Movies: Bird Box (Netflix Orginal Movie) - Over 45 Million Views in 7 Days

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Saw it, didn't care for it. It's just become such an overused concept now. Can't see, can't hear, can't talk, can't s***, etc.

And maybe it's just me but I can really tell the difference from a Netflix quality show and a theatrical one. It's just not there.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The ending in the novel was much darker and (probably) more realistic, for what it's worth.

In the end of the novel Mallorie and the children arrive at the refuge to find that nearly all of the inhabitant have intentionally blinded themselves as a way to protect themselves.

Yeah that’s what I was hoping it’d end up being.

It was a good movie. Nothing crazy though. Fair or not, it reminded me too much of a blind version of “A Quiet Place”

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I liked it early on...the imagery of it was quite a draw. I guess my only complaint is that I don't like when movies don't establish the "rules" of the movie in the first 10 or 15 minutes...great movies tend to just set up how it's gonna work in the first 10 or 15, and then spend the rest of the time telling the story...busted opportunity movies (think "Inception") tend to have to keep explaining rules 40, 50, 55 minutes in or contradict rules that it already established earlier. In the early scene where Sandra Bullock (who was strong in a movie where she wasn't given an opportunity to be better) and her sister are driving, there's a mish mash of people who are affected immediately by the [whatever] and people who are not...like, Bullock's sister but not Bullock in the same car...like John Malkovich's wife, but not Bullock or Malkovich who are both staring at the same thing at the same time, etc. I figured there was a rhyme or reason to this, but we come to find out that virtually any second of staring outside instantly kills the other characters (the homosexual Asian man, the annoying pregnant woman, etc.) -- wasn't the case to start.

Like with many things in this movie, there's no explanation. I don't mind things being left to my imagination, I don't mind a monster movie with no monster, but there's a lot that I'm forced to fill in for a story that I'm paying you to tell me. If you're not going to have much real suspense (finding different ways of not looking out windows for two hours, it turns out, loses its fun at about minute 20), at least have characters that I can be suspenseful for. That mass of completely random humanity in Malkovich's house are there because...? Why his house? Why are there so few others that were able to remain indoors in the same way...? It's not like Malkovich was any better prepared than anyone else for this completely random worldwide, invisible attack.

Malkovich being delightfully Malkovich was one of the bright spots at least...and we learn a little about him along the way. I wouldn't even have minded if he was a little less sloppy in his leadership of the whole thing, but it would have held up an already thin plot even further probably.

The concept of time is lost on me in this and maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...it's weird for me to ever say that a movie felt rushed, especially one with such a thin screenplay, but from a character standpoint, it certainly seemed that way. The love interest announces itself within, a few hours? A few days? A week? I forget when the frightened supermarket flunkie decides to spill the beans that he works at a supermarket (which was necessary, apparently, despite him wearing his name tag all the live long day (days?))...more on time, why did the river scene need to happen five years later? How on earth is everyone dead (apparently?) but yet there's still some electricity flowing for days, there's a clean water supply, etc. Meanwhile, children who were born after the apocalypse and know no other world, still need it to be explained to them about the blindfolds and the blankets? But why? You guys never had that talk? That's never once come up...that you can't ever look outside for even a second, ever? Seems improbable. In the same vein that when you get close to the [whatever] that you hear voices of past loved ones trying to convince you to look...that never happened ever before in the last five years? You're just now figuring that out. How you add that "rule" at the 110th minute is startling...again, I get the kids needed to grow up I guess or else finding a school for the blind in the middle of rainforest (?) wouldn't have been as impactful...but generally speaking, that scene should have happened about a week or two after this all started...five years? Who is still looking for people on a walkie talkie after five years? You'd think you would have found all the survivors well before then...

The supermarket scene and the ride to get there is good drama and appropriate...it's after that where it starts to really sputter. What happened to the punk ****** and the alleged cop girl who seemed positively incompetent whenever anything remotely serious transpired...? They just drove away and...? They were positively flat, filler characters...clearly would not have been friends with Malkovich, so who knows why they were there in the first place...and just like that, they were gone...bye. Maybe you'll show up in the sequel...?

So Bullock and the kids ride down the river for like two straight days or whatever, birds, who they've managed to keep alive for five years, don't die when the boat flips and everyone almost drowns...just for all to surface just steps away from a Keith Richards community service conquest and the kids get named after deceased characters of some regard to try to give some semblance of normalcy to their lives in this destined-to-fail, how-has-it-not-yet utopia...all right, fine...

When the credits rolled, I was disappointed in the lack of ending...but then I realized I was more disappointed in the lack of middle...I guess because you left more questions than answers behind, you can squeeze a sequel out of it by keeping one strong protagonist and the introduction of a score of new characters from the blind school...I don't know if this movie is anything more than just "The Mist" without the creatures and without the direction though...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just watched it... It was ok and probably worthy of a watch when your bored but I wouldn't recommend for anyone to go out of there way to watch this.

Some questionable plot holes as already explained above(Certain characters not immediately turning suicidal when they look at the whatever). And the ending left a sour taste as well. Just felt like more should have happened to end it and maybe explain things a little clearer. Why were some people in a way immune from the whatever?

Overall it was decent, but not amazing and I'm only assuming the reason this movie has so much hype and talk around it is from the meme that has generated out of it because the movie itself is not worthy of that discussion and hype(Nor is the meme for that matter).

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Meh... Just couldn't suspend my disbelief at key moments, and for that reason I'm out.

I don't get the mega hype it had. 5/10 for me.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I liked it early on...the imagery of it was quite a draw. I guess my only complaint is that I don't like when movies don't establish the "rules" of the movie in the first 10 or 15 minutes...great movies tend to just set up how it's gonna work in the first 10 or 15, and then spend the rest of the time telling the story...busted opportunity movies (think "Inception") tend to have to keep explaining rules 40, 50, 55 minutes in or contradict rules that it already established earlier. In the early scene where Sandra Bullock (who was strong in a movie where she wasn't given an opportunity to be better) and her sister are driving, there's a mish mash of people who are affected immediately by the [whatever] and people who are not...like, Bullock's sister but not Bullock in the same car...like John Malkovich's wife, but not Bullock or Malkovich who are both staring at the same thing at the same time, etc. I figured there was a rhyme or reason to this, but we come to find out that virtually any second of staring outside instantly kills the other characters (the homosexual Asian man, the annoying pregnant woman, etc.) -- wasn't the case to start.

Like with many things in this movie, there's no explanation. I don't mind things being left to my imagination, I don't mind a monster movie with no monster, but there's a lot that I'm forced to fill in for a story that I'm paying you to tell me. If you're not going to have much real suspense (finding different ways of not looking out windows for two hours, it turns out, loses its fun at about minute 20), at least have characters that I can be suspenseful for. That mass of completely random humanity in Malkovich's house are there because...? Why his house? Why are there so few others that were able to remain indoors in the same way...? It's not like Malkovich was any better prepared than anyone else for this completely random worldwide, invisible attack.

Malkovich being delightfully Malkovich was one of the bright spots at least...and we learn a little about him along the way. I wouldn't even have minded if he was a little less sloppy in his leadership of the whole thing, but it would have held up an already thin plot even further probably.

The concept of time is lost on me in this and maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...it's weird for me to ever say that a movie felt rushed, especially one with such a thin screenplay, but from a character standpoint, it certainly seemed that way. The love interest announces itself within, a few hours? A few days? A week? I forget when the frightened supermarket flunkie decides to spill the beans that he works at a supermarket (which was necessary, apparently, despite him wearing his name tag all the live long day (days?))...more on time, why did the river scene need to happen five years later? How on earth is everyone dead (apparently?) but yet there's still some electricity flowing for days, there's a clean water supply, etc. Meanwhile, children who were born after the apocalypse and know no other world, still need it to be explained to them about the blindfolds and the blankets? But why? You guys never had that talk? That's never once come up...that you can't ever look outside for even a second, ever? Seems improbable. In the same vein that when you get close to the [whatever] that you hear voices of past loved ones trying to convince you to look...that never happened ever before in the last five years? You're just now figuring that out. How you add that "rule" at the 110th minute is startling...again, I get the kids needed to grow up I guess or else finding a school for the blind in the middle of rainforest (?) wouldn't have been as impactful...but generally speaking, that scene should have happened about a week or two after this all started...five years? Who is still looking for people on a walkie talkie after five years? You'd think you would have found all the survivors well before then...

The supermarket scene and the ride to get there is good drama and appropriate...it's after that where it starts to really sputter. What happened to the punk ****** and the alleged cop girl who seemed positively incompetent whenever anything remotely serious transpired...? They just drove away and...? They were positively flat, filler characters...clearly would not have been friends with Malkovich, so who knows why they were there in the first place...and just like that, they were gone...bye. Maybe you'll show up in the sequel...?

So Bullock and the kids ride down the river for like two straight days or whatever, birds, who they've managed to keep alive for five years, don't die when the boat flips and everyone almost drowns...just for all to surface just steps away from a Keith Richards community service conquest and the kids get named after deceased characters of some regard to try to give some semblance of normalcy to their lives in this destined-to-fail, how-has-it-not-yet utopia...all right, fine...

When the credits rolled, I was disappointed in the lack of ending...but then I realized I was more disappointed in the lack of middle...I guess because you left more questions than answers behind, you can squeeze a sequel out of it by keeping one strong protagonist and the introduction of a score of new characters from the blind school...I don't know if this movie is anything more than just "The Mist" without the creatures and without the direction though...

You clearly took the movie WAY too serious. The movie didn't tell us anything else that the main characters didn't know so i'm not sure why you're complaining about "filling in the blanks". Most of your arguments really make no sense and you just look way too deep into things, just enjoy the movie man and stop overthinking everything.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It’s a better meme than movie. I enjoyed watching it once but definitely called from the beginning that nothing would really be explained.

It’s a nice thrill for a few hours. Not something I’d watch again.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
It was decent. That scene with the boat flipping in the rapids yet everyone ends up OK was just way too phony.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Some questionable plot holes as already explained above(Certain characters not immediately turning suicidal when they look at the whatever). And the ending left a sour taste as well. Just felt like more should have happened to end it and maybe explain things a little clearer. Why were some people in a way immune from the whatever?

Overall it was decent, but not amazing and I'm only assuming the reason this movie has so much hype and talk around it is from the meme that has generated out of it because the movie itself is not worthy of that discussion and hype(Nor is the meme for that matter).
This is my biggest gripe of the movie. They may have intentionally left some things open to spur discussion and theories among fans, but to me, it just comes off as lazy or un-finished. From what I could see the novel doesn't explain it in any more depth than the movie. I legitimately think the only reason that some people were 'immune' was because without humans who actively tried to get others to look there would be no problems. They would all be able to stay indoors and wear blindfolds forever and not have any worries.

Maybe the author/director tried to come up with something, but couldn't come up with anything compelling, so they just left it open... Idk.

It's also stupid that they never explained why/how these things came about, where they came from, or what they actually are. I'm really not a fan of movies leaving loose ends for fans to create theories based on nothing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll probably watch it eventually but my issue with stuff like this is in my opinion you need to at least have a glimpse of whatever the antagonist is. From doing so research on the source material I know what it is supposed to look like so give us the viewer a "taste."

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Loved the story and had terrific acting, contrary to negative opinion here I really enjoyed the ending and found it had a huge intelligent and virtuous payoff !

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Do you know the book’s ending?

Yes I'm aware of it but didn't read the book, I enjoyed this one as it set a ray of positive sunshine on an otherwise very dark movie plot whereas the other ending continued the doom and gloom.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yes I'm aware of it but didn't read the book, I enjoyed this one as it set a ray of positive sunshine on an otherwise very dark movie plot whereas the other ending continued the doom and gloom.

Yeah same here. Just wondering if you were aware of both. I’m a much bigger fan of the book one, honestly that wouldn’t been a much better ending imo.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Just watched. I really liked it at first, but about an hour in, I started to get bored.

Where is this river? Longest river ever, and so straight and perfect for blind navigation.

The end was meh.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I just don't get the hype for this one at all. There are some good moments of suspense (as opposed to genuine scares which are virtually non-existent), but the whole thing seems contrived to give you each chunk of suspense in a series of 15 to 20 minute intervals, like it's some sort of relentless production line. It all seems very mechanical and contrived.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I just don't get the hype for this one at all. There are some good moments of suspense (as opposed to genuine scares which are virtually non-existent), but the whole thing seems contrived to give you each chunk of suspense in a series of 15 to 20 minute intervals, like it's some sort of relentless production line. It all seems very mechanical and contrived.
It's purely viral marketing. People kept talking about or doing that "Bird Box Challenge". Even if you weren't aware of the challenge, you're still likely to have heard "Bird Box" mentioned through word of mouth, and a lot of people checked it out just based on that. I think almost everyone acknowledges that's it's a generic and average horror movie, or at least people that have seen a decent amount of movies do. Kind of crazy how much it did for the movie.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched it this evening and liked it. I liked it a little more than A Quiet Place, which I was not as high on as most reviewers. A Quiet Place felt a little more contrived to me (ex. the hearing aid) and John Krasinksi's lack of experience, especially directing suspense, showed in places. Bird Box felt a bit more believable and the direction more even and veteran. The acting was very strong, not just from Bullock and Malkovich, but also from the supporting actors. Every aspect felt of the highest quality to me and I never would've guessed that it wasn't a theatrical film.

I don't agree with the criticism of the phenomenon not being explained or shown. Leaving it a mystery is important for the suspense. The survivors don't know its nature or appearance, so keeping both a mystery to us, too, helps us to feel what they're feeling (ex. panic, confusion, paranoia). A lesser director might've overly explained and shown the thing and ruined the suspense and the movie, itself. That's the worst thing that you can do to a horror/suspense film, IMO, because the mystery is needed for suspension of disbelief. For example, once you explain why a killer is murdering people, he loses his terrifying aura. In fact, that's one reason why I think that A Quiet Place shot itself in the foot in the last third of the film, since it showed too much and lost the suspense that it cultivated in the first two thirds. I like that the writer and director of Bird Box resisted the temptation to show or explain the thing, even at the end. Instead of wanting answers, embrace the mystery and use your imagination, IMO.

There were a few things that I wasn't a big fan of...
One was the driving blind, which should not have been as successful as it was, IMO.

Another is that it wasn't at all believable for a police cadet to have impulsive sex with a stoner, then embrace him the next day as though they're a couple and then steal a car to run away with him shortly after. Those characters and that sequence seemed like a poorly written excuse just to remove the car from the story.

The last was that the refuge being a school for the blind lost some of its significance, IMO, by having inhabitants that could see and, conveniently, a greenhouse covering. Why would a school for the blind have that? It feels like it was written in just to provide a happier ending in which the survivors aren't doomed to being shut in indoors and, maybe, to give the title a double meaning (i.e. with the school is, itself, being a bird box).
Those weren't enough to spoil it for me, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Don't think too much and you'll enjoy it. My review...

************************************************************************************

Bird Box [2018] (* Netflix *) :

Medusa pays a visit and the results are not pretty as people start killing themselves by the millions. There are few survivors. Sandra Bullock and two adorable kids (named Boy and Girl) try and find their way to safety.

Bird Box breaks three of MY cardinal rules of movie making :

1) Don't put young kids in harm's way - it's a cheap/easy way to build suspense and it's too upsetting;
2) Don't ask me to suspend disbelief (over and over again);
3) Don't outstay your welcome.

Bird Box does all three in spades. Still, I quite enjoyed this Netflix Original that is equal part The Fog, The Walking Dead and A Quiet Place.

7/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad