Confirmed with Link: Bjorkstrand re-signs 5 years/$27 million

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Perfect term length. Contract ending right after he turns 31. Excellent.

I'm a bit surprised at people that don't like the cost. Bjorkstrand is a first-line winger. He's scored 20 goals the past two years and was on pace for a 35-goal season this past season (per 82 games) and is just now entering his prime. This contract buys only one year of RFA time and four years of UFA. While the NHL's in a bit of rough financial shape temporarily, the league should be back to relative normal by the 2022-23 season at latest (which is the second year of the deal and the first of the four "UFA" years), plus adding a new TV deal will increase the salary cap. He almost certainly would've gotten $6M+ on the open market in summer 2022.

Overall, I think this is a great deal for us, and happy we have a key piece locked up for the foreseeable future. Congrats to Oliver on the contract and the engagement!

ETA: Also, if you value these things, advanced stats LOVE him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Don't know if there's a better thread for this but...
upload_2021-3-19_12-32-39.png

Bjorkstrand is working on a career high points per game and doing so in ~1 minute less TOI per game than last season. He has 18 points in his last 20 games, despite being yanked around the lineup with different linemates, oftentimes relegated to a middle six line.

Pretty safe to say, I think, that we have a 1st line winger. Only ~29 wingers in the entire league have a better points per game average this season.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Bjorkstrand is nr. 11 in the League in Even strength point with 23 points this season...
Really Underrated.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Two great wingers and Who The f*** Knows for centers? Gosh, it's the Nash/Zherdev days all over again.
The part of David Vyborny will be played by Cam Atkinson.
IMHO two great wingers can play even with Winnie-the-Pooh.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Contract looks pretty fair to me, you get his prime years, he gets paid. Always liked Olivers composure in front of net, and judging from what I've seen so far this season, he keeps getting better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad