B-Sens Bingo 2016-17 On-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Harpur has been putting up decent numbers over the past little while. How has his overall game looked lately? I rarely get to watch bingo play lately.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Bingo win 4-2

Three Stars
1st 2nd 3rd
Phil Varone
Binghamton Senators
G: 2
A: 0

Jack Rodewald
Binghamton Senators
G: 1
A: 2

Chris Bourque
Hershey Bears

Last edited:

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I don't mean to pile on and perhaps I misunderstand here, but isn't this an argument in favour of making players earn their minutes in the AHL?

I'd agree that you have to get guys to earn their minutes. That being said, you have to give young talent players at least SOME opportunity to succeed.

I will admit that I haven't been able to watch many games, but here are some stats that make me question if it would even be possible to succeed with the ice given:

Gagne GP 16 - Average time on ice per game - 4.77Mins
Perron GP 33 - Average time on ice per game - 9.9Mins

One guy I have had the opportunity to play some this year is Mike Kostka. He's looked pretty bad. However, his TOI leads the team at almost 24Mins per game. Now, if you are rewarding players who have earned their time, I'm not sure how you justify that.

The reason I brought up Harpur before, is because ( lately ) his offense stats have been good, and he is 2nd on the team in TOI at just over 22Mins.

Perron most often plays with Flanagan. Who is much poorer in points per minute, and GAvsGF ratio. However, Flanagan is 3rd on the team in TOI for a forward at over 19Min per game.

It's nice to see that Bingo has started winning lately, and I'm not saying that the staff isn't making the right decision, but because I don't get to watch enough to get an idea of what is going on, I'm curious to know why there is the discrepancy between performance and ice time.

It's not that Perron look better because of QoC because he is about tied with guys like McCormick and Flanagan. I'm not being facetious. I'm legitimately curious if there is an on ice reason someone has spotted...

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'd agree that you have to get guys to earn their minutes. That being said, you have to give young talent players at least SOME opportunity to succeed.

I will admit that I haven't been able to watch many games, but here are some stats that make me question if it would even be possible to succeed with the ice given:

One guy I have had the opportunity to play some this year is Mike Kostka. He's looked pretty bad. However, his TOI leads the team at almost 24Mins per game. Now, if you are rewarding players who have earned their time, I'm not sure how you justify that.

The reason I brought up Harpur before, is because ( lately ) his offense stats have been good, and he is 2nd on the team in TOI at just over 22Mins.

Perron most often plays with Flanagan. Who is much poorer in points per minute, and GAvsGF ratio. However, Flanagan is 3rd on the team in TOI for a forward at over 19Min per game.

It's nice to see that Bingo has started winning lately, and I'm not saying that the staff isn't making the right decision, but because I don't get to watch enough to get an idea of what is going on, I'm curious to know why there is the discrepancy between performance and ice time.

It's not that Perron look better because of QoC because he is about tied with guys like McCormick and Flanagan. I'm not being facetious. I'm legitimately curious if there is an on ice reason someone has spotted...

Pretty sure Kostka was either AHL DMan of the year, or at least an all-star last season. So, you could argue he's earned it more than anyone on our team (and that's probably accurate). Not to mention, if you play Kostka like a #2/3/4 DMan, you discourage other vets from signing with us in the future.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah Bingo is 11-5-1 in last 17 games

Rodewald and Akeson sparked this team or finally KK got heard?

Can you please tell me where you get AHL stats? Because I didn't see TOI on AHL.com

And any kind of advanced stats?

Pretty sure Kostka was either AHL DMan of the year, or at least an all-star last season. So, you could argue he's earned it more than anyone on our team (and that's probably accurate). Not to mention, if you play Kostka like a #2/3/4 DMan, you discourage other vets from signing with us in the future.

Yeah Kostka is an AHL star, but he is having his worst season in career. He is supposed to be clear #1 D-man in Bingo

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY

Can you please tell me where you get AHL stats? Because I didn't see TOI on AHL.com

Yeah Kostka is an AHL star, but he is having his worst season in career. He is supposed to be clear #1 D-man in Bingo

AHL doesn't cover TOI. Ditto on the request.

Edit: 2nd Quarter Grades report coming this Wednesday.

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario

Yeah, but he has had a very poor year THIS year. He hasn't seemed himself from when I've seen him play this season. Granted, I've only seen like 5-6 games.

Xspyrit said:
I'm not sure what caused the turn around, but I'd bet the improved goalie numbers play a part.

Xspyrit said:

Of course!
Here ya go:
LINK

Hope you and Ski make good use of it. It's pretty handy! Not as detailed as some advanced NHL stats sites, but more than the main AHL page.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure what caused the turn around, but I'd bet the improved goalie numbers play a part.

Driedger has a 0.909 SV% and O'Connor 0.898 SV%...

If those are improved numbers, what were they before the last 17 games? :laugh:

Of course!
Here ya go:
LINK

Hope you and Ski make good use of it. It's pretty handy! Not as detailed as some advanced NHL stats sites, but more than the main AHL page.

wow thanks a lot! Surprised those numbers are tracked to be honest

Easy to understand why Perron and Gagne are not producing a lot

Too bad Corsi is not tracked :D

MaxTheLimit

Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Driedger has a 0.909 SV% and O'Connor 0.898 SV%...
If those are improved numbers, what were they before the last 17 games? :laugh:
Don't worry about that. It will make you sad.
Just look at this bunny instead:
BUNNY-rabbits-cute-animals-bunnies-pictures-pics.jpg

No problem, but for those of us who don't get to watch enough, the limited data leaves more questions than provides answers.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

TOI is not tracked actually. AHL only tracks players on the ice when goals are scored. This website estimates TOI based on those records.
For example if Perron was on the ice for 1 goal out of 6 goals scored in the given game then his estimated TOI this game is 10 minutes. There might be also some other adjustments for PP/PK/overtime involved, not sure.
Better than nothing but not very accurate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Urm....

Based on goal differential only, use with caution - Est TOI/G: an estimation of TOI based on the percentage of total team goal events player was on the ice for

So... just as an example, this method would likely estimate Phaneuf as Ottawa's leader in 5v5 icetime per game, despite playing far less per game in reality than Karlsson and would likely have Dzingel with far more icetime than Boro despite Boro actually playing more per game than him. It would probably estimate Pyatt well below Dzingel as well despite them having nearly identical icetime (Pyatt as about 10 more mins total) because Pyatt has been on the ice for 11 fewer 5v5 all team goals, (or about 30% fewer).

The fact that the site has a disclaimer advising to use with caution suggests to me that their estimates should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->