Bill Guerin's comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
I know this may be somewhat old but I found some of Guerin's comments rather interesting. I believe this is just from this past Friday.

When asked how "resolute" the players were on the issue of a cap:
It's unhealthy for players. We believe it's healthy for the league, and teams should be able to spend what they want within reason.
So basically, sounds like he's more interested in the present than the future. After the NHL folds, he'll have to take a job playing for the Riverdogs down here in Richmond, then his life will really start to come together. :lol And the "within reason" thing - that's called a salary cap. It really is a shame when the unions very own VP admits that it's good for the future of the sport but that's just not enough I guess.

When asked if the lockout "drags into next year":
If we go back now it'll be suicidal for players.
If I we're you Bill, I would wait until September, it'll get better then I'm sure.

Linky, if needed.

Crows*

I don't really understand what he means by

"If we go back now it'll be suicidal for players. "

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
I really would'nt mind if Bill Guerin committed suicide. While i'm on that thought, maybe Goodenow can follow suit, perhaps with Alfredsson, McCabe and Damphousse to follow.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i've always liked guerin as a player, but it's clear to me that he should just keep his mouth shut going forward. while robert esche still holds the lead for dumbest comments by a player (not accepting any cap, even if it's 200 million dollars), guerin inches closer each and every time he talks :shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Crows said:
I don't really understand what he means by

"If we go back now it'll be suicidal for players. "
I don't understand what he means by a lot of his comments.

"Within reason," that's a good one.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
BLONG7 said:
How about McCabe, he said we are ready to sit out our whole lives... :lol :shakehead

Given his perfomance in the playoffs last year, McCabe may be sitting his whole life regardless.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Oh yeah, did you catch what Billy boy said about how "horrible" the "football" salary cap was? Of course he never actually called it the NFL though. :teach:

Again, asking if the lockout were to "drag into next year":
What they feel is right is a football-type salary cap, and football is horrible. I don't personally believe it works for football because it's terrible for their players, and it would be worse for hockey.

Now I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but come one now, I think the general consensus is that the NFL has a pretty good thing going for them.

FlyersFan10*

You know what's funny? How people sit here and criticize what's going on and why the NHLPA are the bad guys in all of this. Seeing as to how we aren't privvy to any of the discussions, I'm quite amazed at the bashing of the NHLPA. Which side has it been whose tried to have open negotiations for all to witness? The NHLPA. Which side has been so secretive that it seems like it has something to hide? The owners. Which side is it that says definitively they have lost 273 million dollars and spend 75% of revenue on salaries, but says that a tax system would involve guessing on payrolls? The owners.

Maybe it's just me, but when one side is really really quiet and has said nothing about any of their offers other than the six salary cap plans and their plan for revenue sharing is nothing other than "significant", I'd be questioning as to why owners have mentioned NOTHING about their CBA plans. I'd also be questioning why they can calculate losses to a t and same with the percentage they spend on payroll, but why they can't figure out how come a payroll tax involves guess work when the tax is very specific? I'd also question any organization that would fine it's members $1 million should they speak out of turn. If anyone can say that's the best way to run a business is beyond me.

Fact of the matter is this. There are owners who would want a tax. While everyone has voted against the tax, I'm sure it was done for the same reason why the players unanimously rejected the owners last offer....to show Solidarity. I'm sure Mike Illitch isn't too pleased about being told his payroll can only be 31 to 38 million and that he's going to have to shed players to lesser teams. Same can be said for Ed Snider and I'm sure Lou Lamorello isn't too keen on that thought either.

Fact of the matter is that a luxury tax with teeth can work. And don't even compare baseball's revenue sharing because it has no teeth and don't even compare the NFL because their cap involves a full revenue sharing plan, something no owner in the NHL wants.

I'm pretty sure that if you were to add up ALL revenue each team makes and divide it amongst the 30 teams, you'd probably have something really decent and you could finally have that competitive balance that everyone claims the sport needs and everyone would make money and franchises would be somewhat stable. The fact is this though. The sport is still in a lot of trouble. I don't care what anyone says, watching a game now is absolutely boring. Since the advent of adding 9 new teams under Bettman's watch, the talent pool has diluted and now everyone employs some kind of neutral zone trap. That is a problem that needs to be addressed, but instead people just sit around with their thumb up their butts and couldn't give a crap. And that bothers me. The sport is great when it's played properly. Watch any major junior or NCAA college game and it's a wonderful game to watch. Watch any European league and it's also something else to watch. And the Olympics....magical. That's what hockey is all about. Not the joke we've been watching for the past few years.

So, instead of slagging on the players for looking out for their best interests (which is what CBA bargaining is about), how about focusing on what is wrong with the game first. That is what is most obvious to us. Seeing as to how we aren't in any of the board rooms during CBA sessions, we are only privvy to hearsay, speculation, and any other propoganda table scraps that are fed to us by the NHL and the NHLPA.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
bladoww said:
Oh yeah, did you catch what Billy boy said about how "horrible" the "football" salary cap was? Of course he never actually called it the NFL though.

The best part of the story behind that quote was how Troy Vincent a Pats player & the NFLPA VP was asked about that comment the day afterwards and said he didnt know what Saskin was talking about and how theyre planning to re-up with the NFL asap because the cap and the system was working so well for the players.

I laughed SOOO hard when I heard that clip.. the guy was like "who the @#$ is Saskin?" :lol

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Twine Seeking Missle said:
I really would'nt mind if Bill Guerin committed suicide. While i'm on that thought, maybe Goodenow can follow suit, perhaps with Alfredsson, McCabe and Damphousse to follow.

Post of the year so far.

:yo: :bow: :teach: :lol:

Go Flames Go*

ChiHawks468 said:
That's impossible. If they don't play next year, there won't be anything left to be locked out from.

:dunno:

CFL cap will come into play $2.55 Million per team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
FlyersFan10 said:
Maybe it's just me, but when one side is really really quiet and has said nothing about any of their offers other than the six salary cap plans and their plan for revenue sharing is nothing other than "significant", I'd be questioning as to why owners have mentioned NOTHING about their CBA plans. I'd also be questioning why they can calculate losses to a t and same with the percentage they spend on payroll, but why they can't figure out how come a payroll tax involves guess work when the tax is very specific? I'd also question any organization that would fine it's members $1 million should they speak out of turn. If anyone can say that's the best way to run a business is beyond me.

the reason the owners aren't saying anything is because they're letting the players lose the PR battles

what Bill Guerin said is moronic...saying football's cap system is horrible? c'mon Billy, I loved you when you were with the Oilers but saying the makes you look so stupid

face it, you are not gonna win, give up!!!!! people in the States don't care about this game and the revenue's havent been lower. Take the offer now cause if the PA doesn't the cap will be lower

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Given his perfomance in the playoffs last year, McCabe may be sitting his whole life regardless.
Not to mention being cut from his scab job in Europe...Brian is a legend in his own mind...must be reading the Toronto papers too often...

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
FlyersFan10 said:
I'd be questioning as to why owners have mentioned NOTHING about their CBA plans
Is this nothing? link
I personally have not seen anything remotely as thorough available from the NHLPA regarding their current proposals for a new CBA.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Bill Guerin wisdom: The problem for the salary cap in hockey is in other sports you can have a good defense, a good QB and two good receivers and have a chance. You can be 6-8 and have a chance to make the playoffs. In hockey you need 26 guys. You can' t have three players on a hockey team and have a chance, and that's what they want to do. They want to spread everybody out. It just doesn't work.
What in the world is he talking about? Someone please fill me in, I don't have a clue what this clown is talking about.

se7en*

FlyersFan10 said:
Which side has it been whose tried to have open negotiations for all to witness? The NHLPA.

Why is the PA seen as negotiating? They won't accept a cap. What right do they have to tell the NHL how to run it's business? If you're going to say the owners are not negotiating, then say the PA isn't trying too hard either.

As for Guerin, the guy is a joke. I hated that tool when he played for us, and I hate him even more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->