Confirmed with Link: Bill Sweatt signs with Brynas

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
alright, scratch one off the list (for n0w)!
Although i will say before they signed him, there was some potential in him to play in nhl (whatever the role that might have been)
and he gradually developed in ahl and did play a few games for us = partial success.
so i feel like that contract wasnt a waste like tochkin was

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The team qualifying him makes more sense now. If he turns into something over there, they still have a few more years of team control.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Easy come, easy go. Like a few have said, at least we retain his rights.

I ain't even mad.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. His 'development' in the AHL seemed to have really hit a ceiling. A real 'tweener' player if there ever was one. Lacking the hands and vision to be a true 'top-6 scorer' but without the size/grit/toughness/defensive shutdown qualities to be a particularly desirable bottom-6 grinder.

But heading over to Europe may be the best thing for him. At the worst, he should be able to carve out a reasonable career for himself there as opposed to in the AHL, if that's what he's after. And his speed should be accentuated on the 'big ice'. Seems really unlikely to me that he takes any sort of further 'steps' in his 'development', as it seems like he's reached the limits of his abilities in terms of his offensive tools...but if he continues to round out and refine the rest of his game, maybe he garners some interest as a depth NHL guy down the line? Though it seems a longshot at this point to me.

All in all...really not sad to see him go, nice enough that we'll retain his right a bit longer should something miraculous occur. But really a 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' sort of situation. Nabbed for free, leaves having contributed a little bit to our farm team and not much else. Fair enough. :dunno:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Seems like just yesterday Leafs fans were tearing him a new one for signing with us over them. Would've been nice if he'd actually panned out.

Oh well. Later, Sweaty.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Not sure if its best for his development (at least as a NHL player) but good for him to get more playing time. Does hurt our depth a little since he isn't bad as a depth winger if a couple players get hurt.

Hopefully he develops some hands and comes back next year. Of course this might free up a contract slot for us so its not really bad news either since we keep his right without burning a contract slot.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
His speed consistently created great chances for Sweatt at the AHL level but he showed so little ability to put away those chances. I think he has questionable hockey sense and not much vision. Lots of the parts are there but not a complete package. Too bad, in a way, b/c he would have helped in Utica.

Probably suited to European hockey. Hopefully does well there and becomes a better asset for the team.

Reminds me a lot of Dustin Boyd.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Easy come, easy go. Like a few have said, at least we retain his rights.

I ain't even mad.

I dunno man, I think u mad :sarcasm:

His speed consistently created great chances for Sweatt at the AHL level but he showed so little ability to put away those chances. I think he has questionable hockey sense and not much vision. Lots of the parts are there but not a complete package. Too bad, in a way, b/c he would have helped in Utica.

Probably suited to European hockey. Hopefully does well there and becomes a better asset for the team.

Reminds me a lot of Dustin Boyd.

It is too bad because he would've been a useful piece to have on the farm though, no matter what you think of his future as an NHL'er. Ah well, good luck to him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This is really the best case scenario, we hold his rights, free up a contract spot and he has some more time to put it all together.

Ruston*

Nothing says success like Tom Sestitio as Vancouver's full-time 4th line LW.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Unfortunately he was'nt a difference maker at the AHL level so any sort of NHL future besides a depth call-up is doubtful for him a this point.Hopefully his skillset will be more suited to the SEL and he can make a go of it there.

I'm kinda glad he did'nt resign as I'd rather see his contract used for a younger free agent signing like Archibald or McEneny and have AHL contracts handed out for vets with little hope for the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad