News Article: Bill Meltzer: How the 2011 draft went down for the Flyers

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Bill M's piece was an interesting read on the account of how Paul Holmgren pulled off the Richards and Carter trades, and ended up with the 8th overall pick in the 2011 draft (among other pieces). I do have to say, though, that my enjoyment of the article was tainted – not by your writing, Bill! ;) – by the list of picks that Holmgren had dealt away, including their 1st (25th overall) for Chris Versteeg. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought a revisit of this draft would be fun, with absolute 20/20 hindsight, on how the Flyers could have put these picks to use.

Flyers traded away:

• 1st (25) for Chris Versteeg

– Toronto chose Stuart Percy (bust)

– Could have had:

- William Karlsson (53)

- John Gibson (39)

- Brandon Saad (43)

- Boone Jenner (37)

- Vlad Namestnikov (27)

- Philip Danault (26)

- Rikard Rakell (30)

• 2nd (56) for Carcillo

– Arizona chose Lucas Lessio (bust)

– Could have had:

- Nikita Kucherov (58)

- Vincent Trocheck (64)

• 3rd (84) for Bryzgalov – pick was from Pitt for Hamhuis rights

• 3rd (86) for Chris Versteeg

– Arizona chose Harrison Ruopp (bust)

– Toronto chose Josh Leivo (good pick)

– Could have had:

- Johnny Gaudreau (104) – Doh!!!

- Jean-Gabriel Pageau (96)

- Andrew Shaw (139)

- Nikita Nesterov (148)

- Josh Manson (160)

- Jyrki Jokipakka (195)

- Ryan Dzingel (204)

- Ondrej Palat (208) – 2 after the great Derek Mathers
For those of you who are just aching to point out that all of the teams messed up, notably everyone but Calgary for not scouting Gaudreau better or Columbus (except ... Vegas) for waiting until late in the second round to get Karlsson. But it's just another reminder about the potential value of even late-round picks. The Flyers punted their 7th rounder for a knuckle-dragger and two picks later Tampa nabs a winger with 253 points in 363 NHL games.

The counter-argument is that neither Toronto nor Arizona really took full advantage of the picks they received from Philadelphia, although Leivo in the 3rd was a decent pick.

Oh, crystal ball, why did you fail us so?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It pisses me off that Kucherov goes #58 overall after having 21 points in 7 games at the u18s, a record. Yakupov, only 3 months younger, has 13 points and goes #1 next year. Kucherov torched the MHL too. It's so self-defeatist I can't stand it. There are players who get drafted and over perform and surprise and while the signs are there, you can't criticize anyone either. Then there are players who get drafted and you look back and think......

Kim-Jong-il-Cant-Believe-How-Stupid-Everyone-Is-In-Team-America-World-Police.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You can drive yourself crazy trying to think about that kind of butterfly effect stuff.

Not just for hockey, obviously.

Too true. I am far from obsessing that the Flyers missed out on Gaudreau, for example. It was just a walk down Wasted Asset Lane that exited at the beautiful intersection of Ghost and Bear.

Reactions: Striiker

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah you can't look at the what could have been because we don't even know who they would have selected. We could have picked garbage like Kevin Marshall (best known for his dance moves on 24/7) two picks ahead of PK Subban.

Reactions: BernieParent

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It is interesting that the Flyers came pretty close to taking Voracek, the 15th OA and the 21st OA for the 2nd overall. I think its somewhat telling that the Flyers weren't over the moon with JVR.

Reactions: Rebels57

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It is interesting that the Flyers came pretty close to taking Voracek, the 15th OA and the 21st OA for the 2nd overall. I think its somewhat telling that the Flyers weren't over the moon with JVR.
Obviously not considering what they ended up trading him for

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Ahhh Kevin Marshall. I remember one of the Mods here claiming he would be a regular for the Flyers after his short injury call up stint. I said he would never play in the NHL again...

Reactions: kelmitchell

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That’s why I don’t even care at this point. :laugh:

Yeah, it worked out. At the time I was OK with Versteeg basically being our 1st round pick, he was young enough that it was a whatever. Even though I'm not a fan of that mindset. But then he was traded away again for a loss immediately, so it all seemed damned pointless. If Ghost didn't happen, it would've been extremely pointless.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Ahhh Kevin Marshall. I remember one of the Mods here claiming he would be a regular for the Flyers after his short injury call up stint. I said he would never play in the NHL again...

I mean...he was great until he got hurt if I remember correctly.

It honestly reminds me a lot of all the people here who swore Pat Maroon would never play an NHL game. I got a lot of grief for telling people that he had the hands of an NHLer even if he was slow.

Ah well.

All this hindsight stuff is a weird web. Remember the Eminger trade? That pick turned out to be Johnny Carlson...so yeah.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

It honestly reminds me a lot of all the people here who swore Pat Maroon would never play an NHL game. I got a lot of grief for telling people that he had the hands of an NHLer even if he was slow.

Ah well.

All this hindsight stuff is a weird web. Remember the Eminger trade? That pick turned out to be Johnny Carlson...so yeah.

Yeah, the Eminger trade sticks out for me more than anything that was in the OP.

With Maroon, I thought he might have been able to bring something. My big thing with him at the time, and with all prospects, is that he was never given a shot at the NHL with us so how are we supposed to know if the team doesn't even attempt to find out? Drove me crazy. Still relevant to me today as well with several prospects.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Well.....Marshall was never great. He only got that stint with the Flyers because we had so many injuries on the blueline. And when he did play, he barely played because it was obvious that he wasn't ready (then...or ever) for the NHL.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My rule is to look only at the ten picks after your pick, i.e. the guys you reasonably could have taken as alternatives - further out too many teams passed on the player for him to be a "no brainer."

When evaluating a trade for a draft pick, the player actually taken is irrelevant, unless in the case of Frost, the trade was made with a specific player as the target.
The pick's value is the expected value of the player at that point in the draft, the actual player is a crap shoot.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
But it says you joined HF on Feb 10 2018...
giphy.gif

Marshall blew. Bourdon was somewhat decent until his brain turned to mush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad