Bizarre unusual things you noticed in the crowd/bench during a game

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Mike Bossy's goal where he gets 50-in-50. I have always wondered what the heck that thing was that went flying in the air in the crowd after he scored. It honestly looks like a popcorn bucket of some sort. Too big to be a beer. You see it immediately after he scores right on the screen.

The Oilers win in 1984, and as Bob Cole is calling it you see Messier for whatever reason standing in the corner motioning to some fans, maybe his family? He then gets excited as the buzzer goes off and flings his stick in the air and I have no idea where that landed, but it looks a lot like it lands in the crowd and that part of the crowd probably wasn't paying attention to a potential flying stick.

Reactions: Vanzig

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I once saw a fan at the old Pacific Coleseum get so pissed at a ref’s call that he tried to throw his coffee onto the ice. Unfortunately for the people in front of him, he was about 20 rows back.

Reactions: Angelonius

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Lets just say the Winnipeg Arena was an interesting place full of interesting people, especially in the thousands of crap seats where you could hardly see the game.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but some bizarre/unusual "things" that comes to mind...

VX2okVZ-magic.jpg

1962 – Bob Nevin losing one of his contacts and everyone looking for it

fan-fighter.jpg

1968 - Angry fan at Madison Square Garden with a smoke in his mouth and swinging his belt at Jacques Laperriere and Terry Harper, before being stopped by an NYPD officer

DuUCDYfXQAA8lcN.jpg

1972 – Wayne Cashman and Jim Schoenfeld being the main combatants when they crashed through the zamboni entrance in the Aud

C-iaaxrXsAAh6_4.jpg

1973 – New Haven (EHL) goalie Jim Armstrong trying to strangle referee Gordie Heagle…old time hockey

5b2e4f6b60057.image.jpg

4253c53196752d4b364ec20b22be9be9

1975 – Players swatting at a bat during the 1975 Stanley Cup finals, with Jim Lorentz finally nailing it

CorruptInsignificantAidi-small.gif

1979 – Steve “Mental Case” Durbano making an exit for the ages, picking up 45 penalty minutes and mooning the fans at Madison Square Garden. He only played four more NHL games after that.
Worth mentioning is that good old Steve had 31 penalty minutes in his last NHL game.
That two game total would put him among the 25 most penalized players in the NHL last season

maxresdefault.jpg

1979 – All-time classic already mentioned here. Bruins defenseman Mike Milbury slapping a Rangers fan with the man's own shoe

IG2M2MSJTBBZXGDYXGLFBHHXLE

1987 – The pre-skate brawl between the Canadiens and Flyers when guys came out without skates or equipment to join in

n1dvmibmd3f01.gif

1992 – Rob Ray pummeling a Nordiques fan in front of the Sabres bench

836081af9cb57f4091706d4c161c1fc0.gif

2000 – Devils coach Robbie Ftorek throwing a bench onto the ice

636293317648572060-AP-MAPLE-LEAFS-FLYERS-FAN-ATTACK.jpg

FlimsyHealthyJunco-size_restricted.gif

2001 - Tie Domi pouring water on a heckling Flyers fan who then fell through the plexi trying to get at Domi

karma.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2001 – Instant Karma. Steve Sullivan got cut for a few stitches and was belittled by an out-spoken Avalanche fan as Sullivan was leaving the ice. A short while later that same fan got hit by an errant puck from a Patrick Roy clearing attempt. He was bleeding like a pig and to add salt to the wounds, Sullivan managed to score two shorthanded goals 51 seconds apart in the game

wtf_pictures_of_the_day_08.jpg

2002 – A Calgary Flames fan scaling the plexi only wearing a wristwatch and red socks, landing off-balance, his head striking the ice, knocking himself out, and leaving on a stretcher

mact.gif

2003 - Battle of Alberta when Oilers coach Craig MacTavish gave the Flames mascot a tongue lashing…

MdvsCOqmmzkIy4tgKu5gEyxn8qyQesrFVO9znZu4S6U.jpg

2008 – The Zamboni leaking hydraulic fluid at Mellon arena so that it looked like a player had been run over

598650-22190075-1600-900.jpg

CompassionateNewInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

2010 - Former NHL-coach Jim Playfair going bananas behind the bench in the AHL

blackhawks-fan-steals-adam-pardy-helmet.gif

jets1.jpg

2013 – Adam Pardy getting his helmet ripped off by a drunk Blackhawks fan

maxresdefault.jpg

2013 - Paul MacLean’s look-alike was pretty funny

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah, some of those were unique. I've seen most of them before. Did not see the one where Nevin lost his contact lenses. That's funny. As someone who wears contacts I can't imagine being able to ever find them on the ice. I've lost them because I couldn't find them when they fall in the bathroom sink because they are clear.

That streaker in Calgary, I think his name was Tim Hurlbut, that was one of the weirdest things in all of hockey. He knocked himself out cold when he hit the ice and he is lying.......(ahem) on his back wearing nothing but socks. Not the best game you want to take your kid to. But I've seen that picture a few times before and it is a perfectly timed picture but I just have to wonder what exactly was going through his mind. Not only that, how the heck did he scale the glass............naked? I am sure every other guy is crossing his legs wondering what it felt like to climb over the top of the glass in your birthday suit. If I believe what I have read before I think the guy is a Real Estate Agent in Medicine Hat now. I'd buy a house from him just to hear him explain that incident.

Reactions: wetcoast

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
One thing I always thought was really weird was when Petr nedved scored the big overtime goal in 1996 against Washington and they're panning through the crowd and this one guy is just standing there and only starts cheering when he realizes the camera is on him. Go to 1:15.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
Mike Bossy's goal where he gets 50-in-50. I have always wondered what the heck that thing was that went flying in the air in the crowd after he scored. It honestly looks like a popcorn bucket of some sort. Too big to be a beer. You see it immediately after he scores right on the screen.

The Oilers win in 1984, and as Bob Cole is calling it you see Messier for whatever reason standing in the corner motioning to some fans, maybe his family? He then gets excited as the buzzer goes off and flings his stick in the air and I have no idea where that landed, but it looks a lot like it lands in the crowd and that part of the crowd probably wasn't paying attention to a potential flying stick.

LOL, It’s funny you noticed that, My brothers and I always laughed when we watched that game/Highlites!!!
MESSIER just heaves it, U gotta wonder if someone got nailed with it or some lucky fan got a killer souvenir.
Good eye Phil.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
One thing I always thought was really weird was when Petr nedved scored the big overtime goal in 1996 against Washington and they're panning through the crowd and this one guy is just standing there and only starts cheering when he realizes the camera is on him. Go to 1:15.

Very, very delayed reaction. I am not sure if he was watching something on the ice that was happening afterwards or what. Or maybe he was just exhausted? I remember that game, I fell asleep on the couch and didn't learn about the outcome until the next day (1996, what can you say.........barely any internet).

LOL, It’s funny you noticed that, My brothers and I always laughed when we watched that game/Highlites!!!
MESSIER just heaves it, U gotta wonder if someone got nailed with it or some lucky fan got a killer souvenir.
Good eye Phil.

All I know is that it looks like that stick goes very, very close if not over the boards on the other side of where Messier was standing. Yeah, that would have hurt if it hit someone not paying attention, which is quite possible as most fans would have been watching the bench empty.

Reactions: Vanzig

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Game 6, 1994 ECF. Messier's guarantee. On his second goal of the night, the GWG that puts the Rangers up 3-2, the camera zooms to the crowd and you see a girl and a guy give a fake double-high five to each other where the intentionally miss each other's arms. For whatever reason, this always stuck with me. I think the fact that the feed immediately cuts away from them makes it. You can see it at 17:10 of the video.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Game 6, 1994 ECF. Messier's guarantee. On his second goal of the night, the GWG that puts the Rangers up 3-2, the camera zooms to the crowd and you see a girl and a guy give a fake double-high five to each other where the intentionally miss each other's arms. For whatever reason, this always stuck with me. I think the fact that the feed immediately cuts away from them makes it. You can see it at 17:10 of the video.

haha, do they intentionally miss each other's hands though? That seems weird to do that. I think she is sort of stumbles and because of that misses his hands. Either way, very bizarre and fits the thread.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad