Bill Hicke Passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

Always hate to hear about anybody passing. Hopefully he is with the Good Lord enjoying his eternal rewards.

Is he Ernie Hicke's father?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Ogopogo said:
Always hate to hear about anybody passing. Hopefully he is with the Good Lord enjoying his eternal rewards.

Is he Ernie Hicke's father?

No, Ernie Hicke is his younger brother by about 8 or 9 years. I didn't notice him mentioned among the surviving relatives although I may have missed it and they often just mention immediate families.

Last I heard Ernie Hicke was in New Mexico or Phoenix or something but I don't know what he was doing there. Never met him, but he scored 20 a couple of times.

Ogopogo*

Lowetide said:
No, Ernie Hicke is his younger brother by about 8 or 9 years. I didn't notice him mentioned among the surviving relatives although I may have missed it and they often just mention immediate families.

Last I heard Ernie Hicke was in New Mexico or Phoenix or something but I don't know what he was doing there. Never met him, but he scored 20 a couple of times.

Ernie was a great WHLer in his day.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Ogopogo said:
Ernie was a great WHLer in his day.

Yeah, there were both terrific Jrs for the Pats. Billy played with Terry Harper I believe who was a very good Hab D for many years.

Ernie Hicke always makes me think about how history distorts things. This is my prelude to a long story so run now before I get started. :D

Anyway, May 1970. Oakland Seals are coming off a season in which they make the playoffs but are looking for goal scorers.

Montreal trades Dennis Hextall, Ernie Hicke and their first rd pick in June 1970 (who ends up being Chris Oddleifson) to Oakland for the Seals first rder in 1971 and a Dman named Francois Lacombe.

It was a very good trade. Hextall in the record books came over for cash but the deal was on the same day as the Hicke trade and they were in fact linked.

Now, the Seals were a playoff team in 69-70 and had a pretty nice off season so it's a surprise when the pick the following spring ends up being #1.

Even with that, Seals deal Oddleifson for Ivan Boldirev who ends up being a pretty good player for a long time.

Doesn't matter.

History says Pollock fleeced the Seals and got Lafleur for Ernie Hicke.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Billy Hicke was slotted to be a star, the next scoring rw for Mtl. He came in when the Rocket retired and Geoffrion was fading and I imagine that was a lot of pressure for him. It never really worked out for him with the CH. I can't say I remember watching him in Mtl. though I had his cards. I do remember him being traded to NY for Dick Duff who played well in Mtl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->