Binghamton to the ECHL?

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Talks seem to be heating up with Binghamton coming to the ECHL

BINGHAMTON (WBNG) -- A professional hockey team could come to the Binghamton area, weeks after 12 News originally reported the Binghamton Devils would relocate.
According to Visit Bing Director Judi Hess, a group in Binghamton is in negotiations to bring an ECHL expansion team to the area.

Hess told 12 News that the team could play in 2022 at the earliest.
Hess also spoke of talk that an FHL (Federal Hockey League) team could come to the area. She said the details of how they would potentially impact each other are trying to be sorted out.

The Binghamton Devils, an affiliate of the NHL New Jersey Devils, are set to move to Utica.

Source: Professional hockey could make a comeback in Binghamton

Reactions: Tao Jones

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What? How is it spam when a news agency is reporting it?
No, no, my "spammer reset" was simply clearing out the title of a spam thread clogging up this forum's top page. Sorry for the confusion. We can never get enough Bimghamton chat around here.

Reactions: Growlers

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I dont see how discussions on Binghamton aren't expected to be high on the list given it has been a mainstay of high level minor pro hockey for decades (except a short window with the uhl) and it now is an open market...

Reactions: Lo97 and Roadhog

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I would definitely think the ECHL would want to enter that market, and it fits perfectly among existing teams. I just hope for the sake of the Binghamton fans it is the ECHL and not the FHL like they mention in the OP, they've been through enough and don't deserve to be subjected to FHL hockey.

Reactions: Lo97

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I would definitely think the ECHL would want to enter that market, and it fits perfectly among existing teams. I just hope for the sake of the Binghamton fans it is the ECHL and not the FHL like they mention in the OP, they've been through enough and don't deserve to be subjected to FHL hockey.
They may not have a choice. Remember the devils aren't leaving at the conclusion of their contract, they are leaving a year early. Lots of things probably aligned with that contract and they may just need to bring in the FHL to full-fill obligations and buy time till the local group can get somewhere with the ECHL. I imagine these things dont happen overnight. I would have to guess the FHL is just a stopgap. Cant see it working in that area based on the history of what they've had over the years. It is such a drop.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
They may not have a choice. Remember the devils aren't leaving at the conclusion of their contract, they are leaving a year early. Lots of things probably aligned with that contract and they may just need to bring in the FHL to full-fill obligations and buy time till the local group can get somewhere with the ECHL. I imagine these things dont happen overnight. I would have to guess the FHL is just a stopgap. Cant see it working in that area based on the history of what they've had over the years. It is such a drop.
I think the FHL even if temporary would do more harm than good to the market.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I dont disagree with you at all, unfortunately it appears there are some people there that think it may succeed like in Elmira. If they believe that than I dont think those people really understand the league or their own local fanbase.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
as compared to what, mk80...

no hockey ever or pre 1977, where there wasn't even an option thought given to Binghamton once they were locked out of New England....

remember, the AHL is restrictive more so than the ECHL has been in regards to territorial rights..... the original plan was the Reds (now Hartford) wanted to split cities, something that's not allowed since Philadelphia won the territory rights back then...

that's equivalent to Cincinnati back in the early 90s once the ownership was ignored in Baltimore when Anaheim operated the Bandits after the transfer of the Skipjacks to Portland (now Springfield's Thunderbirds) when the Ducks and Cyclones battled on and off ice for hockey in Cincinnati.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA

no hockey ever or pre 1977, where there wasn't even an option thought given to Binghamton once they were locked out of New England....

remember, the AHL is restrictive more so than the ECHL has been in regards to territorial rights..... the original plan was the Reds (now Hartford) wanted to split cities, something that's not allowed since Philadelphia won the territory rights back then...

that's equivalent to Cincinnati back in the early 90s once the ownership was ignored in Baltimore when Anaheim operated the Bandits after the transfer of the Skipjacks to Portland (now Springfield's Thunderbirds) when the Ducks and Cyclones battled on and off ice for hockey in Cincinnati.
What are you even talking about? Usually one or two paragraphs of your ramblings are somewhat close to the topic. But this one I’m just at a loss for words. Binghamton is looking for stability so to put a team there for one season just to take it away would definitely harm the market.

Reactions: mk80

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
I'll say this. History will repeat itself when it comes to AHL markets dropping to the ECHL, they always never work. It would be better just go ahead and get the Fed team and be more accepting now, instead of five years of ECHL hockey then going to the Fed.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What are you even talking about? Usually one or two paragraphs of your ramblings are somewhat close to the topic. But this one I’m just at a loss for words. Binghamton is looking for stability so to put a team there for one season just to take it away would definitely harm the market.
you've never heard that:

The original Mariners and the Flyers controlled the Portland territory, once the Flyers landed the AHL franchise, Atlantian, the sidebar to that was Providence, wanted to split cities playing half in RI and half in Portland.

the solution, the Reds were sold to an ownership group in Binghamton.... hence the debut of the BC Dusters, which later became the Whalers, Rangers, and presently since 1997, Hartford, when Karmanos bolted CT for Carolina at the end of 1996, that's why you sometimes see the reference to Whalercanes in New England...

that's how connected Providence and Portland's history is, even if Boston wasn't involved in either market, that's how that rivalry became a brushfire..... much like the MTL/QUE.... as a prime example

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I'll say this. History will repeat itself when it comes to AHL markets dropping to the ECHL, they always never work. It would be better just go ahead and get the Fed team and be more accepting now, instead of five years of ECHL hockey then going to the Fed.

So many false statements and incoherent logic here to point out, so little time...

First off, Adirondack Thunder, Utah Grizzlies, and Newfoundland Growlers all say hi. So that "always never works" mantra you have is as patently false.
Second off, where hasn't it worked besides Manchester? It isn't doing very well everywhere, but it is getting better and nowhere that dropped from the AHL to ECHL is on the chopping block. And Manchester didn't even do poorly because of the drop, it was because how the ownership group treated the fans after the drop.
Third off, what former AHL markets are joining the Fed? The only recently ex-ECHL markets in the Fed are Elmira and Columbus, and Winston-Salem from 30 years ago.

So in response, I'll say this. You were flat out wrong proven about one part of your post. Your flawed logic was shown with the rest of it. If this was a trolling attempt, well done! If any of this was serious, regroup and try again.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I dont disagree with you at all, unfortunately it appears there are some people there that think it may succeed like in Elmira. If they believe that than I dont think those people really understand the league or their own local fanbase.
Oh yes, a lot of times those making the decisions at the arenas for what proposal to take are not as aware of a league's overall reputation. Hopefully they do take the time to review any FHL proposal.

How does this relate at all to what I said that my opinion is that Binghamton would be best served to avoid the FHL and that their operation can do more harm than good for Binghamton?

I'll answer that question: It doesn't relate at all.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Oh yes, a lot of times those making the decisions at the arenas for what proposal to take are not as aware of a league's overall reputation. Hopefully they do take the time to review any FHL proposal.
I think a lot of it is in the timing. Desperation sometimes leads to lackluster decisions. They may just be desperate to get something in there in four months bc of what NJ did to the area?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
So many false statements and incoherent logic here to point out, so little time...

First off, Adirondack Thunder, Utah Grizzlies, and Newfoundland Growlers all say hi. So that "always never works" mantra you have is as patently false.
Not to mention Worcester, Portland Maine, Norfolk, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis. Some are more successful than others, but they all have ECHL hockey and had AHL teams in the past.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Not to mention Worcester, Portland Maine, Norfolk, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis. Some are more successful than others, but they all have ECHL hockey and had AHL teams in the past.
I think in some markets people would have no idea the echl wasnt actually the ahl just from watching the play. I think a lot of it is brand status and people not realizing the echl isnt on par with the sphl. I think that is part of an honest ignorance about the levels of minor pro hockey.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021

Second off, where hasn't it worked besides Manchester? It isn't doing very well everywhere, but it is getting better and nowhere that dropped from the AHL to ECHL is on the chopping block. And Manchester didn't even do poorly because of the drop, it was because how the ownership group treated the fans after the drop.
Third off, what former AHL markets are joining the Fed? The only recently ex-ECHL markets in the Fed are Elmira and Columbus, and Winston-Salem from 30 years ago.

So in response, I'll say this. You were flat out wrong proven about one part of your post. Your flawed logic was shown with the rest of it. If this was a trolling attempt, well done! If any of this was serious, regroup and try again.

Good god your post was cringe.
Anyway, we could also look at Norfolk, which has suffered from the drop from the A to the ECHL. Was I wrong for saying it would be a failure, maybe, but I have a feeling the Fed is going to the market.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Good god your post was cringe.
Anyway, we could also look at Norfolk, which as suffered from the drop from the A to the ECHL. Was I wrong for saying it would be a failure, maybe, but I have a feeling the Fed is going to the market.
I mean the fed is going there this year, I shared that before it was actually reported ha. However if you read the article it says the ECHL would start there in 2022 at the earliest, so it would appear the fed is a placeholder for the ECHL if things go that way.

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
I mean the fed is going there this year, I shared that before it was actually reported ha. However if you read the article it says the ECHL would start there in 2022 at the earliest, so it would appear the fed is a placeholder for the ECHL if things go that way.

I just don't know if the ECHL would work. I see it lasting 3-4 seasons tops.

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
Based on what? I am not challenging you at all but looking for what forms that opinion.

You cover the fed for media right?

Going from the AHL to the ECHL in the fashion could really burn the market. I believe it could hurt the fans more then anything.
Also while yes I do cover the Fed independently, I have been very critical of this possible move. Too fast, and makes the Fed look like the B-squad coming in so quickly.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Going from the AHL to the ECHL in the fashion could really burn the market. I believe it could hurt the fans more then anything.
Also while yes I do cover the Fed independently, I have been very critical of this possible move. Too fast, and makes the Fed look like the B-squad coming in so quickly.
I would be more concerned about the fed walking into an ahl market for essentially 40 years, also a city they tried early on that was completely unsuccessful.

I went and looked on that local news facebook page to see reactions to the story in the original post and well I think the comments are... telling.

click on the comment icon at the bottom of the previews to view the comments, there are some beauties in there...

They also released a story about the fed and those comments were...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->