Movies: Bird Box (Netflix Orginal Movie) - Over 45 Million Views in 7 Days

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Anyone watch this yet? Most streamed original movie in the first week of release in Netflix history.

I thought it was a top notch movie. Probably my favorite original movie to date from Netflix. Highly recommend it. It's a mix of horror/thriller.

Wasn't the greatest ending of all time but it was still decent, the entire movie was very well done though.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I was going to make a thread on this the other day, but never got around to it. I'm kinda surprised there's not a fairly active thread on it by now.

I watched it and thought it was a pretty good movie. I'm usually not into the popular trending movies, but I enjoyed this one. Makes me want to read the book. I thought it was a rip-off of A Quiet Place until I found out that the Novel was written in 2014.

I'd certainly recommend it.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the ending and not finding out or seeing the "force" or "demons". But I don't think that it was necessary to see them.

I like this guy's explanation of the movie and (mostly) echoes my feelings.

Reactions: CPTN71

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
I've seen a lot of people complain about the ending and not finding out or seeing the "force" or "demons". But I don't think that it was necessary to see them.

I like this guy's explanation of the movie and (mostly) echoes my feelings.

My only real problem is that they didn't explain the phenomenon. I don't care what they look like, you can see from Gary's drawings what they're actually meant to look like. But I don't enjoy these kinds of stories where there is a huge catastrophic apocalyptic event that is never explained. I understand that they want to create a basis for fans to pull what they can out of the movie to try to create their own theories. But I find it somewhat lazy in these types of stories to not explain why the main premise of the story is happening...

Reactions: Flukeshot

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It reminded me of a cross between the Happening and a Quiet Place. Had no idea about it being a novel, so I'm interested to check out the book.

For what it was, I thought it was entertaining and enjoyable. John Malkovich is such a great asshole. :laugh:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
It reminded me of a cross between the Happening and a Quiet Place. Had no idea about it being a novel, so I'm interested to check out the book.

For what it was, I thought it was entertaining and enjoyable. John Malkovich is such a great *******. :laugh:
My girlfriend would not stop talking about the fkn Happening the entire movie, lmao.

I don't typically read novels, but I'm definitely going to check it out. I kind of spoiled the book for myself by reading about it on Wiki, but it seems better than the movie.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Really enjoyed it. Was mildly disappointed with the ending but it was sufficient and wrapped up the story.

I was amazed that anyone could function that well with a blindfold though. Seemed a little far fetched to me

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Really enjoyed it. Was mildly disappointed with the ending but it was sufficient and wrapped up the story.

I was amazed that anyone could function that well with a blindfold though. Seemed a little far fetched to me

Same here, but also I guess we have to remember that during the whole boat scene, she and the kids had already been going through life like that for 5 years so I guess they learned to adapt.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Even if they had adapted somewhat the river scene was a stretch for them, especially when they turned over. Even the driving with GPS - . I just thought there would be so many stopped cars as we saw they wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

It was enjoyable otherwise. Definitely reminded me of The Happening.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Even if they had adapted somewhat the river scene was a stretch for them, especially when they turned over. Even the driving with GPS - . I just thought there would be so many stopped cars as we saw they wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

It was enjoyable otherwise. Definitely reminded me of The Happening.

A much better version of The Happening. This movie had an excellent story all the way through.

The boat scenes were a bit much, but mostly they just sat there and held on. That’s somewhat believable. The GPS in the car was absurd. You’re right, they didn’t hit any poles or cars, nothing at all? I expected them to at least have to put someone outside to walk along side the car for when they hit something. That way the scout could feel out the accident and they could adjust course.

Either way, a very strong thriller with great performances.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
This is a side-note: but I really didn't care for Machine Gun Kelly's role in this movie. He seemed rather out of place, like his agent hooked it up for him cause he thought it would be cool to be in a movie or something. If I didn't know who he was it might not have bugged me, but his character just did nothing, except for stealing the car (which was a ridiculous thing anyway).

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I haven’t seen it yet but does anyone know if Netflix provides the stats of other movies/shows? I swear we only hear about the crazy viewed programs

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I haven’t seen it yet but does anyone know if Netflix provides the stats of other movies/shows? I swear we only hear about the crazy viewed programs
They only release them selectively when it stands to make them look good. lol. They don't typically release that info.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Not sure which ending was worse...bird box or How it ends...both Netflix originals and both solid movies until the endings.
The ending in the novel was much darker and (probably) more realistic, for what it's worth.

In the end of the novel Mallorie and the children arrive at the refuge to find that nearly all of the inhabitant have intentionally blinded themselves as a way to protect themselves.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
A much better version of The Happening. This movie had an excellent story all the way through.

The boat scenes were a bit much, but mostly they just sat there and held on. That’s somewhat believable. The GPS in the car was absurd. You’re right, they didn’t hit any poles or cars, nothing at all? I expected them to at least have to put someone outside to walk along side the car for when they hit something. That way the scout could feel out the accident and they could adjust course.

Either way, a very strong thriller with great performances.

The car's collision detection system was quite good - it not only beeped when they were close to another vehicle, but also showed the direction of the obstacle. I think it was quite plausible, they just sped the scene up a little because it would have taken them hours going at a super slow pace and constantly having to reverse.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was going to make a thread on this the other day, but never got around to it. I'm kinda surprised there's not a fairly active thread on it by now.

I watched it and thought it was a pretty good movie. I'm usually not into the popular trending movies, but I enjoyed this one. Makes me want to read the book. I thought it was a rip-off of A Quiet Place until I found out that the Novel was written in 2014.

I'd certainly recommend it.

without taking a shot at A Quiet Place there are several indy movies from europe and japan that covered the same type if topic going back to the 1950.s--just was never done to such a large scale

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's copied from numerous other movies, so I didn't care for it at all. The Mist does the initial concept a lot better, but the stuff through the forest was brutal (not in a good way) viewing. John Malkovich is the lone highlight.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Quite the hype through everyone making memes of Sandra in the boat with the blindfold...

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
I enjoyed it...didn't fall asleep through it so thats a big plus with movies these days lol...thought the cast was good..mostly believeable...liked the ending in the novel better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->