Bill Zito to Florida

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Good for him. While I don’t know a lot about Zito, my impression is that he was a good and valuable AGM for us.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Congrats to him. He probably sold the Panthers that he could get Bob straightened out. That’s a large investment with shitty returns thus far.

Would imagine Basil McRae and Rick Nash get bumps up in hockey ops.

Now how long until Zitto and JD start poaching scouts, etc from the org?

Reactions: Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
While Nash or McRae could get bumped up a bit (I would prefer McRae, because Nash is still new), I still think they will look at an outside hire.

As far as I know, the CBJ had Zito not only as the GM of the Monsters, but they also had him negotiate every single contract for the team. Also, again as far as I know, I'm not sure Jarmo or Siren (who is going to be the only AGM as of now) have any extensive background into contract negotiations, as I think Chris MacFarland handled those duties when he was here, and then it was Zito.

As far as Zito, good for him. He's a tough ass negotiator, to the good and detriment of the team. With Florida seemingly heading for a self destruct and payroll slashing, I think he's going to have an uphill battle on his hands. I wish him luck.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Good luck to him, he's got some work to do, that's for sure, will be tricky if Florida becomes a basement cap team.

Recently saw that Scott Howson is the president of the AHL, didn't know that.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Which may be a good event for us. Zito knowing more about our prospects, maybe more inclined to want them for say Barkov or Huberdeau

There is only one trade for Barkov that makes sense for both sides, and it is the big one. Barkov - Jones. They are both UFA at the same time, similar cap hits, similar value, 2 picks apart in the same draft, ...

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
There is only one trade for Barkov that makes sense for both sides, and it is the big one. Barkov - Jones. They are both UFA at the same time, similar cap hits, similar value, 2 picks apart in the same draft, ...
Or one where they shed salary since that's rumored to be what they are doing, hence prospects that Zito is familiar with

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The only reason why Florida would move Barkov is if he wants to be moved ASAP. In that case, the return will be good - but not Seth Jones good - similar to Nash where it was four quarters for a dollar.

Even if Florida needed to shed salary, they'd shed it from elsewhere and keep Barkov as long as he was willing to stay.

That said, I wouldn't expect Zito to turn around and do the Jackets any favors. I wouldn't be surprised if he required Owner / President approval for a deal with his former team for the first season or two.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Barkov is a top 10 center in the league who is signed for two more years with a cap hit of less than 6 million per year. His return would be much better than what the Jackets got for Rick Nash.

If you think he is available for picks and prospects, I can only imagine what a seriously contending team like St. Louis, Boston, or Tampa would give up for 2 years of Barkov at that cap hit. Hell, I’d like to see Colorado’s offer. Or the Rangers . I don’t think we would be in the picture unless it involved Jones.

I 100% agree they would shed salary elsewhere to keep Barkov.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Barkov is a top 10 center in the league who is signed for two more years with a cap hit of less than 6 million per year. His return would be much better than what the Jackets got for Rick Nash.

If you think he is available for picks and prospects, I can only imagine what a seriously contending team like St. Louis, Boston, or Tampa would give up for 2 years of Barkov at that cap hit. Hell, I’d like to see Colorado’s offer. Or the Rangers . I don’t think we would be in the picture unless it involved Jones.

I 100% agree they would shed salary elsewhere to keep Barkov.
Not if he is demanding a trade which is the only realistic scenario in which he gets moved.

If he is demanding out, he isn't being moved for full value and won't return a piece like Jones.

Any team that acquires him in that scenario almost certainly will be doing it for a package of roster players, prospects, and picks rather than a 1-for-1. One of those pieces will almost certainly have to be a top-6 center as Florida recently moved away Trochek.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fan coming in peace...

Any suggestions on where we can learn more about him? He looks great so far and I haven't heard anything negative yet, but perhaps you guys know more. Any idea about his relationship with Bob? I'm assuming he was involved in the last minute attempt to keep him?

Also, try to target Huby not Barky. I don't see us trading Barky or Ekblad--both seem pretty happy here. There are more rumblings about Huberdeau being unhappy and maybe not making SoFla his home :)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Any suggestions on where we can learn more about him? He looks great so far and I haven't heard anything negative yet, but perhaps you guys know more. Any idea about his relationship with Bob? I'm assuming he was involved in the last minute attempt to keep him?

Also, try to target Huby not Barky. I don't see us trading Barky or Ekblad--both seem pretty happy here. There are more rumblings about Huberdeau being unhappy and maybe not making SoFla his home :)

I don't know if there really ever was a last minute attempt to keep Bob. That shipped sailed before the season started as evidence by his dog and pony show press session on the first day of camp and the fact he walked out after getting pulled.

as far as Zito goes. All indications are he is a great man. He set a record for fundraising for the local Pelatonia bike ride for cancer after his wife was diagnosed. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him and he was a great agent before coming to the team side of the business.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I would assume their relationship is cordial, but I do think its worth noting that Zito negotiated both of his contracts with the CBJ, including the highly contentious contract after his first Vezina. I don't think there's any bad blood between them personally, I mean they did negotiate a second deal after all.

As far as last second efforts to keep Bob, according to Bobrovsky himself the Jackets made numerous attempts to re-sign him two years ago including once more after the season and he said no, that he wanted to hit the market and move on. Whether you believe that or not is on each individual person, but if I recall correctly Jarmo did mention trying to keep all of Panarin, Bobrovsky, and Duchene in his end of season presser. The only 100% known last ditch effort offers made was to Panarin, though,

Zito is a very tough negotiator, but he has a keen eye for talent. He managed our AHL team and through our injury ravaged season he helped keep them afloat while all their young/old stars played with us. He generally gets fair deals, but in the process he's an ass to negotiate with and that can sour players and agents on the team. I'm not sure if this is a Zito thing (probably at least partially?) or a Jarmo/CBJ management in general thing (more likely). But its worth noting that the Jackets have had very sour and public contract negotiations with many of their own players (Johansen, Bobrovsky, Anderson (maybe twice?)).

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Looks like everyone is getting more responsibilities. Chris Clark, Rick Nash, Basil McRae, and Josh Flynn are getting promotions.

The Blue Jackets don’t plan to replace Zito either, Kekäläinen said.

Instead, others in the hockey operations department — assistant general managers Basil McRae and Josh Flynn, director of player personnel Chris Clark, assistant to the general manager Rick Nash — will divvy up Zito’s duties.

“We have really good people here, and they’re ready to grow, take on more responsibilities,” Kekäläinen said. “I’ll have to take on some more stuff, too, stuff that I may have out on Billy’s plate. But I have no problem with that.

“Basil has run a team in London. He’s run a very successful insurance company for years and years. Josh Flynn is one of the most intelligent guys I know in hockey when it comes to analytics or contracts or the CBA or even hockey. He’s a very good scout, and he’s done it for a long time. He understands the game, understands the NHL and the development system, the draft, everything about it.

“Chris Clark and Rick Nash just joined our front office full time. Those guys are future executives in my mind.”

One of Zito’s prime responsibilities was negotiating contracts. Flynn will take the lead now, with Kekäläinen helping.

First John Davidson, now Bill Zito: How the Blue Jackets front office will adapt

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't know if there really ever was a last minute attempt to keep Bob. That shipped sailed before the season started as evidence by his dog and pony show press session on the first day of camp and the fact he walked out after getting pulled.

as far as Zito goes. All indications are he is a great man. He set a record for fundraising for the local Pelatonia bike ride for cancer after his wife was diagnosed. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him and he was a great agent before coming to the team side of the business.

Perfect on character; I might be misremembering about the last minute offer, but I recall hearing that there was a large offer made last minute...maybe it was to Panarin :shrug:

I would assume their relationship is cordial, but I do think its worth noting that Zito negotiated both of his contracts with the CBJ, including the highly contentious contract after his first Vezina. I don't think there's any bad blood between them personally, I mean they did negotiate a second deal after all.

As far as last second efforts to keep Bob, according to Bobrovsky himself the Jackets made numerous attempts to re-sign him two years ago including once more after the season and he said no, that he wanted to hit the market and move on. Whether you believe that or not is on each individual person, but if I recall correctly Jarmo did mention trying to keep all of Panarin, Bobrovsky, and Duchene in his end of season presser. The only 100% known last ditch effort offers made was to Panarin, though,

Zito is a very tough negotiator, but he has a keen eye for talent. He managed our AHL team and through our injury ravaged season he helped keep them afloat while all their young/old stars played with us. He generally gets fair deals, but in the process he's an ass to negotiate with and that can sour players and agents on the team. I'm not sure if this is a Zito thing (probably at least partially?) or a Jarmo/CBJ management in general thing (more likely). But its worth noting that the Jackets have had very sour and public contract negotiations with many of their own players (Johansen, Bobrovsky, Anderson (maybe twice?)).
Good to know about the toxic negotiations; wish us luck with Barkov and Huberdeau's upcoming negotations haha.

With respect to Bob, apparently they had an early morning phone call, but, listening to an interview with Zito, I really can't tell what the relationship is like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad