BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Lets hope they fix the flying controls on keyboard and mouse. I'm probably breaking the NDA but it was pretty atrocious. I shouldn't have to plug in a controller.
I'm pretty sure they said they were aware of the issue/it was already fixed but they were using an older build for the alpha.

Also they had a livestream today about loot and progression stuff. Lots of good info. Ill try to find a breakdown of everything and post it

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Can someone kinda give me the jist of this game in regards to singleplayer/multiplayer? Is it a game you can play solo, or is it more of a Destiny kinda thing?

I'm honestly not sure what we're technically allowed to say, so I'll say that everything that has been made public indicates a heavy Destiny influence, and I won't say that anything I've seen has changed that.

That said, Destiny can be played solo outside of the strikes/raids.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Can someone kinda give me the jist of this game in regards to singleplayer/multiplayer? Is it a game you can play solo, or is it more of a Destiny kinda thing?
Huge Destiny vibes from playing it, though there are some notable differences. They did a livestream about loot drops and I only caught a few minutes of it, but what I gathered is that weapons will have various traits depending on rarity. Green weapons will have one bonus trait, Epics will have four I believe and they will be random, so two people could get a weapon with the same name and rarity, but one is drastically better due to having a better roll. This is similar to the parts/manufacturers in Borderlands. Some guns were only useful with the right roll. I think Destiny 2 did away with random rolls, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

They mentioned a crafting system that would supplement the loot drops, and I don't think Destiny has anything like that.

As far as solo versus coop I really don't know. I did everything in the Alpha on the hardest difficult that was unlocked solo and it wasn't much of a challenge. It'll probably be like Destiny in that most missions can be done solo, but the bigger strikes and raids will need a team. Thankfully they offer matchmaking for the raids, which is something I didn't like about the original Destiny. I didn't have friends that played the game, and the raids were pretty much impossible solo, so I didn't do them and missed out on the best gear because of it. I know they had forums and such that you could look for players to join, but I much prefer a simple matchmaking system in game.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I didn't play the Alpha or anything, but its very similar to Destiny. You can play solo, however you will always be connected online and can run into other people doing stuff. IIRC they also said there will be match making for everything I think? Can't quite remember. The only time you will be completely on your own and not running into people will be when you are at the central Hub. That's an instance where only you load into with all the NPCs and such.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The gameplay and mechanics look a lot more like Mass Effect mixed with Warframe than Destiny. It's similar to destiny in the structure of doing things - solo exploration/coop/coop strikes and raid, etc, always online, etc.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Did anyone pre-order for PC have a friend code they don't plan on using for the VIP demo?

Edit: scratch that, its only for the 25th-27th and I'll be out of town for that.
Yea next weekend is open for everyone. I'll be away for both weekends so I'll be missing it.
Always online multiplayer Destiny type game?

No thanks
Yea but you can do stuff solo still. It's more like Warframe + Mass Effect and a bit of Diablo.

Sep 19, 2008
ANTHEM™

BE THE FIRST TO PLAY ANTHEM™ AND GET THREE FRIEND PASSES

Freelancers. Ready to dive into Anthem™? The VIP Demo will be the first chance you can get hands on the game and is available from January 25 - 27. Visit Anthem Demos - Official EA Site for information on how to access the VIP Demo.*

We’re also giving all VIP Players three friend passes since the game is best experienced as a team. Please visit Friend Pass - Anthem Demos - Official EA Site for details on how to get your friends into the VIP Demo.

Sep 19, 2008
So I do have 3 friend passes for the VIP demo 1/25 - 1/27 and I would be glad to dish them out to HFBoards members, just need 3 emails. PM me if you want and I can send you the invite in. Gonna try this out later today when I get home.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone know how much content is in this demo? I had to download 44 GB last night. Did they make us download the entire game and then just block off most of it? That seems pretty silly. I've heard you get a bit of story content, one strike-like event, and you can free roam. That doesn't seem like 44GB of data so I'm confused.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't know whats changed but there is some major disconnect, this game nor Destiny is not an MMO.

yeah there's nothing massive about the player counts per instance I've heard. I think people conflate MMO with "open world"(which one could argue has also had its meaning warped)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
yeah there's nothing massive about the player counts per instance I've heard. I think people conflate MMO with "open world"(which one could argue has also had its meaning warped)

I think the disconnect is the first "M". You are always online and can run into people randomly running around the world, but the "Massive" doesn't apply.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
the servers are full :rant:
Yeah I just saw on Twitter they're working to increase server capacity. That same thing happened to me during the Alpha and it was resolved pretty quickly. Hopefully they get it straigtened out soon.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
So sounds like the early word is the game is fun, but the UI and controls are clearly designed for console.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My experience with the demo so far has been pretty bad. I keep getting disconnected, the load times have been huge and at one point the game actually crashed (ps4). The 5 minutes of actual gameplay I had seemed fun though.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I tried playing for a bit on Friday but the load times were unbearable. It wasn’t anywhere near this bad in the alpha. Hopefully they get it together before launch because this has huge potential.

Reactions: YNWA14

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I kind of have to ask, if this bombs, like sales and overall scoring wise, what do you think happens to Bioware?

hE525CD30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad