Movies: Black Widow - heading to Disney +

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
A black widow movie might be the first marvel movie I skip unless it gets amazing reviews. Her character just doesn’t seem like someone who’s backstory I care about (idk about the comics ) from what I’ve seen in the movies.

It seems like they are pushing this just because ScarJo is black widow

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I paid to watch Catwoman expecting little more than Halle Berry in a catsuit.

I'm sure whatever Marvel comes up with beyond ScarJo in latex will be better than CGI cat breath, so I'm in.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A black widow movie might be the first marvel movie I skip unless it gets amazing reviews. Her character just doesn’t seem like someone who’s backstory I care about (idk about the comics ) from what I’ve seen in the movies.

It seems like they are pushing this just because ScarJo is black widow

You mean her backstory as a trained KGB agent/assassin who was forced to give up her ability to have children etc. They likely would also include Cliff Barton as some point if they decide to make it somewhat similar to the comics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You mean her backstory as a trained KGB agent/assassin who was forced to give up her ability to have children etc. They likely would also include Cliff Barton as some point if they decide to make it somewhat similar to the comics.

And who doesn't want to know whappened in Budapest?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’ve always liked Black Widow in that she’s a spy and not just some overpowered mutant.

With the right script and plot, I think it could be really good.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Not interested. It’s comically ridiculous that she’s an Avenger to begin with. Not interested at all in any backstory.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not interested. It’s comically ridiculous that she’s an Avenger to begin with. Not interested at all in any backstory.
How is it comically ridiculous?

Despite her origins as an agent of evil, Natasha Romanoff has become a force for good in the world of covert intelligence and super heroics. Like her namesake arachnid, Romanoff is stealthy, precise, and absolutely lethal. She is the Black Widow.

Soviet Spy. Trained Assassin. Legendary Avenger. No character has had a wilder history than Black Widow, from her beginnings as a trained spy for the Soviet Union up to her present day standing as one of the most respected Avengers.

She is a very interesting character in the comics and actually has enhanced durability and slowed aging which has never been brought up in the MCU but could and would explain how she isn't hurt easily.

Black Widow (Natasha Romanova) - Standard In Comics Full Report | Marvel

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How is it comically ridiculous?

Yeah that is an over exaggeration considering these are comic book movies, but that aside there are certainly a couple characters who without the comic history backing them would belong more in shield than on the Avengers. Personally I think Falcon is the worst offender, I mean in the MCU he was just a dude Cap met jogging who happened to have been part of an experimental unit using an advanced wing suit. Then I'd put War Machine at #2 here, who's just Stark's buddy and a part of the military who for some reason got his own iron man suit? Not sure why he's part of the Avengers and not just military, by his standard anyone could get some toys from Stark and join. Blackwidow and Hawkeye at the very least were elite shield agents.

Getting back to a movie, it's obvious that some people are going to bitch about it, but what I'm more concerned/curious about is how this movie will fit into the 'MCU'. In that Marvel has released 3 movies a year and they've all done the shared universe thing to slowly build towards Infinity War. Can a Black Widow really fit into that structure so late in the game or would it just be a "Solo" type movie? The Marvel guys have always known what they're doing though so you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll have something worked out.

Reactions: tacogeoff

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This screams of making a movie about a secondary character simply because you feel the need to be inclusive.

Captain Marvel is more than good enough. Black Widow's greatest service to the MCU will be to die in Part II so that Hulk can finally lose it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And who doesn't want to know whappened in Budapest?

They could start with that and possibly tie in the Banner love story at some point towards the end. IMO there's a lot of potential material, it'll be interesting to see where they go with it. While she is very under powered for a superhero I still think they could make a damn good movie about her.

Reactions: NyQuil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This screams of making a movie about a secondary character simply because you feel the need to be inclusive.

Captain Marvel is more than good enough. Black Widow's greatest service to the MCU will be to die in Part II so that Hulk can finally lose it.

Oh man would he ever.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Oh man would he ever.

It seems to be the obvious direction they've been taking the story over the last three films he's been in. They'd be stupid not to. Predictability isn't bad if it's the best story to tell.

Or they could go a different route and have BW push Bruce off the ledge to gain control over the soul stone, and then cop out of that death and have the Hulk pop back up.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I actually just re-watched Iron Man 2 tonight for the first time since maybe a year after it was released. Not only is it a considerably better (fun, well-paced, entertaining) film than most rate it, Black Widow/ScarJo is great both as Black Widow (the scene where she single-handled wrecks the Hammer security team is great) and undercover, in fact she almost steals the film.

Reactions: Pilky01 and beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not really.

Agreed, I think this is simply them doing what a sizable number of fans have been asking for. A Black Widow solo movie has been something that has been bandied about since the after the first Avengers movie came out. Either solo or with Hawkeye.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad