Proposal: Bishop to Philly

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not trading a top prospect for a UFA. Especially one that we (likely) wouldn't be able to resign, without completely reshuffling our cap structure.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pretty sure that Yzerman would love a chance to get Sanheim in a deal for Bishop, Considering that Tampa can use another RHD or 2 just don't see Yzerman trading Bishop within the conference though.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Philly isn't likely to be a Cup contender this year, no matter who's in net, so if we're to upgrade at the position, we might as well just ride with Mason/Neuvirth/Stolarz this year, and see what options open up in free agency. We certainly aren't giving up a top prospect for someone at this stage of the game.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Thats alot to give up for a playoff hunt rental for a team that is in the same division as the Capitals, Penguins, Rangers and dare i say surging devils :sarcasm:

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
What if the trade the trade took place in January, and a sign and trade occurred, and then one of the flyers goalies to offset the cap difference. Both Neuvy and Mase contracts expire.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Like this is really the Flyers goaltending level. They will, eventually, bounce back. I'm not sure if the D does though. I'm not actually sure if they can bounce back if the D is playing like that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What if the trade the trade took place in January, and a sign and trade occurred, and then one of the flyers goalies to offset the cap difference. Both Neuvy and Mase contracts expire.

No. Everything Hextall has done since taking over has preached patience and no longer trading the kids that factor heavily into the organization's plans. It would be a complete 180 to move Sanheim for a 30 year old goalie about to get a massive contract.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
No. Everything Hextall has done since taking over has preached patience and no longer trading the kids that factor heavily into the organization's plans. It would be a complete 180 to move Sanheim for a 30 year old goalie about to get a massive contract.

This.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't like Bishop at all. I wouldn't want the Flyers to trade for him, especially if the asking price is Sanheim.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

The difference between UFA Bishop and UFA Mason isn't Sanheim. It doesn't matter when the deal happens.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
It's just difficult to imagine a Bishop trade that would work for both teams, pretty much regardless of who the other team is. We're trying to win the Cup this season so his value to us is immense, yet between our cap crunch and already having more quality players than we can protect from expansion receiving sufficient value for him would be difficult.

We would basically need a "can't miss" elite young expansion-exempt player/prospect at a position of need (RHD being the most obvious) - there's really no other possibility that would realistically work both for the Lightning and the other team in the deal. For instance dumping Callahan as part of the deal would work for the Lightning and would lessen the required return, but no team that he would waive his NMC to go to could afford both him and an extended Bishop and taking back cap that doesn't expire this offseason is a nonstarter for the Lightning. And pretty much any other offer of sufficient value on paper would require displacing a player or players as good as or better than the one(s) being offered to us, which of course decreases the actual value to the Lightning significantly.

Basically something like Bishop for Honka might have been realistic had Dallas not been saddled with two overpriced goaltenders they can't move; if you're another team looking to make a deal for Bishop that's the sort of thing you'd have to offer to attract Yzerman's interest. The question then becomes whether or not you want to give up that sort of player when you can pursue Bishop in less than a year without giving anybody up; understandably a lot of teams would say no to that. But anything less and the Lightning say no, which is why I say a trade is unlikely.

nobody0211

Sep 25, 2014
Plant City
It's just difficult to imagine a Bishop trade that would work for both teams, pretty much regardless of who the other team is. We're trying to win the Cup this season so his value to us is immense, yet between our cap crunch and already having more quality players than we can protect from expansion receiving sufficient value for him would be difficult.

We would basically need a "can't miss" elite young expansion-exempt player/prospect at a position of need (RHD being the most obvious) - there's really no other possibility that would realistically work both for the Lightning and the other team in the deal. For instance dumping Callahan as part of the deal would work for the Lightning and would lessen the required return, but no team that he would waive his NMC to go to could afford both him and an extended Bishop and taking back cap that doesn't expire this offseason is a nonstarter for the Lightning. And pretty much any other offer of sufficient value on paper would require displacing a player or players as good as or better than the one(s) being offered to us, which of course decreases the actual value to the Lightning significantly.

Basically something like Bishop for Honka might have been realistic had Dallas not been saddled with two overpriced goaltenders they can't move; if you're another team looking to make a deal for Bishop that's the sort of thing you'd have to offer to attract Yzerman's interest. The question then becomes whether or not you want to give up that sort of player when you can pursue Bishop in less than a year without giving anybody up; understandably a lot of teams would say no to that. But anything less and the Lightning say no, which is why I say a trade is unlikely.

Well said.

I'd like to add that there are probably only a handful of teams that would fit as trade partners with TB. The other team would have to feel that they are really only a good Goalie away from making it far into the playoffs...and they have a good enough prospect that fits TB needs.

I feel nobody can make such an offer and TB would love to have vasy and Bishop for our playoff run. So I think Bishop will be the starting goalie next year for Vegas

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Don't want Bishop.

Don't care what our current situation is, but: I think Mason is every bit as good as Bishop. Right now we're in a slump goaltending-wise. Once we're out of it (even if it takes the whole year), we'll be fine.

Trading for a goaltender & using valuable assets to obtain them is insane for Philly when they have Mason & Neuvirth right now (who are underperforming, but still).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad