St. Louis
giphy.gif

Reactions: LETSGOBLUES88

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Isn't this like exactly what they predicted though?
Binnington's perform was too small sample size. Coincidence AAV was just bit higher than Allen's 4.350mill$?

@Brian39 refer all the way Murray money what was 3x3.75. That contract isnt any way near of 2x4.4 and Binny is UFA after two years.

I had 4x5-6mill.$ and I was wrong.

I was correct Binny deserved Møre than Allen.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Binnington's perform was too small sample size. Coincidence AAV was just bit higher than Allen's 4.350mill$?

@Brian39 refer all the way Murray money what was 3x3.75. That contract isnt any way near of 2x4.4 and Binny is UFA after two years.

Congratulations

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Surprised at 2-years vs. 1....but the money is about what is expected. Now they've got a full year to assess Binnington and decide what kind of contract to throw at him next July, or make plans to replace him. Can't imagine they won't get something worked out long-term if he performs well next season.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Im happy that Binny gets paid 50k more than Allen. :bb:

Can I start now poll goaltender race för #1 Binny vs Allen? :sarcasm:

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I thought the AAV would be a bit lower considering this is just buying his last two RFA years, but I'm very glad it's a short term contract. I think Binnington will most likely be at least an average starter, but the sample size is small and you never know for sure with goaltenders.

Reactions: Brockon

Bloozockey

Jul 1, 2019
I wonder what role, if any, the impending new television deal for the NHL has with this contract being 2 years. I agree that it gives Binnington an opportunity to prove himself and earn himself a bigger AAV with his next contract - but it may be also be that the salary cap is noticeably higher in 2 years time.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
One year was too much risk on Binnington and 4 or more was too much risk for the Blues. I thought he would get 3 years for around 4m and I guess the getting him to take a 2 year deal added a little AAV. Perfectly fair for everyone.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
One year was too much risk on Binnington and 4 or more was too much risk for the Blues. I thought he would get 3 years for around 4m and I guess the getting him to take a 2 year deal added a little AAV. Perfectly fair for everyone.

1 year also sets Binny up for a new contract at the same time as Petro and Schenn need extensions, which may have factored in a bit.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The guy can play in clutch situations and bring home the cup. Now let's see how he plays for a whole season.

Jake will no doubt play as well.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I really hope that the 2 year term doesn’t have anything to do with the rumors that Army told him in Training Camp that he was no longer in our plans. I can’t see anyway that this was a 2 year extension, walking him straight to unrestricted free agency, at Army’s request. If he still has that chip on his shoulder and intends to walk in two years, I sure hope Husso gets back to health and form.

One of the most interesting things to me is that we are on pace to have exactly zero goalies under contract for the next expansion draft that qualify to be exposed.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Good deal, he's going to surprise a lot of haters this year. Just glad he's making more then Allen who was given way too much after proving much less.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I really hope that the 2 year term doesn’t have anything to do with the rumors that Army told him in Training Camp that he was no longer in our plans. I can’t see anyway that this was a 2 year extension, walking him straight to unrestricted free agency, at Army’s request. If he still has that chip on his shoulder and intends to walk in two years, I sure hope Husso gets back to health and form.

One of the most interesting things to me is that we are on pace to have exactly zero goalies under contract for the next expansion draft that qualify to be exposed.
Huh, are you talking about before the start of last season? If so, I'm guessing with quite a bit of certainty plans have changed.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Nothing to be excited about this signing, no problem with the AAV but the term letting him go right to UFA.....something is going on there. It’s almost like we had no leverage at all or we were just unwilling to use it.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I think I get DA’s thinking now - go 1 year, and Binnington can command over 6 per of he does well next year - that could impede re-signing Petro and schenn next year. Go 3 or more years, and you’re risking that Binnington turns into Allen and you’re stuck with a bad contract. Go 2 years, and you have more certainty on what you can spend on Petro and schenn next offseason, and not stuck with bad contract if Binnington doesn’t do well - if he does do well, deal with it in 2 years

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I really hate this contract. It's a lose/lose. If continues his stellar play, he hits free agency as young as possible and a half dozen teams will be bidding his contract up in two years. If he regresses, than we are paying $9M for an average goalie platoon. I'd rather go shorter term, even if it costs us more, say $6M for 1 year. Or go for 3-4 years at this price. If he wanted 2 years, it should have cost him a lot more on the AAV. 1 year at max we can afford, 2 years at dirt cheap, or 3-4 at $3.5-4.5M. But not 2 @ $4.5. Shesh.

As much as Ranksu is a troll, I suspect he was dead right and the AAV has a lot to do with being paid more than Allen. It is a weird number and too close to Allen for coincidence.. We really need to re-sign Binny as a priority next off-season if he plays well this season.

Reactions: LGB51 and DoubleK81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->