Bill Watters on AM640: Second arena in Toronto?

obsenssive*

good. but those territorial infringement fees need to be dropped. they're just stupid and counter-productive. the ducks didn't have to pay any territorial infringements.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
As reported by Bill Watters on AM640 Toronto....

Another NHL franchise may set up shop in the GTA according to AM640's Bill Watters.

Sources tell Watters a new arena, with seating for 19,500 is heading to the Markham Rd & Hwy 407 area, alongside a retail mall, and hotel.

http://www.640toronto.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1419729

Please, please, please take the Blue Jackets, as is. It would be a wonderful proof or disproof of all the claims that a team would sell out in perpetuity. Let's see what happens after they maintain the standards set by Doug MacLean and continued by Scott Howson. Will they sell out when they are in the draft lottery for 9 of the next 10 years?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I call shenanigans. That's a lot to happen so fast that plans for a new arena have dropped literally overnight like this.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Bill Watters. .:rolleyes::loony::facepalm:

Consider the source. He may have had a dream last night that this is going to happen then woke up and thought it was real. I think that's a more likely scenario.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't seem like the best location either, as I would expect a suburban Toronto Arena to be in Mississauga/Oakville area, not Markham.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Please, please, please take the Blue Jackets, as is. It would be a wonderful proof or disproof of all the claims that a team would sell out in perpetuity. Let's see what happens after they maintain the standards set by Doug MacLean and continued by Scott Howson. Will they sell out when they are in the draft lottery for 9 of the next 10 years?

Aren't the Leafs proof enough? They've sucked since forever, missed the playoffs the last 6 seasons and have very few draft picks or prospects to show for their sucking all those years.

Anyways, I have a hard time believing MLSE would let someone walk right in with a team right in their own backyard - even with a big territorial fee paid to them. Unless the arena will be owned by MLSE, they won't want another venue taking away events from them.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Bill Watters. .:rolleyes::loony::facepalm:

Consider the source. He may have had a dream last night that this is going to happen then woke up and thought it was real. I think that's a more likely scenario.

Watters hasn't been in the news a lot since getting fired from Sportsnet, it entirely is possible that he is just trying to draw attention to himself IMO.

Pretending just for a brief second that this is real, isn't the day of middle of nowhere suburban arenas long over?

Yep, this is far from an ideal location for an NHL arena. Middle of suburbia, somewhat inconvenient location, and of course, no mass transit connection.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Bill Watters has the intelligence of an inbred starfish. The only media outlet this person should be working for is the Dog River Howler.

The only place an arena, shopping mall, and hotel could go in the Markham Road/Hwy 407 area is underneath powerlines (which is where I'm pretty sure a location Watters spent a significant portion of his childhood, thus explaining what an idiot he is), or on top of a conservation area.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
good. but those territorial infringement fees need to be dropped. they're just stupid and counter-productive. the ducks didn't have to pay any territorial infringements.

It's really up to whose territory their infringing upon. The Kings chose not to charge the Ducks, that was their prerogative.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I live 10 minutes north from there so it'd be great for me if that were to happen.

But I just can't see it. I can't think of a piece of land which would accommodate such a complex. Furthermore, that area is congested as it is with a poor transportation system. It'd be a nightmare.

throatguzzler

May 18, 2010
Philly'ish
Looks smack dab in the middle of the backwaters of suburbia. Almost as bad as the Piston's arena. Why don't they simply grant Hamilton a franchise???

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Are the Leafs proof enough? They've sucked since forever, missed the playoffs the last 6 seasons and have very few draft picks or prospects to show for their sucking all those years.

Anyways, I have a hard time believing MLSE would let someone walk right in with a team right in their own backyard - even with a big territorial fee paid to them. Unless the arena will be owned by MLSE, they won't want another venue taking away events from them.

As far as the Leafs go, no. Not even close. Eliminate their history, any success and all but one playoff appearance this century and
any playoff games won.

Or, just imagine the new team is an expansion team and finishes 40 points out of 1st in the division, then 59 points, then 41 points out, 45 points behind, 46 behind, 40 behind, 35 behind, 20 behind- qualify for the playoffs and get swept in four games, 33 points behind, and 23 behind.

The best finish is 3rd in the division one time, and no real indication they will improve. The only other team that compares is Atlanta. Even Florida had the magic rats on the ice in 96.

I want to see 10 years of that in Vaughn or Mississauga and see if they sell out in perpetuity.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
I call shenanigans. That's a lot to happen so fast that plans for a new arena have dropped literally overnight like this.

Like we haven't heard plans like these 10 times over in the past. It always turns out it's some pie-in-the-sky dreaming developer that barely has more than two sheets to rub together...:shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's really up to whose territory their infringing upon. The Kings chose not to charge the Ducks, that was their prerogative.

Bruce McNall, then owner of the Kings' & Chairman of the NHL's BOG received $25M of the $50M paid by Disney for the franchise in Anaheim. The only other indemnification or relocation fee that Ive ever heard of was the one the Colorado Rockies in becoming the NJ Devils paid to the Islanders, Rangers & Flyers for their incursion into those teams broadcasting zones. How much, I dont know, but in 1980 terms it probably wasnt a lot....... and in all fairness to Watters, plans like this surface throughout the GTA from time-time, some serious, some not. Frankly, I have a hard time buying into the idea at all, however, I havent lived in Toronto for nearly 2 decades now & really am unqualified to be commenting on either the feasibility or viability of a 2nd team. For sure MLSE would be looking for some serious dollars, as the competition for concerts & events; eating into their broadcasting revenues etc would be costly. You'd also have to think a really serious player would be looking at Downsview as opposed to Markham.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Like we haven't heard plans like these 10 times over in the past. It always turns out it's some pie-in-the-sky dreaming developer that barely has more than two sheets to rub together...:shakehead

Yup. My favorite was the "Toronto Legacy" guy. Some sort of community owned charity dealeo that was beyond bizarre. Designed the uni's, held a presser. :laugh:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Watters hasn't been in the news a lot since getting fired from Sportsnet, it entirely is possible that he is just trying to draw attention to himself IMO.

Yep, this is far from an ideal location for an NHL arena. Middle of suburbia, somewhat inconvenient location, and of course, no mass transit connection.
It's 3 minutes by car to the Markham GO. TTC runs a bus on Markham road. So does YRT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad