Bill Watters on AM640: Second arena in Toronto?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I agree completely. It just doesnt make any practicable sense to me either. I'm sure a team in Markham or Downsview would do extremely well, however, it would be at the expense of MLSE & the ACC. Hamilton is just far enough away to ameliorate concerns over any tremendous loss of revenues (concerts etc) & would be a natural rival (for the Sabres as well), they have an arena, retro-fitted & good to go. Studies suggest the GTA & Southern Ontario could support 3 teams, and Im sure it could, but it doesnt make it sensible or rational.

Regardless of whether southern Ontario could support 3 teams or not, there's no way in hell (or that I can imagine) that the League is going to put 2 more teams in that area any time soon. One, ok, but not two. I could see, perhaps in another decade, a 3rd team going in there, but if the new arena in Markham gets the 1st new team, then by the time another decade has passed, Copps in Hamilton is going to be a very old arena.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I don't know why we are so worried about Toronto getting 2nd NHL. team because it won't happen the because MLSE. won't let it happen & there is no serious ownership group with a lot cash to back it up just lot of here say by Watters & MCcown who are known for talking out of there ***** & stirring up the hornets nest .

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Where is the proof that there going to build an arena in Markham , Vaughn , Downsview thats right there is none just a lot of here say pal think before you shoot your mouth off next time .

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
It is Hamilton or nothing for 2nd NHL. team in southern ontario because Toronto is Leaf Land no matter where you go in the GTA. & a 2nd NHL. team there won't change that . They would just become the Clippers of the NHL. & no one in there right mind from southwestern ontario would go to Toronto 2 games . The people of southwestern Ontario want a NHL team that they can call there own not another team in Toronto which already has 7 pro sports teams that have trouble putting butts in the seats with the exeption of the leafs .

HAMILTON OR NOTHING FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO .

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Where is the proof that there going to build an arena in Markham , Vaughn , Downsview thats right there is none just a lot of here say pal think before you shoot your mouth off next time .
The city of Markham just said it was old news.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It is Hamilton or nothing for 2nd NHL. team in southern ontario because Toronto is Leaf Land no matter where you go in the GTA. & a 2nd NHL. team there won't change that . They would just become the Clippers of the NHL.
Actually the Clippers are enormously profitable. That's why I suggested a second team at ACC trather than a new arena. The Leafs win big because they avoid getting a competitor for non-hockey events. (Which by the way is one reason the Coyotes Glendale Arena struggles so much)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It is Hamilton or nothing for 2nd NHL. team in southern ontario because Toronto is Leaf Land no matter where you go in the GTA. & a 2nd NHL. team there won't change that . They would just become the Clippers of the NHL. & no one in there right mind from southwestern ontario would go to Toronto 2 games . The people of southwestern Ontario want a NHL team that they can call there own not another team in Toronto which already has 7 pro sports teams that have trouble putting butts in the seats with the exeption of the leafs .

The problem with Hamilton though is that not one, but two NHL teams are adamantly opposed to a team being added in there. The Leafs and the Sabres both view Hamilton as being on the edge of their physical turf, meaning that both teams would likely demand a hefty payment for a team to move in or would make such a massive issue out of it that they would likely be able to drum up enough support to block a relocation to Hamilton.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Actually the Clippers are enormously profitable. That's why I suggested a second team at ACC trather than a new arena. The Leafs win big because they avoid getting a competitor for non-hockey events. (Which by the way is one reason the Coyotes Glendale Arena struggles so much)

Yup.

They are content to play second fiddle to the Lakers. Yes, their revenues are low, but their costs are even lower.

They made a profit every year for the last decade ($11M in '09-'10 according to Forbes). They are #23 in revenues, but #11 in operating income - 18 of the 30 teams operated at a loss. They have a low payroll (#30 in '09-'10 according to USA Today) and no debt.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_Los-Angeles-Clippers_322952.html

The skinny
The Clippers posted a mark of 29-53 during the 2009-10 campaign, missing the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year. Since Donald Sterling bought the team in 1981 the Clippers have made the playoffs just four times, the worst record in the NBA over that span. The Clippers have one of the lowest payrolls in the league year-in, year-out, but still manage to get less bank for the buck than most teams. During each of the past four seasons the Clippers had a wins-to-player-costs ratio below 100, meaning the franchise generated less victories per dollar spent than the average NBA team. But the Clippers are also one of the NBA's most profitable teams because they pay very little rent at the Staples Center, consistently draw over 16,000 fans per game and have a decent local television deal with FSN Prime Ticket, despite their horrific performance on the hardwood.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

I live in Hamilton and I would go.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't know why we are so worried about Toronto getting 2nd NHL. team because it won't happen the because MLSE. won't let it happen & there is no serious ownership group with a lot cash to back it up just lot of here say by Watters & MCcown who are known for talking out of there ***** & stirring up the hornets nest .
:laugh: Who's worried? Other than Hamiltonians. :laugh:

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
When Jim Balsille said he wants to bring an NHL. team to the greatest un served market in southern Ontario he ment southwestern ontario such as Hamilton , London , Kitchener\Waterloo , Guelph , Brantford ect. NOT TORONTO .

Ignoramus*

Please, please, please take the Blue Jackets, as is. It would be a wonderful proof or disproof of all the claims that a team would sell out in perpetuity. Let's see what happens after they maintain the standards set by Doug MacLean and continued by Scott Howson. Will they sell out when they are in the draft lottery for 9 of the next 10 years?

Do you have any clue how bad the Maple Leafs have been historically?

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Look Toronto dose not need 2nd NHL. team they got 7 pro sports teams in the Leafs , Marlies , Raptors , Argonauts , Blue Jays , TFC. , Rock & they have trouble putting butts in the seats for all but the leafs they don't need an 8th & they should stop being greedy & support the idea of an NHL. team in Hamilton because think of the blood thirsty rivalry that gose on between the Cats & Argos every year think of what that be like on the ice in the NHL. where you don't get thrown out the game for fighting .

My congratulations to Winnipeg on getting a team back hope to see you in 2 years if & when the coyotes move to Hamilton . :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Look Toronto dose not need 2nd NHL. team they got 7 pro sports teams in the Leafs , Marlies , Raptors , Argonauts , Blue Jays , TFC. , Rock & they have trouble putting butts in the seats for all but the leafs they don't need an 8th & they should stop being greedy & support the idea of an NHL. team in Hamilton because think of the blood thirsty rivalry that gose on between the Cats & Argos every year think of what that be like on the ice in the NHL. where you don't get thrown out the game for fighting .

My congratulations to Winnipeg on getting a team back hope to see you in 2 years if & when the coyotes move to Hamilton . :handclap::handclap::handclap:
This is a hockey board. We don't care about the CFL. The coyotes will either stay in PHX or go to Quebec

Stop. You are making Ontario look bad. Wait your turn.

Ignoramus*

Why do you keep writing the same thing over and over again? Once is enough.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

They have trouble with the others because they're NOT hockey. Another Toronto team would sell out like mad.

I like the idea of another team owned by MLSE even, and playing at the ACC, I just don't know how they'd handle the logo changes all the time. It's not like basketball and just throwing down new wood.

Ignoramus*

Look Toronto dose not need 2nd NHL. team they got 7 pro sports teams in the Leafs , Marlies , Raptors , Argonauts , Blue Jays , TFC. , Rock & they have trouble putting butts in the seats for all but the leafs

Wrong.

The Leafs have sold out practically every game for decades.

The Raptors have great attendance numbers. They are almost always in the top half of the NBA in attendance and are one of the most profitable teams in the entire league.

TFC has the #3 average attendance in MLS. They are HUGE in Toronto and had a crazy sellout streak for years.

The Blue Jays are the ONLY legit example of a pro sports team not selling out in Toronto. And even the Jays were averaging almost 30,000 per game only a few years ago.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
This is a hockey board. We don't care about the CFL. The coyotes will either stay in PHX or go to Quebec

Stop. You are making Ontario look bad. Wait your turn.

Quebec City dose not even have all the funding they need for that new arena they have planed & won't be ready for a team in at least 5 years & I seriously doubt the coyotes will stay in Phoenix past next season . If Balsille 240 million dollar offer still stands you bet the NHL. will take it & allow him to move the Coyotes to Hamilton . One last thing you say I make Ontario you gotta be kidding me Ontario dose not need me to make it look bad you do fine job on doing that yourself all I am is a proud Hamiltonion that just wants to see the NHL team that was promissed. 20+ years ago .:rant::fight:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Doesn't seem like the best location either, as I would expect a suburban Toronto Arena to be in Mississauga/Oakville area, not Markham.

Location is extremely important and Oakville is too far west to be an option. Mississauga has a 710,000+ population, bigger than Hamilton but it's not a hockey city (yet) and the Mississauga Majors OHL team have suffered from poor attendance despite being the best in the OHL this year in the regular season and hosting the Mem Cup. The problem for them is partially the awful location of the Hershey Centre, not as accessible as an arena in downtown Mississauga which is more accessible via Go Buses from Toronto.

I wouldn't mind a second team in Hamilton just because the local population will support it better and it's still close to the GTA (takes 40 minutes to go from Mississauga to Hamilton). Markham is not a good location though. The best location honestly would be north of the ACC towards York but within the borders of Toronto. This is accessible by Toronto itself plus Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, Oakville, Etobicoke, etc.

But it's not as big of an issue as they'll still get a bigger crowd than most of the US teams. I just dunno if Toronto fans could go with another poor franchise in the near-future as whoever moves would have a weakish team even if they can afford to spend to the cap in the future.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Dennis Flaherty, the town’s director of communications, called the news “kind of old”.

He said Markham council has had discussions about building an NHL-size arena as far back as two years ago, mostly in relation to projects like the Canadian Sport Institute Ontario, the Commonwealth Games, the Pan Am Games and the Markham Live project.

Mr. Flaherty said there are no proposals of this kind in the Markham Road and Hwy. 407 area and called the 640 News report speculation.

However, it goes on to say that councilors are being told "not to talk about it," so who knows exactly what is going on..... contradictory reports as is the norm in NHL-related issues these days. :loony:

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1011709--nhl-in-markham

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When Jim Balsille said he wants to bring an NHL. team to the greatest un served market in southern Ontario he ment southwestern ontario such as Hamilton , London , Kitchener\Waterloo , Guelph , Brantford ect. NOT TORONTO .

Well fine then, he won't be considered as a potential owner.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wrong.

The Leafs have sold out practically every game for decades.

The Raptors have great attendance numbers. They are almost always in the top half of the NBA in attendance and are one of the most profitable teams in the entire league.

TFC has the #3 average attendance in MLS. They are HUGE in Toronto and had a crazy sellout streak for years.

The Blue Jays are the ONLY legit example of a pro sports team not selling out in Toronto. And even the Jays were averaging almost 30,000 per game only a few years ago.
The Jays are a good comparison to some hockey markets, which only draw well if their team is a winner. When the Jays won back to back world series. They drew 4 million per season for 3 straight years.setting Major league attendance records, for the time. Pretty impressive actually only 4 different teams have drawn that many and the Jays did it 3 times.

From Wiki
4 million or more home attendance totals

Toronto Blue Jays became the first team in baseball history to draw 4 million mark in attendance in 1991 season. [31]
Team name↓ Season↓ Home attendance↓ Per game↓ Ballpark↓
Colorado Rockies [9] 1993 4,483,350 55,350Mile High Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2008 4,298,655 53,070 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2007 4,271,867 52,739 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2006 4,248,067 52,445 Yankee Stadium
New York Yankees [19] 2005 4,090,696 50,502 Yankee Stadium
Toronto Blue Jays [29] 1993 4,057,947 50,098 SkyDome
New York Mets [18] 2008 4,042,045 49,902 Shea Stadium
Toronto Blue Jays [29] 1992 4,028,318 49,732 SkyDome
Toronto Blue Jays [29] 1991 4,002,527 49,402 SkyDome

Last edited:

Ad