Bill Sweatt

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Where is Sweatt projected to go in the draft? I've seen him as high as 12th overall in some rankings while in others he's in mid to low 2nd round. Any idea where he'll be picked?

I saw a little of his play in the WJC but I'd like to know more about his game in general. I know he's fast and he looked pretty good on the PK in the WJC, but how good is he offensively? What type of player do you think he'll develop into?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bump.

I'd also like some info on this guy. All I know is he is a great skater. What kind of offensive potential does he have?

turnbuckle*

Scouts have been questioning his offensive upside - but all he's been doing all season is prove those scouts wrong. He was productive and impressive at the WJC's, and he's doing the same thing in his rookie NCAA season with 23 points in 26 games, for a .88 PPG average. In comparison, fellow prospect Jim O'Brien, rated in the same area as Sweatt, has 12 points. Mind you O'Brien plays on a powerhouse and doesn't see much ice time, but the fact is that Sweatt is answering many of his critics with his offensive production as a 17-year-old freshman.

He creates plenty of scoring opportunities with his speed, which is going to be elite even at the NHL level. I wouldn't be shocked if Sweatt ended up being a top ten pick.

Scouts have been questioning his offensive upside - but all he's been doing all season is prove those scouts wrong. He was productive and impressive at the WJC's, and he's doing the same thing in his rookie NCAA season with 23 points in 26 games, for a .88 PPG average. In comparison, fellow prospect Jim O'Brien, rated in the same area as Sweatt, has 12 points. Mind you O'Brien plays on a powerhouse and doesn't see much ice time, but the fact is that Sweatt is answering many of his critics with his offensive production as a 17-year-old freshman.

He creates plenty of scoring opportunities with his speed, which is going to be elite even at the NHL level. I wouldn't be shocked if Sweatt ended up being a top ten pick.

Sweatt's actually a late birthday and an 18-year-old. Still, an impressive season by him. The numbers are similar to what Drew Stafford put up, who also had the low offensive upside label, and he's been very impressive since turning pro.

turnbuckle*

Sweatt's actually a late birthday and an 18-year-old. Still, an impressive season by him. The numbers are similar to what Drew Stafford put up, who also had the low offensive upside label, and he's been very impressive since turning pro.

He was a 17-year-old freshman at the start of the season. He came into the league this season at 17, and he has impressive numbers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The thing about Sweatt that really makes me love him is that I think his game will be the exact same in any league he plays in with a possibly seemless transition. I just see him as that type of player. So what he's doing now is what I think he will be doing in the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Also, this is just a bit of me thinking here, but I think you could possibly see a team in the top 5 or 6 take a chance on him. I think he's a VERY safe pick but he's a safe pick that isn't just going to be a 3rd or 4th liner. I think he's about as sure fire a 2nd line player there is in this draft right now. I'd look at him being a 65 point forward for most of his career in the NHL.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Also, this is just a bit of me thinking here, but I think you could possibly see a team in the top 5 or 6 take a chance on him. I think he's a VERY safe pick but he's a safe pick that isn't just going to be a 3rd or 4th liner. I think he's about as sure fire a 2nd line player there is in this draft right now. I'd look at him being a 65 point forward for most of his career in the NHL.

am i very far off if i compare him to ryan smyth?? i have only seen him one or two times. keep that in mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->