsorship reasons

or the company doesnt pay an advertising fee(vic)

ive never heard of it hiding the puck or anything like that

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
sure it turns your palm black but I don't think he's buying his own gloves, or if he is I don't think its a finacial burden to him like it would be to me or you.

IkeaMonkey*

_Flyers_ said:
sponsorship, if u see in that picture he wearing bauer/nike stuff, easton makes synergy and is in major competition with them

The only time a player is FORCED to wear a certain piece of gear is when he's ENDORSING a company. Most guys can call up any big hockey manufacturer and tell the company what they want and how they want it and they will get it. Companies give the players what they want as free publicity. However, when the companies start dishing out the cash to players to ENDORSE their gear, then the players are forced to use said gear.

And no, Datsyuk was never a B/N endorser.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
datsyuk has signed on with reebok/ccm for next year, if any of you care.

he was sponsored i believe, by easton last year. they had him on their website, and i remember him using all easton stuff last year.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Yes, when that stick was originally aquired, Datsyuk was skating for Nike/Bauer. Last year and the year before he was skating for Easton, and for the upcomming season (whenever that is) he will be skating for Reebok.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
Its not spray paint. It is either an unpainted stick, or a stick with all the paint chipped off. I had a few teamates who used to do that.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
Does the NHL still make these companies pay a sponsorship fee to have their name shown on the ice?
I remember back to when Hasek was in Buffalo and a local goalie equipment manufacturer was experimenting with pads for him. the company, CSS, was forced to blank out their name on the pads because they couldn't afford the rediculous money the NHL demanded.
Anyway that is another possibility when you see the namebrand blanked out. It could be a smaller company getting screwed by the NHL and the larger companies.

BuRe#9

Mar 13, 2005
Queens, NY
devildan said:
Its not spray paint. It is either an unpainted stick, or a stick with all the paint chipped off. I had a few teamates who used to do that.

Why do you think they did that?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Bulldog fan said:
Does the NHL still make these companies pay a sponsorship fee to have their name shown on the ice?

I believe so. McKenney makes goalie pads, and their main selling point is that they sell their top of the line stuff for hundreds less than CCM/Koho/etc because they don't have to pay the NHL for licensing fees.

Joey13

BuRe#9 said:
Why do you think they did that?

Last year Denver University had a couple of players that painted the ends of their sticks black - most notably Captain Ryan Caldwell. Word had it that they thought it made it harder for the goalie to see shots and/or deflections coming off the stick. Just a thought......

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
DynamoAO said:
Regular spraypaint. A lot of players like to spraypaint the bottom of their sticks black because they believe it hides the puck better from the goalie. I've personally never seen someone spraypaint the entire stick black though.

And yes, it will color your palms black.

Keith Primeau has spraypainted his stick black for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad