Bill Sweatt potential

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date

Randall Graves*

Some of the stuff i've read on him says he's a 'safe' pick, the few times I have gotten to watch him play i've always come away impressed with his game. Why is he considered a safe player? Do most people see him as a career 3rd liner or something along those lines?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Safe pick for me is a fast and physical guy who will be checking line or energy line player in case he will not make scoring lines ... Sweatt is that kind of player, Imo, but I've seen only a bit of him at WJC.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Safe pick for me is a fast and physical guy who will be checking line or energy line player in case he will not make scoring lines ... Sweatt is that kind of player, Imo, but I've seen only a bit of him at WJC.
Yeah that's about it from what I've heard...his speed alone should lead him to the NHL! And some scouts aren't sold on his offensive potential but he still had a good freshman year. I guess he's hard to predict, but the team who will draft him should be happy nomather what...

Randy May

/

I've seen Bill Sweatt play live about 25 games now. The one NHL player that he reminds me of in both style and substance is Jeremy Roenick (the one before the Hatcher hit). In fact I would have to say 75% Roenick with maybe 25% Tony Amonte in there as well. Yes, I'm a long-time Hawks fan...but the similarities to both those players is remarkable. Sweatt even has the Roenick "hops" moving laterally on a rush with the puck trying to avoid a check...looks just like JR when he does that.

And I would say just enough Amonte to make him a winger instead of a center. Good along the boards...good vision from the corner to his teammates. He can keep control of the puck there, head up, with a d hanging all over him. He made a lot of great passes to his guys that were cheating to the slot during cycling plays.

The only main weakness I've seen from Bill is in completely settled powerplay situations...he actually gets a little case of the stares when he has the puck in those situations for some reason. I think he is thinking of a move where he either lulls his man to sleep and breaks around him for a play or is actually hoping to draw tighter defense from the box/diamond so that he can make one of those long passes to a ridiculously open teammate...again, something that he is very good at in traffic. But every once in awhile he simply loses the puck to his man.

Bottom line is he is fast as heck and is not shy from contact. Even gets a little chippy at times. Can't wait for next season in Colorado Springs!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He will NEVER be an Amonte or a Roenick at his peak. He might have similar playing styles, but I doubt he hits those two level's peak performances.

Billy Sweatt will be a very safe, very solid 2nd line player, IMO.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
The only main weakness I've seen from Bill is in completely settled powerplay situations...he actually gets a little case of the stares when he has the puck in those situations for some reason. I think he is thinking of a move where he either lulls his man to sleep and breaks around him for a play or is actually hoping to draw tighter defense from the box/diamond so that he can make one of those long passes to a ridiculously open teammate...again, something that he is very good at in traffic. But every once in awhile he simply loses the puck to his man.

He's also very young. As he grows and develops, he'll learn from his mistakes and that's just going to make him an even better player. I also had a chance to see Sweatt numerous times this season and this kid has just begun to scratch the surface of what he is capable of doing. The sky is the limit for him and I also can't wait to see him again next season.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Randy May, from your viewings what do you think of Sweatt's hands and offensive abilities? He sounds similar to Chris Higgins but a notch below offensively and perhaps more playmaker whereas Higgins is more of a goal scorer.

Randy May

Randy May, from your viewings what do you think of Sweatt's hands and offensive abilities? He sounds similar to Chris Higgins but a notch below offensively and perhaps more playmaker whereas Higgins is more of a goal scorer.

Yes I would definitely call BSweatt more of a playmaking winger more than a pure goal scorer at this point. He can definitely make something of nothing and makes his teammates better...and he does not need a playmaking center for his skills to translate. His stickhandling is almost up to speed with his hands...not quite but that is not unsual for 19.

I'm sure he is shooting the puck 1000 times day this summer and it will be interesting to see how his shot is this fall.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Thanks for the info...Carnac.

I realize it's only 1% of HF posters that do this but it never ceases to amaze me the completely ignorant a-holes that insist on spinning a very simple and relevant comment into some out of context universe just so they can make some uneducated transparent and WEAK know-it-all comment.

Hardly enough to reply to, but humorous nonetheless.
I appreciate your input on Sweatt, Randy May, but I'm not sure you're being fair to JonRX. After all, he is simply disagreeing with your comparisons to Roenick and Amonte. That seems relevant to your post, as I read it. Granted, the "never" in all caps was a bit extreme, but not enough to resort to name calling, at least imo. Aside from that, it's fair for you to disagree with him and fair for him to disagree with you.

And if you have noticed any of his posts on this subject I think you would see he is actually a fan of Billy Sweatt.

Randall Graves*

He will NEVER be an Amonte or a Roenick at his peak. He might have similar playing styles, but I doubt he hits those two level's peak performances.

Billy Sweatt will be a very safe, very solid 2nd line player, IMO.
I would be content drafting a good 2nd liner in this draft, if the Ducks can't get a good d at 16 i'm hoping Sweatt is a viable option and is available

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Thanks for the info...Carnac.

I realize it's only 1% of HF posters that do this but it never ceases to amaze me the completely ignorant a-holes that insist on spinning a very simple and relevant comment into some out of context universe just so they can make some uneducated transparent and WEAK know-it-all comment.

Hardly enough to reply to, but humorous nonetheless.

i dont think you know who you are talking to. jon knows he's stuff. and he only disagreed with you. you cant expect everyone to have the same opinion as you.

Randy May

i dont think you know who you are talking to. jon knows he's stuff. and he only disagreed with you. you cant expect everyone to have the same opinion as you.

As if you know me.

My point is... he did not disagree with me in the least. I don't make predictions about players future statistical (or otherwise) performances...never have, never will. I know 110% about their abilities right now and I know them better than anyone else here. But that's all I know. Carnac on the other hand has a flipping time machine. Good for him. Go ahead to 2099 and order a Coke Zero...see what that gets ya.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
When someone makes a prospect comparison, they are doing so by evaluating the player's similar playing styles.

In the end, Thomas Vanek might score the same amount of goals and points as Mark Recchi (508/1333) but no way in HELL would I compare the two. People need to chill out and not overanalyze things to prove a point/their point.

I don't give a damn what Brian Gionta or Ryan Callahan are doing at the NHL level, to say that Oscar Moller plays a similar style.

Randy May

When someone makes a prospect comparison, they are doing so by evaluating the player's similar playing styles.

In the end, Thomas Vanek might score the same amount of goals and points as Mark Recchi (508/1333) but no way in HELL would I compare the two. People need to chill out and not overanalyze things to prove a point/their point.

I don't give a damn what Brian Gionta or Ryan Callahan are doing at the NHL level, to say that Oscar Moller plays a similar style.

:biglaugh: :yo:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Any chances to see the Habs drafting him with their 2nd 1rst round pick ( 27ish ) ?

Some team with a wild hair *could* take him in the top ten. Like Jon said, he is a VERY safe bet to play on a team's second line for a decade. Does he have homerun potential? I don't think so, but I think most would agree a solid second liner is a worthy pick up in the top half of a fairly weak draft.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I asked Pat Kane about him and he finds him an incredible player. I would say he could be a player who will be on every line in every situation. A PK monster for years to come. Top 15 pick IMO, wouldnt be angry if he was taken at 12 one bit.

Randy May

I asked Pat Kane about him and he finds him an incredible player. I would say he could be a player who will be on every line in every situation. A PK monster for years to come. Top 15 pick IMO, wouldnt be angry if he was taken at 12 one bit.

What a weird coincidence...I've been meaning to ask Bill Sweatt about Pat Kane! No lie! LOL. Thought I would wait until I see who he gets drafted by...hoping it is my Blackhawks.

What is your opinion of Kane?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i would think tis true the avs would have a tough time passing this kid up. they may need more d prospects right now, but i think he is a good fit there.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
As if you know me.

My point is... he did not disagree with me in the least. I don't make predictions about players future statistical (or otherwise) performances...never have, never will. I know 110% about their abilities right now and I know them better than anyone else here. But that's all I know. Carnac on the other hand has a flipping time machine. Good for him. Go ahead to 2099 and order a Coke Zero...see what that gets ya.

who are them???? is it the players on colorado or every singel prospect on this planet??? anyway. i would doubt both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad