Confirmed with Link: Bill Peters next head coach for Calgary

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Frolik had a bad year, but to suggest he was a bad signing I think is ridiculous. Our RW depth with him in the lineup is god awful, take him out and we're fighting to escape the top 5. He's also been an insturmental piece of our PK since he's arrived, and besides offensively this year at the very least a successful passenger on the best two way line in the league.

You want to point fingers OKG, look at your boys Jankowski and Bennett. We needed depth scoring from guys on cheaper contracts like you suggest (Hartmans, Hino, etc) and both of them didn't produce enough.
You said Bennett would emerge as a true #1 C when/if Monahan was gone. Where was he to end the season then?

While Bennett definitely disappointed, Jankowski did get 17 goals this season. To put this into perspective, 2 of our top 6 guys ended up with less than that. I really hope Bennett can breakout next year (maybe move into the Backlund Frolik or Gaudreau Monahan line), but each year gives me less and less confidence. Our RW depth absolutely killed us though (Hathaway had no place on the third line, and Brouwer is just a flat out joke).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
While Bennett definitely disappointed, Jankowski did get 17 goals this season. To put this into perspective, 2 of our top 6 guys ended up with less than that. I really hope Bennett can breakout next year (maybe move into the Backlund Frolik or Gaudreau Monahan line), but each year gives me less and less confidence. Our RW depth absolutely killed us though (Hathaway had no place on the third line, and Brouwer is just a flat out joke).

To be fair.
4 of those 17 goals were in one game.
6 of the remaining 13 were when Bennett was the best player on the Flames during November/December.

Overall depth hurt us bad, as did deployment. I.E:
"These guys can't score to save their lives, and get hemmed in every single night... I better keep them together."

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wasn't sure where to post this, but Canada is looking like crap at the WC

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

NJ PP the last 3 years:
2017-18: 21.4% (10th)
2016-17: 17.5 %(22nd)
2015-16: 19.9% (9th)

Ward was also an assistant for the Bruins in 2011 when they won the cup.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
From a Devils blogger

Edit: Man pretty much every Devils fan is thrilled he might be leaving

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Honestly, when it comes to coaching, especially assistant coaches, we as fans know very little about what they actually do.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
They should have done what I said last year and just had a players meeting and choose to ignore Cameron. Mutiny I tell ya!

Like, how frustrated would you be as a player to play such a stupid system and then get yelled at when you didn't "execute properly". Also lol'd when Mony/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Hamilton were playing the PP with Brouwer and no one passed him the puck the entire time.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I was mildly excited until I realized that Ward was the one controlling the 2011 Cup Winning Bruin's PP that didn't score a PP goal until the finals lol.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Devils fan here. Ward is an upgrade over what you guys had, but expect it to be inconsistent, and expect when it goes to shit and isn't producing, for very little to be adjusted until it starts to contribute to a lenghty losing streak.

Let me just give you an idea of some shit we saw in NJ. It took a 6-7 game losing streak for him to take Brian Boyle and Travis Zajac off the first PP unit. He had those two on that unit (Hall, Palmieri and Butcher) over Hischier.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Let me just give you an idea of some **** we saw in NJ. It took a 6-7 game losing streak for him to take Brian Boyle and Travis Zajac off the first PP unit. He had those two on that unit (Hall, Palmieri and Butcher) over Hischier.

Dave Cameron took 50 games before deciding Tkachuk and Dougie Hamilton would be good additions to the first powerplay. It'd be really tough for Ward to be worse than Cameron.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Devils fan here. Ward is an upgrade over what you guys had, but expect it to be inconsistent, and expect when it goes to **** and isn't producing, for very little to be adjusted until it starts to contribute to a lenghty losing streak.

Let me just give you an idea of some **** we saw in NJ. It took a 6-7 game losing streak for him to take Brian Boyle and Travis Zajac off the first PP unit. He had those two on that unit (Hall, Palmieri and Butcher) over Hischier.

I mean the head coach still has to sign off on everything and Peters seems pretty hands onto me. How’s his systems though?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Its hilarious hearing complaining about inconsistent PPs, that's kind of the nature of the beast isn't it? It gets hot when the players do

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Its hilarious hearing complaining about inconsistent PPs, that's kind of the nature of the beast isn't it? It gets hot when the players do

Even the best PPs fail overwhelmingly more often than they succeed. It's like a baseball fan complaining about how a player on their team might go entire games without getting on base. It's the nature of the beast.

People will claim "yes, but some PPs look good even when they fail" and I'd say even that isn't true. Washington's PP, Winnipeg's PP, etc. All the PPs that are very good and very effective also have their duds. So I'm not worried in the slightest about the criticisms of Ward. A losing team will have no shortage of scapegoats.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Even the best PPs fail overwhelmingly more often than they succeed. It's like a baseball fan complaining about how a player on their team might go entire games without getting on base. It's the nature of the beast.

People will claim "yes, but some PPs look good even when they fail" and I'd say even that isn't true. Washington's PP, Winnipeg's PP, etc. All the PPs that are very good and very effective also have their duds. So I'm not worried in the slightest about the criticisms of Ward. A losing team will have no shortage of scapegoats.
Exactly AS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->