Bill Watters on AM640: Second arena in Toronto?

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
My question is, how many Maple Leafs fans would want to switch teams? I know I wouldn't.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
My question is, how many Maple Leafs fans would want to switch teams? I know I wouldn't.

My guess is anybody that couldn't get a ticket to the Leaf game. I'm a Leaf fan but I wouldn't sit at home when I could go to live games.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

as posted above my post...it's not necessarily people switching teams...they're so crazy about hockey that they would go watch games there just to see hockey. It doesn't mean it has to be their new team of choice, just the team that allows them to get NHL tickets.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
as posted above my post...it's not necessarily people switching teams...they're so crazy about hockey that they would go watch games there just to see hockey. It doesn't mean it has to be their new team of choice, just the team that allows them to get NHL tickets.

Imagine the new team in the playoffs and the Leafs not. Who thinks even the most diehard Leaf fan wouldn't attend if he had the chance?

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006

It depends where the team is located. If it's north of the city in the Markham area, I would gradually switch out of convenience. I'm not sure I would do it right away, there would definitely be a period where I would be a fan of both teams.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Meh. i think it could work in Toronto. The price of Leafs tickets will drive people to it. This isnt Phx.

I remember when TSN was doing their segment on a second team in Toronto.

With a new arena and territorial fees the setup would cost roughly 1 Billion.

But if we assume there is no territorial fee and a good campaign is made for a new team, I definitely see it thriving.

People outside of the downtown area don't love downtown Toronto because of many reasons and with the Leafs lackluster competition there would be people going to the countryside to watch another team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I remember when TSN was doing their segment on a second team in Toronto.

With a new arena and territorial fees the setup would cost roughly 1 Billion.

But if we assume there is no territorial fee and a good campaign is made for a new team, I definitely see it thriving.

People outside of the downtown area don't love downtown Toronto because of many reasons and with the Leafs lackluster competition there would be people going to the countryside to watch another team.
Yet the Leafs are forsale and trying to get 1.3 billion, for the ACC,Raptors, TFC, Marlies, The Leafs and the business in Maple Leaf square. Something is out of whack;)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yet the Leafs are forsale and trying to get 1.3 billion, for the ACC,Raptors, TFC, Marlies, The Leafs and the business in Maple Leaf square. Something is out of whack;)

The $1.3 billion was for 66% of that - which would put the value of the whole thing at about $2 billion.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

The billion figure was for the relocation fee, a cash payment to the Leafs to let them move into the GTA, and the financing of a new arena construction.

When you put all that together, a billion doesn't sound entirely out of this world for a start-up fee for a new team in Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326939

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The billion figure was for the relocation fee, a cash payment to the Leafs to let them move into the GTA, and the financing of a new arena construction.

When you put all that together, a billion doesn't sound entirely out of this world for a start-up fee for a new team in Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326939
Hmm maybe, I guess if the new team expects to do as well as the Leafs at the gate (which it may) 7to8% return on their billion may make sense. I have no idea how much money, people with that kind of investment expect for a return.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I hate the idea of a second team in Toronto. Let's make sure QC gets their team back and keep it at that. 8 (IF Atlanta moves) Canadian teams is enough

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I'm a diehard Leafs fan and I live in Toronto. I would never become a Toronto Mets (or whatever they would be called) fan, but I would go to games if I could get tickets.

The problem is I think a lot of people in Toronto think a second team would be this bargain basement team with cheap tickets. The reality is the prices would be just slightly less than the Leafs because of the size of the market in the GTA.

Long term though, you might see the team grow a real fan base. If the team was in the norther part of the GTA, you would eventually see young kids grow up and have a second option of who to cheer for. The Leafs would always have the stronger fan base (by far), but in 10-15 years, I think the 2nd team in Toronto would have a solid following.

It would be crazy if the 2nd Toronto team won the Cup before the Leafs.

Puckschmuck*

So I'm guessing that should the GTA land a second team (which I think is a good idea), that that would be the final nail in the coffin for Hamilton's chances of ever getting a team?

I don't see the ticket scenario for a second GTA being anymore beneficial for the average Joe. There will still be waiting lists and it will still be next to near impossible for people to get tickets in the first place just like it is with the Maple Leafs. IMHO, of course.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
So I'm guessing that should the GTA land a second team (which I think is a good idea), that that would be the final nail in the coffin for Hamilton's chances of ever getting a team?

I don't see the ticket scenario for a second GTA being anymore beneficial for the average Joe. There will still be waiting lists and it will still be next to near impossible for people to get tickets in the first place just like it is with the Maple Leafs. IMHO, of course.

Yes, that would be it for Hamilton. And any speculation on what ticket prices would be, how well they would sell etc etc is just that, speculation. Who knows what Toronto 2 would be like, it would probably do amazing, but it would have to happen before we see.

So far, Hamilton is ahead of Toronto in getting a franchise because they have a stadium that was built for the NHL, and built to be upgraded. Plus rich people for the past five years have had their eyes on Hamilton more than Toronto, but chances are neither will get a team for at least 10-15 years. If ever.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Yes, that would be it for Hamilton. And any speculation on what ticket prices would be, how well they would sell etc etc is just that, speculation. Who knows what Toronto 2 would be like, it would probably do amazing, but it would have to happen before we see.

So far, Hamilton is ahead of Toronto in getting a franchise because they have a stadium that was built for the NHL, and built to be upgraded. Plus rich people for the past five years have had their eyes on Hamilton more than Toronto, but chances are neither will get a team for at least 10-15 years. If ever.

I like to remain open and in case of a 2nd team in T.O., I'd turn a vulturous eye towards Buffalo the moment any difficulty presented itself. Fact is, while WNY and Buffalo stagnates/shrinks, Southern Ontario and the Hamilton area is expecting significant growth.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Won't Happen Because The Costs The Cost Is To Great At 2 Billion & I Doubt They Would Get Any Goverment Funding For It Considering All Of Toronto's Money Is Tied Up With The Pan Am Games This Includes The Gta. Right Now Plus There Is No Serious Ownership Group Out There For 2nd Team In The Gta . . Whille Hamilton As Bunch Of Prospective Owners Wating In The Wings To Bring Nhl. Team To Hamilton & Lets Not Forget Daryl Katz & Aeg . Are Going To Be Takking Over Copps & All Other Entertainment Venues In Hamilton .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad