#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Probably not the player you think of when you think Minny firesale...but

Greg Pateryn for Marincin and 5th/6th

Small trade

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wild fans, what’s the opinion on Greenway so far in his young career? I know the offense looks limited...as a prospect I thought he was very unique with his ungodly reach, excellent team play and pretty solid skating for a big man. Figured the offense would be slow to evolve at the NHL level but that he was worth being patient on.

Thus far - still patiently optimistic or steadily lowering the expectations on his upside?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Wild fans, what’s the opinion on Greenway so far in his young career? I know the offense looks limited...as a prospect I thought he was very unique with his ungodly reach, excellent team play and pretty solid skating for a big man. Figured the offense would be slow to evolve at the NHL level but that he was worth being patient on.

Thus far - still patiently optimistic or steadily lowering the expectations on his upside?
He's probably the last forward on the team that I would want to see traded.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

He’s young, but I don’t think anyone ever saw him as a top line guy. Second line/middle six scorer, sure. Starting to lower my expectations. Don’t think he’ll ever be more than a third line physical player who can chip in once in a while. If he’s in your top 6 you’ve probably got to have overcompensation at your center spot for it to lead to team success. Like Crosby/Malkin or Tavares/Matthews

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just because a GM is willing to listen on everything doesnt mean hes going to trade everythibg at fair value.

If the Wild are indeed pondering a rebuild then they don't have much incentive to trade any assets 25 years old or younger barring a noticable overpay.

Wild fans in turn should adjust their expectations- other teams aren't going to trade you prime young roster players for your vets. Expect picks and prospects

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just because a GM is willing to listen on everything doesnt mean hes going to trade everythibg at fair value.

If the Wild are indeed pondering a rebuild then they don't have much incentive to trade any assets 25 years old or younger barring a noticable overpay.

Wild fans in turn should adjust their expectations- other teams aren't going to trade you prime young roster players for your vets. Expect picks and prospects
Realistically I expect Staal and/or Koivu gone at the deadline for picks. Probably 2nds, maybe a 1st for Koivu if he has a good year and a team is really hard up for a shut down center.

Once the season ends all bets are off on guys like Brodin and Zucker. It might come down to how the season plays out.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Realistically I expect Staal and/or Koivu gone at the deadline for picks. Probably 2nds, maybe a 1st for Koivu if he has a good year and a team is really hard up for a shut down center.

Once the season ends all bets are off on guys like Brodin and Zucker. It might come down to how the season plays out.

I'd absolutely expect a 1st for Koivu, with a probably add too like a prsopect

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wouldn't like it, and certainly wouldn't retain. Kapanen seems like a right-shot version of the young guys we already have.

It does fit though right?
The first thing in the quote is. They want right shots.

Boudreau said “I can’t make them faster”

Kappy is a right shot speedster

Who do you have in mind that would be available for the assets you have?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It does fit though right?
The first thing in the quote is. They want right shots.

Boudreau said “I can’t make them faster”

Kappy is a right shot speedster

Who do you have in mind that would be available for the assets you have?
The comment about right shots comes from Friedman who, with all due respect, seems to barely pay attention to the Wild. The Wild do lack right shots, but it's become a tertiary problem at this point. I think speed is a bigger problem, but still secondary. The primary problem is the veteran guys starting to tip off a cliff without the younger guys being ready/capable of picking up the extra load. Kapanen would probably struggle in the same ways that Fiala, Greenway, Donato and Kunin have.

There's also the fact that we just have too many wingers right now, which is a problem that'll get worse once Kaprizov comes over. A trade that nets another winger is just going to mean shipping out more over the summer.

If Brodin is traded it'll be because they don't intend to extend him after next year, and my guess is that it'll be for futures.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The comment about right shots comes from Friedman who, with all due respect, seems to barely pay attention to the Wild. The Wild do lack right shots, but it's become a tertiary problem at this point. I think speed is a bigger problem, but still secondary. The primary problem is the veteran guys starting to tip off a cliff without the younger guys being ready/capable of picking up the extra load. Kapanen would probably struggle in the same ways that Fiala, Greenway, Donato and Kunin have.

There's also the fact that we just have too many wingers right now, which is a problem that'll get worse once Kaprizov comes over. A trade that nets another winger is just going to mean shipping out more over the summer.

If Brodin is traded it'll be because they don't intend to extend him after next year, and my guess is that it'll be for futures.

Hmmmm you think they will give away for futures?

Honestly I think they need to. It’s the right move but from all the radio we have in Canada. The prevailing belief is that the wild didn’t want to go with a big rebuild.

Russo has been on multiple stations. I don’t remember if he said it himself. But the guys who interview him seem to unanimously agree that the idea of a rebuild doesn’t work for wild management.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

In my opinion his ceiling isn’t top 6, but he can play a unique roll once he gains a mean streak. He could very easliy develop into a player you win with as a 2-way third liner who puts the fear of god in the opposition. I’d move donato well before I move him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Honestly I think they need to. It’s the right move but from all the radio we have in Canada. The prevailing belief is that the wild didn’t want to go with a big rebuild.

Russo has been on multiple stations. I don’t remember if he said it himself. But the guys who interview him seem to unanimously agree that the idea of a rebuild doesn’t work for wild management.

Imo the problem with the term "rebuild" is that folks tend to conflate it with "scorched earth" when the Wild could probably keep a good number of their better players but weaken the roster just enough to tank for one season. They just need to add a couple more picks and ideally shed some salary. And then look to start to be better even the next season.

Ownership of course still may not want to give up the dreams.of the playoffs.this season though.

Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

People have specific ideas about the term "rebuild," and most of those ideas don't make any sense with the current lottery odds. They can't/won't rebuild by selling off the vets for picks, mostly because they all have NMC's. That doesn't mean that they won't be honest about a bad year where they're not going anywhere anyway and use it as a chance to stock up on prospects.

With Brodin specifically it's a question of whether or not they want to extend him past his current deal. They're already committed to Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon. If they see Belpedio or Mennell as a top-4 guy in the NHL, it would make a lot of sense to move on from Brodin this summer. A similarly aged center would be ideal as a return, but failing that I could see them just going with futures.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Khaira, 2020 2nd(becomes a 1st if he puts up 50 points), and S. Gagner(cap reasons) for E. Staal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad