Prospect Info: Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Looking on Cap Friendly, and it shows that Bastian and Gignac still have a full three seasons on their ELC. I'm guessing because they were 20, and didn't play any NHL games, or the 9 minimum. I thought that minimum would also include AHL games, but I guess not. Kind of not opposed to the idea of playing guys there over junior, if they can make the jump. Castron recently said on the Devils podcast about Bastian and Gignac, how Bastian wouldn't gain anything from playing his final junior season against boys, since he's a bigger guy and should be playing pro. Also, as for Gignac, said something about him putting up 100 points in the Q, but they felt it would've been better for him to come to the AHL. Seems like we'll be doing the same with Studenic next season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Looking on Cap Friendly, and it shows that Bastian and Gignac still have a full three seasons on their ELC. I'm guessing because they were 20, and didn't play any NHL games, or the 9 minimum. I thought that minimum would also include AHL games, but I guess not. Kind of not opposed to the idea of playing guys there over junior, if they can make the jump. Castron recently said on the Devils podcast about Bastian and Gignac, how Bastian wouldn't gain anything from playing his final junior season against boys, since he's a bigger guy and should be playing pro. Also, as for Gignac, said something about him putting up 100 points in the Q, but they felt it would've been better for him to come to the AHL. Seems like we'll be doing the same with Studenic next season.
1)As per the 9 games and using the ELC, Rantanen had the same with the Av's, played his 9 NHL games played the rest of the year in the AHL and did not burn an ELC year.

2)I like the idea of guys having big years in juniors to get that offensive creativity up. Even for a defensemen like Sissons, I think this year is beneficial to his development. Where as outside of experiencing playing against men one year earlier then they would have, do we think Bastian grew much as a player this year?

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
1)As per the 9 games and using the ELC, Rantanen had the same with the Av's, played his 9 NHL games played the rest of the year in the AHL and did not burn an ELC year.

2)I like the idea of guys having big years in juniors to get that offensive creativity up. Even for a defensemen like Sissons, I think this year is beneficial to his development. Where as outside of experiencing playing against men one year earlier then they would have, do we think Bastian grew much as a player this year?

I agree the real telling point on Bastian will be to see how he does in his second season as a pro in the AHL. A lot of the draft classmates, like McLeod, who can't crack their NHL roster will wind up in the AHL next season. So, will these kids be able to make the transition seamlessly, or will they perform like Bastian did this season? I think if he can be better next season, there's a small chance he could be outperforming guys who spent this past season in juniors. We'll see. Obviously, I think we'd all have been happier to see Bastian having a point-per-game season in the OHL instead of his numbers this year, but I'll trust Shero/Fitz/Castron's decisions over what I think.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's because they signed their contracts as 18 year olds. Studenic signed his as a 19 year old, so he will not get the slide year.

I'm all for putting guys in pro. A guy like Studenic already has a large role in Hamilton, he's playing in the Memorial Cup - they can let him beat up on the OHL another year, but if they do that, I don't even think they should've signed him to a contract, because you can find 1st liners in the OHL who are overage who are unsigned/undrafted and sign them instead.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's because they signed their contracts as 18 year olds. Studenic signed his as a 19 year old, so he will not get the slide year.

I'm all for putting guys in pro. A guy like Studenic already has a large role in Hamilton, he's playing in the Memorial Cup - they can let him beat up on the OHL another year, but if they do that, I don't even think they should've signed him to a contract, because you can find 1st liners in the OHL who are overage who are unsigned/undrafted and sign them instead.

Did he really have a large role for Hamilton? Someone above said he was 3rd line. Does he play much PP? And he really didn't beat up on the OHL this year, 20 goals and 48 points in 62 games. If he did beat up on the OHL I'd maybe have a different opinion on it.

And Devils drafted Studenic because of a skill set, not because of a stat line. Could they find an undrafted overager with a similar skill set? Maybe not.

Also not sure if Gignac was 18 when he signed. Devils Sign Brandon Gignac to Entry-Level Contract This would be a couple days after his 19th b-day. Though maybe there is some play as to when the contract was first proposed?

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Did he really have a large role for Hamilton? Someone above said he was 3rd line. Does he play much PP? And he really didn't beat up on the OHL this year, 20 goals and 48 points in 62 games. If he did beat up on the OHL I'd maybe have a different opinion on it.

And Devils drafted Studenic because of a skill set, not because of a stat line. Could they find an undrafted overager with a similar skill set? Maybe not.

Also not sure if Gignac was 18 when he signed. Devils Sign Brandon Gignac to Entry-Level Contract This would be a couple days after his 19th b-day. Though maybe there is some play as to when the contract was first proposed?

Studenic played primarily on the third line, but saw time occasionally on the first and second lines.

He scored 4 PPG and 8 PPA on the second PP unit and 2 SHG on the second PK unit in the regular season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Speaking of undrafted free agents how bout Studenic's Hamilton team mate Brandon Saigeon?

Led the team in scoring this regular season with a 35-35-70 stat line in 62 games. Has kept that going with a 18-7-25 in 21 gp's in the playoffs. I see him listed at 6'2" and 194 lb's. A left handed center. Turns 20 in June.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Again, if he's not playing the power play regularly, why are they even signing this guy? I feel pretty confident they could find a UDFA with similar skills.

Gignac was 18 when he signed because your signing age is the age you are on September 15th of the year you sign.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Again, if he's not playing the power play regularly, why are they even signing this guy? I feel pretty confident they could find a UDFA with similar skills.

Gignac was 18 when he signed because your signing age is the age you are on September 15th of the year you sign.

Well they did sign him so there is no turning back on that.

So the question returns to where should he be next year. He's prob not going to get PP time in the AHL, or that many minutes in general. Even if he is not top line or top PP he will have a bigger role in juniors. I prefer that over getting an early start on his AHL career.

Granted if he comes into camp and looks great(though is there a deadline for AHL vs sending back to Juniors?) and he'll have a bigger role in Albany, or even looks so good that you could see him getting some NHL time, then yeah that changes things, but if he's going to give you a Bastian type of year? I'd send him back to juniors.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well they did sign him so there is no turning back on that.

So the question returns to where should he be next year. He's prob not going to get PP time in the AHL, or that many minutes in general. Even if he is not top line or top PP he will have a bigger role in juniors. I prefer that over getting an early start on his AHL career.

Granted if he comes into camp and looks great(though is there a deadline for AHL vs sending back to Juniors?) and he'll have a bigger role in Albany, or even looks so good that you could see him getting some NHL time, then yeah that changes things, but if he's going to give you a Bastian type of year? I'd send him back to juniors.

He's not 'getting an early start on his AHL career'. He's waiver-eligible at the latest at the beginning of the 2021-2022 season no matter what happens. By keeping him in the OHL, you're ostensibly depriving him and the organization of a professional year with which to evaluate him. And if the organization is thinking 'no one will take him on waivers in 3 years', once again, I have to ask, why are they even signing him? They had a year to wait to sign him - if he comes back and has the same year in junior as an overager, they could've very easily walked away - he was a 5th round pick, no big deal if he's not worth signing to an NHL contract.

Bastian was fine. He struggled but he still managed 10 goals. He's not a particularly good prospect no matter what and if he ever makes it to the NHL level, he'll probably be similarly overmatched. The AHL is a developmental league, that's what it's there for. If Studenic had a similar year in the AHL, I'd be perfectly fine with that - it's better than beating up on his no-longer-peers in junior, because that doesn't mean very much.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He's not 'getting an early start on his AHL career'. He's waiver-eligible at the latest at the beginning of the 2021-2022 season no matter what happens. By keeping him in the OHL, you're ostensibly depriving him and the organization of a professional year with which to evaluate him. And if the organization is thinking 'no one will take him on waivers in 3 years', once again, I have to ask, why are they even signing him? They had a year to wait to sign him - if he comes back and has the same year in junior as an overager, they could've very easily walked away - he was a 5th round pick, no big deal if he's not worth signing to an NHL contract.

Bastian was fine. He struggled but he still managed 10 goals. He's not a particularly good prospect no matter what and if he ever makes it to the NHL level, he'll probably be similarly overmatched. The AHL is a developmental league, that's what it's there for. If Studenic had a similar year in the AHL, I'd be perfectly fine with that - it's better than beating up on his no-longer-peers in junior, because that doesn't mean very much.
Plenty of players play their +2 in juniors. Both Swift Current and Hamilton have a contingent of +2 players, they have some +3 year guys as well, so it's not like if a guy stays for his 20 year old season he is beating up on a bunch of 16 year old. I'd much prefer a Colby Sissons type year in juniors then a Bastian like year in the AHL.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Plenty of players play their +2 in juniors.

Plenty of players don't have pro careers at all. Studenic, having been signed to an NHL contract, should not be regarded as 'plenty of players'.

Both Swift Current and Hamilton have a contingent of +2 players, they have some +3 year guys as well, so it's not like if a guy stays for his 20 year old season he is beating up on a bunch of 16 year old.

They're not peers. Guys on the NHL track get put in the AHL as soon as possible, and for Studenic that's next season. Guys not on the NHL track stay in junior. Some of those players go on to successful professional careers, and some even become NHLers, but most do not. Some players who were very good in their overage season don't even bother going pro and instead go to university in Canada.

I'd much prefer a Colby Sissons type year in juniors then a Bastian like year in the AHL.

Both years are essentially meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Sissons is a 3rd pairing/extra D in Binghamton next year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Plenty of players don't have pro careers at all. Studenic, having been signed to an NHL contract, should not be regarded as 'plenty of players'.

They're not peers. Guys on the NHL track get put in the AHL as soon as possible, and for Studenic that's next season. Guys not on the NHL track stay in junior. Some of those players go on to successful professional careers, and some even become NHLers, but most do not. Some players who were very good in their overage season don't even bother going pro and instead go to university in Canada.

Both years are essentially meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Sissons is a 3rd pairing/extra D in Binghamton next year.
Most CHL draftee's play 2 additional years of juniors. These guys are very much his peers.

Now he might have the option to go to the AHL because he was born before the cutoff, but if a guy is 3 or 4 or 6 months younger then him, they are still his peers.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Most CHL draftee's play 2 additional years of juniors. These guys are very much his peers.

Now he might have the option to go to the AHL because he was born before the cutoff, but if a guy is 3 or 4 or 6 months younger then him, they are still his peers.

Most late birthdays drafted by NHL teams who don't immediately make the NHL either get signed and go into the AHL/ECHL in Y+2 or remain unsigned after Y+2. You don't see a lot of Y+2 guys signed and paid $100,000 to play in junior hockey.

Just to be clear, here's 2016's draft picks who were drafted out of Canadian Major Junior Hockey and born between September 15 and December 31, 1997, and their status for this season - an A denoted played in the AHL all season, an E denotes ECHL time:

Gauthier (A), Johansen (A), Bastian (A), Parsons (A/E), Elyniuk (unsigned), Allard (A), Gignac (A), Twarynski (signed in 2018), Cormier (unsigned), Stallard (unsigned), Lajoie (A), Carroll (unsigned), Shoemaker (unsigned), Ronning (signed in 2018).

There were 0 players who turned 20 this past fall, were drafted in 2016, and were drafted out of junior hockey who played under an NHL contract in junior hockey last season. I don't think the Devils are going to pay Studenic $150,000 and start his waiver clock just to have him play junior hockey next season. I'd bet pretty heavily on his making his North American professional debut next October, barring injury.

Last edited:

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Christoph Bertschy

On April 27, 2018, as a pending restricted free agent with the Devils and unable to cement a role in the NHL, Bertschy opted to return to Switzerland in signing a four-year contract with Lausanne HC of the National League.[4]

I liked him but good for him to get a 4 yr deal in Europe..........

I hope the Org replaces him with a skill player of equal worth before the season starts......

Reactions: Tao Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->