Bill Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
what makes you think he'll rebound next year? He schooled Dubas into a inflated contract, I think there's just as much a chance he regresses next season as there is he plays up to his contract. Besides he's maore valuable a a trade chip to improve the D, his offensive prowess (when present) is expendable for help on the D.

folks have said for years,,,,, Melander needs to be pushed

he got his phat contract already

so i ask,,where will the push come from???

Does he look like the type of guy on the ice?,,to self motivate????LOLZZZ UMMMM NO!

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
We didn't lose this series because of nylander but I also do not see any posters saying that.

Basically he had a very disappointing season. Held out for ~2months, signed for more than his comparables, ended with a ~0.5 ppg and then had a weak post season.

Watching last night I felt bad for willy though. He was in the offensive zone and he stole the puck a couple of times but brown and Marleau didn't even move to get open so nylander had no support.

But if we are paying him 7mil (he was actually top 10 in the league this season in salary) we are expecting results.

He was outplayed by pasta again!

Very disappointing. Cant help but feel like I was right in that trading him last summer would have been the correct move

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
and that dinosaur hockey just beat us in game,,,, 7,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, AGAIN

take your small ,soft, skilled euro crap and stuff it.
Right now he must be his Canadian self. He plays great for Sweden .

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We didn't lose this series because of nylander but I also do not see any posters saying that.

Basically he had a very disappointing season. Held out for ~2months, signed for more than his comparables, ended with a ~0.5 ppg and then had a weak post season.

Watching last night I felt bad for willy though. He was in the offensive zone and he stole the puck a couple of times but brown and Marleau didn't even move to get open so nylander had no support.

But if we are paying him 7mil (he was actually top 10 in the league this season in salary) we are expecting results.

Very disappointing. Cant help but feel like I was right in that trading him last summer would have been the correct move

I originally thought trading him was the right move, but reading this board actually changed my mind. I bought the hfboards/mapleleafs.com hype train.

Never again.

Everyone who thought nylander was comparable to marner are just flat out wrong. People who are defending nylander today are just wrong. Nylander had a terrible season after getting a fantastic (from his perspective) contract. He isn’t the reason the leafs lost this series, but he is a boat anchor on the roster and him staying with the team will hold dubas back from making the improvements needed.

He might turn out to be a great player, seguin is doing well, but Boston doesn’t miss him. He can go and try to be a great player on another team as far as I’m concerned. His season is really inexcusable. His playoffs were a disaster

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

He doesn't look like a center. Maybe with 40+ games he can shed the winger habits but the loss of Kadri didn't help Willie's post season at all. He needs a reset, which is what I feared after watching him flounder most of the year. I was actually more on the side of letting him sit which in retrospect would have probably won them more games as they were top 3 when he came back and slid several spots by season's end. He will be fine next season but he should be a full time winger. I think he may yet be a casualty of the early exit if he has retained a high enough market value.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He doesn't look like a center. Maybe with 40+ games he can shed the winger habits but the loss of Kadri didn't help Willie's post season at all. He needs a reset, which is what I feared after watching him flounder most of the year. I was actually more on the side of letting him sit which in retrospect would have probably won them more games as they were top 3 when he came back and slid several spots by season's end. He will be fine next season but he should be a full time winger. I think he may yet be a casualty of the early exit if he has retained a high enough market value.

Kadri needs a new team too. No excuse for that suspension

Reactions: CelticDruid

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Do we want to have a culture like the Bruins? IE a winning one?

Look at what the Bruins do:

"Kessel you are an uber talented young player but you're not Bruins material. Goodbye!"

" Seguin, man are you talented. You're also not really Bruin material though. Goodbye!"

They're not afraid to cut the chord on super talented players that don't fit into a winning culture.

And we laugh at the Bruins for trading away Seguin and they laugh at us after they beat us every year and watch our players head to the golf course.

It''s hard for me to imagine guys like Bergy, Chara, Marchand and CAM NEELY tolerating Michael/William.

Hamilton had the exact same issue

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Kadri needs a new team too. No excuse for that suspension

Yeah I don't know what they do about that. Soft as kittens teams shouldn't trade one of the few talented guys with any grit and I do not think Nylander can replace him at C. Still back to back suspensions is monumentally dumb. Maybe its time.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Our team is way too soft and needs grit and character. We also have too many passengers. This team needs big changes to win next year. Leaf fans have to stop seeing losing as politically correct and making excuses. Losers make excuses, champions don't! This team hasn't won since 1967 and there is a good reason for that. Lou was fired for far less that Dubas who is blinded by analytics. The result? Nothing. This is the pros and Dubas failed while Lou moved on with a less talented roster. EOS

Reactions: Faltorvo

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yeah I don't know what they do about that. Soft as kittens teams shouldn't trade one of the few talented guys with any grit and I do not think Nylander can replace him at C. Still back to back suspensions is monumentally dumb. Maybe its time.

I think it’s time, the leafs have given Kadri plenty of rope to mature emotionally and he hasn’t been able to do it yet. I like Kadri, but he has hurt the team two years in a row in non-hockey plays.

Maybe dubas can swing a defensive center and/or a power forward? Changes need to be made, these few players are the choices I would make to make room for contracts and give new players a shot

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
you think Salming played euro style in the NHL???

who the fck are you trying to kid here??????
He played his style that was from europe adapted to NHL. There are many players playing a tough european style. Just hate the label soft because its from europe. Thats all.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I’ve seen no one claim it was a discount. Plenty say it’s fair of course they do at what he was producing before this season $7m is might close to fair if you include progression. As I said max $500k overpaid max

Include progression? Nylanders' "progression" has been going the wrong direction. Easily 1 mil overpaid.... probably more.

Do we want to have a culture like the Bruins? IE a winning one?

Look at what the Bruins do:

"Kessel you are an uber talented young player but you're not Bruins material. Goodbye!"

" Seguin, man are you talented. You're also not really Bruin material though. Goodbye!"

They're not afraid to cut the chord on super talented players that don't fit into a winning culture.

And we laugh at the Bruins for trading away Seguin and they laugh at us after they beat us every year and watch our players head to the golf course.

It''s hard for me to imagine guys like Bergy, Chara, Marchand and CAM NEELY tolerating Michael/William.

Interesting thought.

I'd also add:
Bergeron: 6.875 mil AAV
Pastrnak: 6.666 mil AAV
Marchand: 6.125 mil AAV
Average: 6.555 AAV

meanwhile...:
Matthews: 11.634 mil AAV
Tavares: 11 mil AAV
Marner: 10? mil AAV (lets assume)
Nylnader: 6.962* mil AAV (Being kind, you could argue for 7.5)
Average: 9.899 AAV

If you want to have a culture like the Bruins, you cannot overpay your superstars....

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Include progression? Nylanders' "progression" has been going the wrong direction. Easily 1 mil overpaid.... probably more.

Interesting thought.

I'd also add:
Bergeron: 6.875 mil AAV
Pastrnak: 6.666 mil AAV
Marchand: 6.125 mil AAV
Average: 6.555 AAV

meanwhile...:
Matthews: 11.634 mil AAV
Tavares: 11 mil AAV
Marner: 10? mil AAV (lets assume)
Nylnader: 6.962* mil AAV (Being kind, you could argue for 7.5)
Average: 9.899 AAV

If you want to have a culture like the Bruins, you cannot overpay your superstars....

None of those Leafs AAVs are overpaying your stars, if they produce like they are capable.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
None of those Leafs AAVs are overpaying your stars, if they produce like they are capable.

tenor.gif

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I really don't think he was that bad this series, but I wonder if you trade him this summer before the fans get in his head. I don't see him winning anyone over

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I really don't think he was that bad this series, but I wonder if you trade him this summer before the fans get in his head. I don't see him winning anyone over

I know you aren't but it comes across as if the Leafs would trade a player because some fans have no patience.

There are many problems on the Leafs, but most will be cured by better coaching and maturity.

Unfortunately, not everyone, both fans and players, mature.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
A thought that just resurfaced to me is:

I wonder how Dubas feels about Nylander... Does he feel like he got jobbed? I mean, Dubas himself said he didn't want to set new market values on our players... but he was pretty well forced to for Nylander (leading to overpaying Matthews and presumably Marner will be too) or let him sit out the year.

Nylander did Dubas (and the Leafs) absolutely no favours, and he rewards us by playing poorly for most of the year.... I wonder if this put any tension in the Dubas-Nylander relationship.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
A thought that just resurfaced to me is:

I wonder how Dubas feels about Nylander... Does he feel like he got jobbed? I mean, Dubas himself said he didn't want to set new market values on our players... but he was pretty well forced to for Nylander (leading to overpaying Matthews and presumably Marner will be too) or let him sit out the year.

Nylander did Dubas (and the Leafs) absolutely no favours, and he rewards us by playing poorly for most of the year.... I wonder if this put any tension in the Dubas-Nylander relationship.

I doubt it, Nylander seems like a perfect Dubas player. Which is why we will probably never win anything,

Reactions: socko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad