Bingo v Adirondack

WhiteLight*

You don't have enough to go on to say Lehner's a top 15 goalie in the world. And especially evaluating goalies, you don't know until they play at the highest level.

Would it be the most shocking thing if he were to step in and compare to the top goaltenders in the NHL? Not really. But there's nothing to go on at the moment aside from that he's proving a point that the AHL is an easy league for him. He pulled off an even more remarkable and unexpected feet at 19 winning that league and playoff MVP.

I wouldn't go around touting the world for him...but just the same, he's a guy I wouldn't hedge bets doubting him.

I agree, there's not enough to go on to definitively say he's top 15. But, imo, the talent is there and he would be if he was playing in the NHL right now (again imo).

.948 is just out of this world.

Working, sorry i didn't respond right away.

No, I am not being selfish. I've already said in this thread that I fully understand that we are farm team and that's part of being a fan. Will Lehner be in Ottawa next season, 95% probably that yes he will be. Will he get a call-up this season, i'd say it's better than 50% chance. That is not my problem.

cool

I disagree with everything you've said. He is not "rotting away" down in Binghamton. Playing 60 games this season is not going to hurt his development. More importantly, playing and at a high level as he has been, huge save % and GAA stats, isn't going to lesson his game. If anything it will give him more confidence, granted, something he may not need as he's pretty cocky as it is.

Maybe not this year, but if you read my post carefully, I meant staying in Bingo could start hurting as soon as next year. This season isn't that bad, but he needs to make the jump, and soon.

Saying he has nothing left to learn is such a BS argument. In any sport, at any level, there is ALWAYS something to learn. If you think otherwise then you don't know what you are talking about. Lehner has shown vast signs of improving his maturity this year. Something he severely lacked in the Calder Cup run, the kid was 19, first time in North America, it was expected. It took him a few years to settle down and realize 'hey, this is the real deal'. What's wrong with letting him dominate the AHL for a season? How will that hurt him?

It's so not BS.

Why couldn't he ''mature'' in Ottawa? At this point, does he still need even more maturity to be a #1 NHL goalie? No. He's mature.

He's physically and mentally ready.

There's nothing more to learn. Facing weak shooters every night doesn't allow him to develop properly. As you know, in any field, people need to be challenged. Not only will it not allow him to progress, and will decrease his motivation level and increase his frustration if he sees no light at the end of the tunnel.

The last thing I want is for this guy to be disgruntled with the Sens organization.

As for your ridiculous statement about the "best player in franchise history", I think you maybe should tone down the rhetoric on your end. That's like saying the next U.S. President is going to be the best one in history. You can't judge history until it actually happens there slick.

?

The only one who comes close is Spezza, and he never took the team anywhere.

He's learning patience.

yeah. not a lesson worth rotting away for

WhiteLight*

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I read that and was like...whaaa

All right here we go.

Goalies I would pick before Lehner, based on current ability only (not the future nor considering contract situation)

Lundqvist
Rinne
Quick
Price
Lehtonen
Rask
Luongo

Maybe/possibly (guys Lehner could easily surpass if he played in the NHL, but they are more proven):

Miller
Anderson (hot start)
Fasth
Ward
Backstrom
Schneider
Brodeur

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Agree to disagree.

I just don't get your angle.

If you would pick Robin Lehner over Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, or Backstrum there is no hope.

You are putting all of your eggs into one basket, we aren't Toronto.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Marc Cheverie to Elmira.....

02/07/2013
Marc Cheverie (G)
Binghamton DEL
Loaned to Elmira ECHL

Via AHL website.....

MyMyMyMy..........................

Must be that Ottawa thinks that Robin & Nathan deserve to stay in Binghamton?????

What do you guys think about that.....

Just wondering what you guys think I do not follow this stuff very much so your input would be appreciated, thanks!!!

Dean Vernon

Mar 4, 2008
Ottawa
I think it would be better for Lehner to stay in the AHL for the rest of the year. Looking through history the vast majority of top goalies do not go to the NHL until their mid 20's, and for good reason.

After a tough year last year, allowing Lehner to play another entire year as a starter is only a good thing. Hopefully he can get more experience in a NHL playoff format as well to go along with it.

Unless we get a too good to be true offer for Bishop, I would keep him as backup for the rest of the season and bring Lehner up next year.

WhiteLight*

Agree to disagree.

I just don't get your angle.

If you would pick Robin Lehner over Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, or Backstrum there is no hope.

You are putting all of your eggs into one basket, we aren't Toronto.

I said I would pick them ahead of Lehner. But I also said if Lehner was playing in the NHL, and had a chance to prove himself, he could surpass them.

Ward, Miller and Backstrom have inconsistency in their game and aren't putting .920 save %. Year after year, they are around .915

Lehner could prove to be better than that if given the chance.

Eggs in one basket? The Sens still have Craig Anderson.
?

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I said I would pick them ahead of Lehner. But I also said if Lehner was playing in the NHL, and had a chance to prove himself, he could surpass them.

Ward, Miller and Backstrom have inconsistency in their game and aren't putting .920 save %. Year after year, they are around .915

Lehner could prove to be better than that if given the chance.

Eggs in one basket? The Sens still have Craig Anderson.
?

I"m confused, did you just say a .915 save % is bad?

WhiteLight*

I"m confused, did you just say a .915 save % is bad?

:facepalm:

I said Lehner could surpass that.

Are you saying it's impossible for Lehner to go from .948 in the AHL to .920 in the NHL?

It really doesn't matter where he ranks... What matters is that you're being selfish instead of doing what's right for Lehner's development. Lehner needs to be challenged... That's not happening in the AHL

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL

Are you saying it's impossible for Lehner to go from .948 in the AHL to .920 in the NHL?

It really doesn't matter where he ranks... What matters is that you're being selfish instead of doing what's right for Lehner's development. Lehner needs to be challenged... That's not happening in the AHL

Look, I could sit here and spin it against you calling you selfish too. Let's keep to facts.

Your opinion is that Lehner belongs in the NHL now. My opinion is that it isn't going to hurt Lehner to take advantage of a situation in the AHL where he is "the man" for another half a season. Stop calling me selfish. I fully understand the role of this team in Binghamton, it's to serve the parent club. It has a responsibility to develop players for the NHL, something I frankly think has done an outstanding job at.

Who are you, or I for that matter, to determine what the correct course of action is "right" for Lehner's development. The kid needs to play games, period. He needs to play at a high level.

Also, how many AHL games have you been too, this year, and in years past. I've been to over 1000 probably. I can guarantee you that you are dead wrong about it being a "weak" league. Sure it isn't the NHL, but it sure as hell isn't weak. Over the past three to four years there has been a drastic change in the dynamic of the league. It used to be a rough and tumble enforcers league and now it's becoming more of a scoring/skill league. So frankly, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So frankly, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

i think you can say that about every mak post.

lehner is fine where he is. he needs to play. he won't play in ottawa. thus he stays in bingo. no problems here. move along.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

this year? it would be hard, but not impossible. i'd put it at unlikely.
let's look at a young goalie that had good stats in the ahl this year that has moved up to the nhl in a backup role.

braden holtby:
ahl - 25 games played, .923 sv%
nhl - 5 games played, .857 sv%

is he playing on a bad team? sure he is. that save percentage is still pretty bad. doesn't look like the goalies are helping. nhl shooters>>ahl shooters it would take a bit for lehner to adjust. he'll get his adjustment period either after bishop is traded this year, or next season.

there is no reason to call him up while we have bishop. if the sens wanted lehner to backup, they would have dumped bishop already. if the return was the problem, they would still play bishop so he would have a shot at increasing his value. bishop isn't as bad as he played in his first game this season. since i saw him play last season with us, i did not think he was a great goalie, but i do not believe he is that bad. let him play

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Look, I could sit here and spin it against you calling you selfish too. Let's keep to facts.

Your opinion is that Lehner belongs in the NHL now. My opinion is that it isn't going to hurt Lehner to take advantage of a situation in the AHL where he is "the man" for another half a season. Stop calling me selfish. I fully understand the role of this team in Binghamton, it's to serve the parent club. It has a responsibility to develop players for the NHL, something I frankly think has done an outstanding job at.

Who are you, or I for that matter, to determine what the correct course of action is "right" for Lehner's development. The kid needs to play games, period. He needs to play at a high level.

Also, how many AHL games have you been too, this year, and in years past. I've been to over 1000 probably. I can guarantee you that you are dead wrong about it being a "weak" league. Sure it isn't the NHL, but it sure as hell isn't weak. Over the past three to four years there has been a drastic change in the dynamic of the league. It used to be a rough and tumble enforcers league and now it's becoming more of a scoring/skill league. So frankly, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

:clap:

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
The AHL definitely is an underrated league.

People tend to forgot Lehner is 21. The man aint going nowhere!

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Lehner is learning to be a number 1, not necessarily learn to save pucks. He needs to get used to the toil of playing game after game, night after night.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa

VERY well said. :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad