Bill Watters on AM640: Second arena in Toronto?

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Doesn't seem like the best location either, as I would expect a suburban Toronto Arena to be in Mississauga/Oakville area, not Markham.

Yep, I would guess it would be closer to Pearson Intl where the arena mgmt company could take advantage of the ample hotel space to attract conventions as well.

Who owns the empty green space next to Woodbine? [map]

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
1) Their is in Toronto ? ........past 3 yrs in Hamilton three different Billionaries (not media) have displayed interest.... Toronto? Bill watters and his sources lol

2) NHL said no to moving Coyotes to SO market ......... S Ont is MLSE's market, sabres can complain all they want.
1) My point is that there is not in either. Right Now. Not the past 3 years.
2) The Sabres are looking into broadcasting in Ontario. And MLSE was against Balsillie too.

What are you going to do if this does go down in theory? Stop watching hockey?

Bryan574

RON PAUL 2012
Apr 7, 2010
Hamilton,ont
www.youtube.com
1) My point is that there is not in either. Right Now. Not the past 3 years.
2) The Sabres are looking into broadcasting in Ontario. And MLSE was against Balsillie too.

What are you going to do if this does go down in theory? Stop watching hockey?

1)In my 25 years on this earth I have heard zero legitimate interest from a Billionarie wanting put a second franchise in MLSE's backyard just bias Toronto media with agendas and so called Sources.

2)lol NOW they are looking to broacasting into southern Ont they've been around for 40 years I wonder what has stopped them from broadcasting in their so called market? hmmm

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
1)In my 25 years on this earth I have heard zero legitimate interest from a Billionarie wanting put a second franchise in MLSE's backyard just bias Toronto media with agendas and so called Sources.

2)lol NOW they are looking to broacasting into southern Ont they've been around for 40 years I wonder what has stopped them from broadcasting in their so called market? hmmm
1) Me too. Not sure what you point was.
2) They broadcasted over the air until the 1990's, Where were you?

Like I said before, what will you do if this goes down.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think a second team in Toronto and a team in Hamilton would both be successful.

I'm sure if the NHL went to Rogers about a second team in Toronto and JB for Hamilton both would jump at the chance to buy in.

Not going to happen. But if the league was serious about being financially sound...well sounder they'd do it.

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
The traffic in Markham is already disgusting, if they put an NHL arena in the area i'm pretty sure it would take 4 days to get home after a game

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Was this downtown area [LeBreton Flats] ever considered for an Ottawa arena?

It was always out of play. About fifty years ago, the National Capital Commission - who find ways to surpass even Bill Watters in sheer idiocy - expropriated Lebreton Flats and levelled the buildings that stood there. The belief was that given the pretty views of Parliament Hill from there, it would be a great place for a builing and/or monument of "national significance". Said building was almost an office tower when plans were drawn up for a hideous complex in the late 70's but was shot down. Today, the land has the war museum, a condo building, and ****-all else.

Here's a great article on it .. actually, the entire site is a great read :nod:

http://nccwatch.org/blunders/lebreton.htm

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
In my 25 years on this earth I have heard zero legitimate interest from a Billionarie wanting put a second franchise in MLSE's backyard...

Well Bryan, in my 50 something years on this earth Ive heard of a few. John Bassett back in the late 60's & early 70's; Alan Eagleson with backers in the 70's & early 80's; Bill Ballard & Michael Cohl were sniffing it out in the 80's; in fact, theres quite a list of people who have "thought about it" but failed to act or carry through. Eugene Melnyk had his eye on Maple Leaf Gardens but MLSE wouldnt sell it to him unless he signed a non-competition clause. All kinds of funny anecdotal stuff floating around Toronto over another team. No one as serious as Balsillie' & Hamilton of course...... :naughty:

I think a second team in Toronto and a team in Hamilton would both be successful.

Your probably right about that, however, good luck getting MLSE to go along with it. Hamilton they could live with, Markham, Mississauga, Vaghan or Downsview?. Dont think so.......

OT; are you a fan of Zager & Evans, In the Year 2525?. :huh:

Bryan574

RON PAUL 2012
Apr 7, 2010
Hamilton,ont
www.youtube.com
1) Me too. Not sure what you point was.
2) They broadcasted over the air until the 1990's, Where were you?

Like I said before, what will you do if this goes down.

was it every game? why did they stop? why don't I see every Sabres games like I do the Leafs This is their so called market isn't it ? I get every Bills game but when it comes to hockey completely shutout why is hockey different? hmm.

what will I do umm watch Hockey like I am now.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Your probably right about that, however, good luck getting MLSE to go along with it. Hamilton they could live with, Markham, Mississauga, Vaghan or Downsview?. Dont think so.......

OT; are you a fan of Zager & Evans, In the Year 2525?. :huh:

Yes I am. Also plan to be around then:naughty:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Adelphia cable owned the team from the time they went off over the air airwaves until bankruptcy/lockout so the chances of them reaching across the boarder was limited.

Their recent owner had zero interest in spending a penny more than he had to so the initial cost of expanding into the market from a television standpoint was simply a deal-breaker.

Their new owner doesn't care what the cost is and understands that upwards of 25% of people at Sabres games come from southern Ontario and wants to give them a chance to view the game on TV and to grow that market for the team.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
A second team in Toronto? For people who want to watch REAL hockey without the annoying 100 mile drive to Buffalo? ;)

Seriously, I've never liked the idea of 2 teams in Toronto. People there are rabid Leaf fans. The 2nd team, would probably be set up for failure right from the start.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
bell and rogers would litteraly be tripping over eachother to buy an expansion franchise in markham or elsewhere in the gta.

just because no one is openly pandering for a franchise via the media doesn't mean there is no interest. york region is one of, if not the, fastest growing areas in the whole country. it's just as attractive, if not more so, as hamilton.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's no way on earth that the Leafs are going to greenlight this. There's no question that the GTA could easily sustain a second NHL team, but do you really think that the Leafs are going to be willing to let a second team pop up right in their own backyard?

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
A second team in Toronto? For people who want to watch REAL hockey without the annoying 100 mile drive to Buffalo? ;)

Seriously, I've never liked the idea of 2 teams in Toronto. People there are rabid Leaf fans. The 2nd team, would probably be set up for failure right from the start.

set up for failure? i'm sorry, but are you high? do you realize how many people there are in the GTA who can't even get to leafs games as it is? how about the waiting list for leafs season tickets?

of all the friends and aquaintances i have who are rabid hockey fans maybe 1/4 of them are leafs fans. i'd say there's probably just as many people who hate the leafs living in the gta as there are leafs fans. these people would love having another local team to cheer for and there would be an instant rivalry.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's no way on earth that the Leafs are going to greenlight this. There's no question that the GTA could easily sustain a second NHL team, but do you really think that the Leafs are going to be willing to let a second team pop up right in their own backyard?

Regardless of who is right or wrong, the only way a 2nd team ends up in S.O. IMO is either a huge payout going to the Leafs or a huge court case where the Leafs fail to block it. Businesses do not willingly give up a monopoly.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Yep, I would guess it would be closer to Pearson Intl where the arena mgmt company could take advantage of the ample hotel space to attract conventions as well.

Who owns the empty green space next to Woodbine? [map]

You know, I hadn't thought about that but you make good sense. I had always figured further West and South, like Mississauga.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
set up for failure? i'm sorry, but are you high? do you realize how many people there are in the GTA who can't even get to leafs games as it is? how about the waiting list for leafs season tickets?

of all the friends and aquaintances i have who are rabid hockey fans maybe 1/4 of them are leafs fans. i'd say there's probably just as many people who hate the leafs living in the gta as there are leafs fans. these people would love having another local team to cheer for and there would be an instant rivalry.

Nope, not high as you so graciously put it, just call it like I see it. And by the way, I think Winnipeg and Quebec are more deserving of a franchise before Toronto gets a second helping.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Nope, not high as you so graciously put it, just call it like I see it. And by the way, I think Winnipeg and Quebec are more deserving of a franchise before Toronto gets a second helping.

i agree, winnipeg and quebec definately deserve another shot before toronto gets a second team. building an arena doesn't mean they're getting a team any time soon. i think if toronto gets a team it will be through expansion, not relocation.

maybe winnipeg gets a relocated team and they build arenas in quebec and the gta for expansion franchises.

however, this isn't about who's deserving and who's not. this is business and i highly doubt gary bettman and the owners care about who's most deserving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad