B-Sens Bingo 2016-2017 Season Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Some players we should be looking at for instant upgrade on our fourth line ASAP:

#17 Max McCormick 1st, 84 / 83 B 2nd, 84 / 85.57 B
(32gms, 10g 8a) My man Max. Mad, crazy, hard working, best celly’s, sticks up for his teammates, doesn’t put up with any ****, coaches favorite, drops the gloves, gives 110%. My man Max.

#19 Jason Akeson 1st, Inc.2nd, 92 / 88.71 B+
(20gms, 3g 13a) Has been what was needed on this club with a veteran status and an offensive touch. This was the type of player needed with a point per game average he brings on a nightly basis. Down fault is his defense, or lack of, with him getting knocked off the puck often.

#22 Phil Varone 1st, 88 / 86.16 B 2nd, 90 / 91 A-
(32gms, 10g 14a) I see a more mature player emerging that seems to be enjoying himself as of late, and it’s been fun to watch. In tense player that grinds his way around the cage.

#25 Casey Bailey 1st, 86 / 86.66 B 2nd, 93 / 93.71 A
(33gms, 10g 5a) Smart player with great ice vision as he continues to put up numbers in the second quarter at an alarming rate. Lone representative as the team’s All-Star selection to take place in Lehigh Valley.

# 10 Buddy Robinson 1st, 74 / 76.91 C 2nd, 87 / 86.42 B
(31gms, 7g 5a) Decent play as of late but still can’t finish on his creation of shorthanded breakaways. I might have been on the high side with him but the panel seems to agree.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good write up but even after reading that it doesn't change my mind as to who I think has a shot at making it to the NHL & a few of those guys who are ranked high IMO don't. Some guys are just better in one league than another & we have seen many good players in Bingo do nothing at the NHL level & a few times vice-a-versa.

Goalies:
I honestly don't know about these goalies but it's possible Dreidger could find a backup job somewhere. The only goalie in the organization that I have any hope for is Hogberg tbh.

Defence:
Englund & Harpur - I think Englund has the ability to basically replace Methot at some point & maybe sooner if LV takes Methot in the expansion draft. Both are big bodies & Harpur is a decent skater, passer & pt producer for a big man who can also play with an edge. I could see him as a 3rd pairing, PK, shut down defenseman.

Forwards:
I think McCormick - Paul - Robinson have a shot at being on the 4th line in Ottawa at some point. Perron may have a shot at a 3rd line scoring forward with potential to move up, if he gains some weight & muscle for the next level. The Sens moved up to draft Gagne so they must see something in him but IMO he is a long term project.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Substantial improvement from last quarter as I commented on what I was looking for last quarter. Winning record since re-acquiring Akeson and even more so with Driedger in net. I think we can make the playoffs if Ottawa doesn't {f***} us over. ~ MVK

Looks like some people still don't understand that a NHL team will recall players from the AHL if they run into injuries :laugh:

Enker17

Jan 18, 2017
Binghamton, NY
Looks like some people still don't understand that a NHL team will recall players from the AHL if they run into injuries :laugh:

That was my comment. Clearly, you don't agree, that's fine. I was not referring to injuries. I was referring to unnecessary callups such as Puempel and Prince that get called up and either sit in the bleachers as healthy scratches or play 5 shifts on the 4th line when they could bide their time much better playing 15-18 minutes in the A with skill players. :popcorn:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That was my comment. Clearly, you don't agree, that's fine. I was not referring to injuries. I was referring to unnecessary callups such as Puempel and Prince that get called up and either sit in the bleachers as healthy scratches or play 5 shifts on the 4th line when they could bide their time much better playing 15-18 minutes in the A with skill players. :popcorn:

NHL teams don't strip AHL teams on purpose, it's a development league first and foremost. Puempel and Prince spent a lot of time in the AHL, it was time for them to move on, and playing on the 4th line is in the process. If they can't show something substantial, they might end up being traded or sent back but if they lost their waiver status, they are at risk of being claimed. Dzingel has shown something, like Hoffman and Stone did before and they are all still there. Prince and Puempel are gone and are likely going to be marginal NHL players.

Other than that, NHL teams call up players because of injuries or when they need some kind of spark. That's the point of all of this : develop players in the AHL until they can help in the NHL.

So to reiterate : no, Ottawa isn't going to **** Bingo over

Enker17

Jan 18, 2017
Binghamton, NY
NHL teams don't strip AHL teams on purpose, it's a development league first and foremost. Puempel and Prince spent a lot of time in the AHL, it was time for them to move on, and playing on the 4th line is in the process. If they can't show something substantial, they might end up being traded or sent back but if they lost their waiver status, they are at risk of being claimed. Dzingel has shown something, like Hoffman and Stone did before and they are all still there. Prince and Puempel are gone and are likely going to be marginal NHL players.

Other than that, NHL teams call up players because of injuries or when they need some kind of spark. That's the point of all of this : develop players in the AHL until they can help in the NHL.

So to reiterate : no, Ottawa isn't going to **** Bingo over

That was kind of the point I was making, but I was saying that calling up a player that you're developing and having him sit rather than play is counterproductive. However, to insinuate that I "don't understand" is simply not true. I have witnessed it.....too many times. Butler, O'Brien, Greening, Cowen, etc. They were all called up too early, IMO. They were all still getting acclumated to the professional game and Ottawa yanked them up. Would they have all panned out, who knows. But I think they were set up to fail.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That was kind of the point I was making, but I was saying that calling up a player that you're developing and having him sit rather than play is counterproductive. However, to insinuate that I "don't understand" is simply not true. I have witnessed it.....too many times. Butler, O'Brien, Greening, Cowen, etc. They were all called up too early, IMO. They were all still getting acclumated to the professional game and Ottawa yanked them up. Would they have all panned out, who knows. But I think they were set up to fail.

Note : rebuild year = when the team decided to trade many veterans and rebuild

Butler : 2 games at 22 y/o, 36 games at 23 y/o (rebuild year), 56 games at 24 y/o

O'Brien (1st round pick) : 6 games at 22 y/o (rebuild year), 28 games at 23 y/o, 29 games at 24 y/o

Greening : 24 games at 24 y/o (rebuild year), 82 games at 25 y/o

You said those guys were called up too early... Are they suppose to wait until they hit 30 y/o?

I think your point of view is heavily influenced by the end of the 2010-11 season, when many players got called up, as the team was going nowhere and they decided that they wouldn't be able to make another run with Alfredsson, so they decided to rebuild. In that case, it was pretty normal that guys were called up from Bingo as veterans like Kelly, Fisher, Kovalev, Ruutu, etc were traded away for only draft picks and no salary in return... IIRC, they picked up Marek Svatos (RIP) from waivers and even played Francis freaking Lessard in the NHL :laugh:

The only guy that you named that was in the NHL at a young age was :

Cowen (Top-10 pick) : 1 game at 19 y/o, 82 games at 21 y/o. At 20 y/o he was still in junior but played the playoffs with Bingo. At 22 y/o, he played 3 games in Bingo but got injured so he couldn't play for all the duration of the lock-out. Cowen was too good for the AHL, he also looked very good in Ottawa as a 20 y/o rookie D-man but after his injuries in 2012-13, he never was the same player.

You could make a case for Curtis Lazar who made the NHL at 19 y/o. Unfortunately for him and the team, his game was already "mature" enough for the NHL. They could have been wrong or not on him, who knows but he is the exception IMO. They were not wrong on Karlsson, Zibanejad and Ceci who graduated at a young age. All the other guys took more time to make the NHL. Examples on the 2 other guys you named in your other post :

Puempel (1st round pick) : 13 games at 22 y/o, 26 games at 23 y/o, 26 games at 24 y/o

Prince : 2 games at 22 y/o, 62 games at 23 y/o

Again, not super young when they were called up for significant time...

So now that I have proved that your argument was not accurate, what is it? Unless prospects are supposed to play full-time in the AHL until 25 y/o and I didn't know... I'm pretty sure they were all very excited to get called-up and fulfill their dream of playing in the NHL, and also earn NHL money for a certain period of time.

Enker17

Jan 18, 2017
Binghamton, NY
Note : rebuild year = when the team decided to trade many veterans and rebuild

Butler : 2 games at 22 y/o, 36 games at 23 y/o (rebuild year), 56 games at 24 y/o

O'Brien (1st round pick) : 6 games at 22 y/o (rebuild year), 28 games at 23 y/o, 29 games at 24 y/o

Greening : 24 games at 24 y/o (rebuild year), 82 games at 25 y/o

You said those guys were called up too early... Are they suppose to wait until they hit 30 y/o?

I think your point of view is heavily influenced by the end of the 2010-11 season, when many players got called up, as the team was going nowhere and they decided that they wouldn't be able to make another run with Alfredsson, so they decided to rebuild. In that case, it was pretty normal that guys were called up from Bingo as veterans like Kelly, Fisher, Kovalev, Ruutu, etc were traded away for only draft picks and no salary in return... IIRC, they picked up Marek Svatos (RIP) from waivers and even played Francis freaking Lessard in the NHL :laugh:

The only guy that you named that was in the NHL at a young age was :

Cowen (Top-10 pick) : 1 game at 19 y/o, 82 games at 21 y/o. At 20 y/o he was still in junior but played the playoffs with Bingo. At 22 y/o, he played 3 games in Bingo but got injured so he couldn't play for all the duration of the lock-out. Cowen was too good for the AHL, he also looked very good in Ottawa as a 20 y/o rookie D-man but after his injuries in 2012-13, he never was the same player.

You could make a case for Curtis Lazar who made the NHL at 19 y/o. Unfortunately for him and the team, his game was already "mature" enough for the NHL. They could have been wrong or not on him, who knows but he is the exception IMO. They were not wrong on Karlsson, Zibanejad and Ceci who graduated at a young age. All the other guys took more time to make the NHL. Examples on the 2 other guys you named in your other post :

Puempel (1st round pick) : 13 games at 22 y/o, 26 games at 23 y/o, 26 games at 24 y/o

Prince : 2 games at 22 y/o, 62 games at 23 y/o

Again, not super young when they were called up for significant time...

So now that I have proved that your argument was not accurate, what is it? Unless prospects are supposed to play full-time in the AHL until 25 y/o and I didn't know... I'm pretty sure they were all very excited to get called-up and fulfill their dream of playing in the NHL, and also earn NHL money for a certain period of time.

I have always been a firm believer of allowing young players, especially those right out of college (Butler, Greening) enough time to really get comfortable. Not sure if you know this but the Red Wings require their prospects to play AT LEAST 1 full uninterrupted season in the A before even getting the consideration of a call up. Obviously Larkin notwithstanding. We can agree to disagree and I'm not saying you're wrong, but some players don't always have the ability to "roll out of bed and play". I'm not at all saying that a player should wait until their 30 to play as that would defeat the whole purpose of going young. But the whole point of my original comment was not to try and convince anyone or change anyone's mind, but that you took my comment, made an assumption that injuries don't occur and should effect farm clubs and that I essentially "don't know what I'm talking about". If you disagree with me, that's fine. But I've been watching sports for 33 years and hockey for 7 and I know how works and I know when I see things going on that either won't work or will be a hiderance to team, player or both.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have always been a firm believer of allowing young players, especially those right out of college (Butler, Greening) enough time to really get comfortable. Not sure if you know this but the Red Wings require their prospects to play AT LEAST 1 full uninterrupted season in the A before even getting the consideration of a call up. Obviously Larkin notwithstanding. We can agree to disagree and I'm not saying you're wrong, but some players don't always have the ability to "roll out of bed and play". I'm not at all saying that a player should wait until their 30 to play as that would defeat the whole purpose of going young. But the whole point of my original comment was not to try and convince anyone or change anyone's mind, but that you took my comment, made an assumption that injuries don't occur and should effect farm clubs and that I essentially "don't know what I'm talking about". If you disagree with me, that's fine. But I've been watching sports for 33 years and hockey for 7 and I know how works and I know when I see things going on that either won't work or will be a hiderance to team, player or both.

Yes at this point it's "let's just agree to disagree", we have different opinions. I am very rational as you can see so all I care is facts and based on those facts, almost every Sens prospect (except great prospects like Karlsson, Zibanejad, Cowen, Ceci) in the last decade has done enough time in the AHL and started playing in the NHL at a reasonable age. Sure, the Sens could have had the luxury to keep some of those guys a bit longer in the AHL but they have been a budget team for a while and they need those cheap contracts to fill out the roster. A richer team would have spent on better depth like the Wings and be really patient with their prospects. But the Wings are the exception, not the norm.

Anyway, my opinion is if you have 33 years of watching sports, you should not come up with a bold comment like "I think we can make the playoffs if Ottawa doesn't {f***} us over." It was not founded. I guess we're at the end of the discussion here. Good luck for the rest of the season, hopefully Bingo makes the playoffs so everyone is happy for that final year.

Enker17

Jan 18, 2017
Binghamton, NY
Yes at this point it's "let's just agree to disagree", we have different opinions. I am very rational as you can see so all I care is facts and based on those facts, almost every Sens prospect (except great prospects like Karlsson, Zibanejad, Cowen, Ceci) in the last decade has done enough time in the AHL and started playing in the NHL at a reasonable age. Sure, the Sens could have had the luxury to keep some of those guys a bit longer in the AHL but they have been a budget team for a while and they need those cheap contracts to fill out the roster. A richer team would have spent on better depth like the Wings and be really patient with their prospects. But the Wings are the exception, not the norm.

Anyway, my opinion is if you have 33 years of watching sports, you should not come up with a bold comment like "I think we can make the playoffs if Ottawa doesn't {f***} us over." It was not founded. I guess we're at the end of the discussion here. Good luck for the rest of the season, hopefully Bingo makes the playoffs so everyone is happy for that final year.

That absolutely was a bold statement. That was kinda the point. It get everyone talking didn't it??:naughty: Anyway, I do not believe Ottawa will do anything drastic Binghamton's roster between now and April. There's a big difference between making a bold statement and not knowing what one is talking about. As mentioned above, good luck the rest of the way and here's to Nichole Anderson getting better soon!!

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
That absolutely was a bold statement. That was kinda the point. It get everyone talking didn't it??:naughty: Anyway, I do not believe Ottawa will do anything drastic Binghamton's roster between now and April. There's a big difference between making a bold statement and not knowing what one is talking about. As mentioned above, good luck the rest of the way and here's to Nichole Anderson getting better soon!!
Really hoping to see Bingo finish strong this year.
The year they won the Calder was fun to watch and a highlight for Sens fans
coming after some pretty grim years here.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY

Even though we had our differences over the course of the years Xspyrit, Mike's a good guy. Don't let his passionate following the BSens be in the way of his loyalty to the organization in your eyes.

I'm just as frustrated as the next in hoping for some success while attending games. It's been a struggle to say the least over the last 15 years. Thank goodness for the Cup in 2011!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Even though we had our differences over the course of the years Xspyrit, Mike's a good guy. Don't let his passionate following the BSens be in the way of his loyalty to the organization in your eyes.

I'm just as frustrated as the next in hoping for some success while attending games. It's been a struggle to say the least over the last 15 years. Thank goodness for the Cup in 2011!

I can totally see this. You root for a team and hope the players that make you successful don't get stripped away just when you need them most. It would be frustrating.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Oh I am not mad at him or anything. With his posts, he proved that he was a reasonable fan, so it was just not pure bashing or something like that. In that case, I have absolutely no problem.

I'm hoping the B-Sens pull a "miracle on ice" come this spring and shock the AHL world. That would be such a great way to end the affiliation in Binghamton and leave the best souvenirs possible in your guys head. And for Zeke.

That being said, I think they need to acquire a D-man and maybe another forward. Seth Griffith is on waivers right now. Hope the Sens claim him with the intention of sending him to Bingo. We never know.

Note : here's the definition of the AHL on Wikipedia

The American Hockey League is a 30-team professional ice hockey league based in the United States and Canada that serves as the primary developmental league for the National Hockey League. ;)

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
opps forgot to post this earlier..... old age?????

Binghamton at Hershey
Giant Center
Jan 15, 2017
The Bears Den

Goalies:
Binghamton M. O'Connor
Hershey V. Vanecek

1st Period-1, Binghamton, Rodewald 12 (Harpur, Akeson), 3:36 (PP). 2, Binghamton, Varone 9 (Akeson, Rodewald), 5:46. Penalties-Djoos Her (double minor - high-sticking), 1:08; Lepine Bng (fighting), 15:28; Sill Her (fighting), 15:28; Flanagan Bng (fighting), 19:56; Walker Her (fighting), 19:56.
After 1st.
2-0 Binghamton.
Rodewald tips a shot from Harpur beating Vanecek 5 hole nice tip on the PP no less.... Varone beats Vanecek breaking in puck just makes it over the line Akeson with a helper...
A couple of fights in the period ahhh old time hockey love it.....
Shots 13-3 Sens...

2nd Period-3, Hershey, Vrana 11 (Thomas, Ness), 15:47 (PP). Penalties-McCormick Bng (tripping), 15:33; Rumble Bng (slashing), 18:04.
After 2nd.
2-1 Binghamton.
Vrana scores on the PP glove side high on O'Connor... Pretty much all Bears in the period..
Shots 9-1 Bears.

3rd Period-4, Hershey, C. Bourque 9 (Djoos), 3:32 (PP). 5, Binghamton, Nehring 1 (McCormick), 8:27. 6, Binghamton, Varone 10 (Akeson, Rodewald), 16:47. Penalties-Krushelnyski Bng (tripping), 2:14.

Hershey ties it up on the PP Bourque beats O'Connor short side again from a bad angle shot..... I thought oh no this is the end in the Bears Den...... McCormick steals the puck at the blue line breaks in passes to Nehring who finishes...... Akeson finds Varone alone in the slot and he scores
Final 4-2 Sens......
Shots on Goal-Binghamton 13-1-7-21. Hershey 3-9-14-26.

Three Stars:
1. BNG - P. Varone
2. BNG - J. Rodewald
3. HER - C. Bourque

This rag tag team keeps finding a way to win...... I didn't give them a chance in Hell tonite... Just goes to show what I know or don't know?????????

Up next Binghamton travels to Syracuse to play a tough Crunch team on Friday Jan 20th 2017..............

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Bingo v Syracuse

Bingo lead 2-1 in 2nd

NG Alex Krushelnyski (3) ASST: Phil Varone (15), Gabriel Gagne (1)

2nd
17:35 BNG Phil Varone (11) ASST: Ben Harpur (11) (SH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->