Bill Watters on AM640: Second arena in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Warden of the North, May 18, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Warden of the North

Warden of the North The Matthews Show

Last edited by moderator Majik1987: Nov 22, 2011
  2. obsenssive*

obsenssive* Guest

good. but those territorial infringement fees need to be dropped. they're just stupid and counter-productive. the ducks didn't have to pay any territorial infringements.

3. TaketheCannoli

TaketheCannoli RIP

Please, please, please take the Blue Jackets, as is. It would be a wonderful proof or disproof of all the claims that a team would sell out in perpetuity. Let's see what happens after they maintain the standards set by Doug MacLean and continued by Scott Howson. Will they sell out when they are in the draft lottery for 9 of the next 10 years?

4. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

I call shenanigans. That's a lot to happen so fast that plans for a new arena have dropped literally overnight like this.

5. mikelvl

mikelvl Registered User

Finance
    Bill Watters. .:rolleyes::loony::facepalm:

Consider the source. He may have had a dream last night that this is going to happen then woke up and thought it was real. I think that's a more likely scenario.

6. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

We will see.... The NHL party line continues to be " Just because you build it, doesn't mean we will come "

7. Egil

Egil Registered User

Home Page:
    Doesn't seem like the best location either, as I would expect a suburban Toronto Arena to be in Mississauga/Oakville area, not Markham.

8. berklon

berklon Registered User

Aren't the Leafs proof enough? They've sucked since forever, missed the playoffs the last 6 seasons and have very few draft picks or prospects to show for their sucking all those years.

Anyways, I have a hard time believing MLSE would let someone walk right in with a team right in their own backyard - even with a big territorial fee paid to them. Unless the arena will be owned by MLSE, they won't want another venue taking away events from them.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. DaleCooper

DaleCooper NEVER 4GET

Transportation Planner
    Home Page:
    Pretending just for a brief second that this is real, isn't the day of middle of nowhere suburban arenas long over?

10. Warden of the North

Warden of the North The Matthews Show

Meh. i think it could work in Toronto. The price of Leafs tickets will drive people to it. This isnt Phx.

11. htpwn

htpwn Registered User

Watters hasn't been in the news a lot since getting fired from Sportsnet, it entirely is possible that he is just trying to draw attention to himself IMO.

Yep, this is far from an ideal location for an NHL arena. Middle of suburbia, somewhat inconvenient location, and of course, no mass transit connection.

12. Buck Aki Berg

Buck Aki Berg Done with this place

Bacon sampler.
    Bill Watters has the intelligence of an inbred starfish. The only media outlet this person should be working for is the Dog River Howler.

The only place an arena, shopping mall, and hotel could go in the Markham Road/Hwy 407 area is underneath powerlines (which is where I'm pretty sure a location Watters spent a significant portion of his childhood, thus explaining what an idiot he is), or on top of a conservation area.

13. MoreOrr

MoreOrr B4

It's really up to whose territory their infringing upon. The Kings chose not to charge the Ducks, that was their prerogative.

14. TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage Registered User

I live 10 minutes north from there so it'd be great for me if that were to happen.

But I just can't see it. I can't think of a piece of land which would accommodate such a complex. Furthermore, that area is congested as it is with a poor transportation system. It'd be a nightmare.

15. Jesus Christ Horburn

Jesus Christ Horburn Registered User

Does GTA getting a second team affect Hamilton's chances?

16. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

The Kings received $25 million from the Ducks' expansion fee.

17. htpwn

htpwn Registered User

If the GTA gets a second team, then Hamilton might as well give up IMO. Three teams in the Golden Horseshoe is probably a stretch.

18. throatguzzler

throatguzzler Registered User

Looks smack dab in the middle of the backwaters of suburbia. Almost as bad as the Piston's arena. Why don't they simply grant Hamilton a franchise???

19. CBJ goalie

CBJ goalie Registered User

Love the comments on Watters - keep 'em coming.

20. TaketheCannoli

TaketheCannoli RIP

As far as the Leafs go, no. Not even close. Eliminate their history, any success and all but one playoff appearance this century and
    any playoff games won.

Or, just imagine the new team is an expansion team and finishes 40 points out of 1st in the division, then 59 points, then 41 points out, 45 points behind, 46 behind, 40 behind, 35 behind, 20 behind- qualify for the playoffs and get swept in four games, 33 points behind, and 23 behind.

The best finish is 3rd in the division one time, and no real indication they will improve. The only other team that compares is Atlanta. Even Florida had the magic rats on the ice in 96.

I want to see 10 years of that in Vaughn or Mississauga and see if they sell out in perpetuity.

21. Evil Doctor

Evil Doctor Cryin' Hank crying

Actor
    Like we haven't heard plans like these 10 times over in the past. It always turns out it's some pie-in-the-sky dreaming developer that barely has more than two sheets to rub together...:shakehead

22. Killion

Killion Registered User

Bruce McNall, then owner of the Kings' & Chairman of the NHL's BOG received $25M of the $50M paid by Disney for the franchise in Anaheim. The only other indemnification or relocation fee that Ive ever heard of was the one the Colorado Rockies in becoming the NJ Devils paid to the Islanders, Rangers & Flyers for their incursion into those teams broadcasting zones. How much, I dont know, but in 1980 terms it probably wasnt a lot....... and in all fairness to Watters, plans like this surface throughout the GTA from time-time, some serious, some not. Frankly, I have a hard time buying into the idea at all, however, I havent lived in Toronto for nearly 2 decades now & really am unqualified to be commenting on either the feasibility or viability of a 2nd team. For sure MLSE would be looking for some serious dollars, as the competition for concerts & events; eating into their broadcasting revenues etc would be costly. You'd also have to think a really serious player would be looking at Downsview as opposed to Markham.

23. Killion

Killion Registered User

Yup. My favorite was the "Toronto Legacy" guy. Some sort of community owned charity dealeo that was beyond bizarre. Designed the uni's, held a presser. :laugh:

24. KevFu

KevFu Registered User

California from Rochester via New Orleans
    That's grossly incorrect.

LA recruited Disney to own the Ducks because McNall WANTED the territorial fee.

The Ducks paid $25 mil to McNall. And $25 mil to the NHL.

25. Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch Registered User

It's 3 minutes by car to the Markham GO. TTC runs a bus on Markham road. So does YRT.