Bill Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
come on, many posters here continue with the "he got a fair contract" narrative all the time, maybe not you, but there are plenty who do. Not admitting this is just another Team Nylander bias, sorry the facts are ruining your narrative.

I’ve seen no one claim it was a discount. Plenty say it’s fair of course they do at what he was producing before this season $7m is might close to fair if you include progression. As I said max $500k overpaid max

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
As much as I find Nylander an embarrassment, you dont trade him now - you'd be selling low on a player who will eventually start producing in the regular season again.

Sell high.

I totally agree for what it’s worth I essentially am saying a deal too good to refuse. I’d build him back up next season then make the trade decision, if he starts earning or exceeding his contract I wouldn’t trade him at all

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well I think that is it for Willy with Leafs. It will be sad for me but he got his chance and it was what it was - not good enough. Lets hope Dubie can get fair value for Willy with a solid defender and a good pick. But we have to wait a little for Shanny to give Dubie his marching orders. Shanny will take some time to think it all through at org level first before Dubie starts to execute.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander had a great opportunity to redeem his season with a strong playoffs after a dismal 7 goal 27 point regular season.

He even got a prime opportunity to play his preferred position of centre when Kadri got himself suspended for 5 games.

He never scored a goal and neither did his linemates in those games and his playoffs played out just like his regular season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nylander had a great opportunity to redeem his season with a strong playoffs after a dismal 7 goal 27 point regular season.

He even got a prime opportunity to play his preferred position of centre when Kadri got himself suspended for 5 games.

He never scored a goal and neither did his linemates in those games and his playoffs played out just like his regular season.

Nylander played great at center over the last 5 games and was able to create offense despite playing on the least offensive oriented line....

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If he was a 5-6m cap hit, I’d think the leafs would keep him. But for 7m he’s gotta go

His contract does not break this teams back, there are plenty of other ones that should get moved and will to make room for the big boys.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
i don't see a compete level that's going to make an impact through four rounds of playoffs. He's got great skill and he may have a better statistical season next year, but that compete level is really worrisome.

Agree it may not be the best time to move him, what his market value is, but I don't see how any coach can trust that compete level if they ever plan to win 2-3 rounds or more. That's a huge red flag.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It is not about being bad. It is about not being good enough to help out. And it is too much money in a CAP league for a guy who is paid to put the bisket in the basket.

Well look at his career stats. 2 of 3 seasons he "put the bisket in the basket" at a good rate. Looking at this past season is a bad sample to base decisions off of going forward.

If he is complete and utter **** this coming year (which I don't think will happen) then maybe you pull the trigger. But to make a move based off of 55 games would be a bad call on managements part and I believe they will see it that way as well.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
His contract does not break this teams back, there are plenty of other ones that should get moved and will to make room for the big boys.

Those people who need to be moved are:

1. Nylander
  2. Kadri
  3. Gardiner
  4. Marleau

And we need to find replacement for Connor brown.

Hoping one or both of the defensemen waiting to join the team can replace gardiner.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well look at his career stats. 2 of 3 seasons he "put the bisket in the basket" at a good rate. Looking at this past season is a bad sample to base decisions off of going forward.

If he is complete and utter **** this coming year (which I don't think will happen) then maybe you pull the trigger. But to make a move based off of 55 games would be a bad call on managements part and I believe they will see it that way as well.
I don't think Shanny looks at regular season at all. In fact he has told me more than a few times the regular season is just an opportunity to get to the dance. It is what happens in the dance that resonates with Shanny.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think Shanny looks at regular season at all. In fact he has told me more than a few times the regular season is just an opportunity to get to the dance. It is what happens in the dance that resonates with Shanny.

And Nylander played well over these past 7 games, other than 1 terrible play. Based off of that he should not get moved.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Nylander played great at center over the last 5 games and was able to create offense despite playing on the least offensive oriented line....
He did nothing but stay to the perimeter in a half assed “cycle” where the slightest bit of a pressure led to him coughing it up or just blindly throwing it to the corner where no one had penetration

On what planet was Nylander even par at wing or centre this series, let alone “great”

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
??

What made him stand out as being so utterly terrible to you??

You said he played great. Great is a huge reach. I'm afraid Nylander will always be the guy with skill that will throw some points up in the regular season when playing with better players, but will shrivel in the playoffs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I totally agree for what it’s worth I essentially am saying a deal too good to refuse. I’d build him back up next season then make the trade decision, if he starts earning or exceeding his contract I wouldn’t trade him at all

Play him on Matthew's wing. See what you have. Reassess and go from there.

Reactions: CelticDruid

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
And Nylander played well over these past 7 games, other than 1 terrible play. Based off of that he should not get moved.
Look I like the kid too. But just brace yourself for what is likely to happen. I don't get good vibes from one of Shanny's bros on Willy. From what I hear Shanny was even very nervous of drafting Michael's kid. and he has always been on his short list. This playoff is likely it.

Reactions: Faltorvo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->