Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
kenabnrmal said:
This makes absolutely zero sense to me. It'd be one thing if everyone was running wild with baseless optimism. But, this was the most respected hockey analysts claiming that a deal was imminent and all but signed. To have such a quick turnaround and such deep pessimism in the media now just reeks of something fishy. Daly and Saskin's comments to the media have never been trustworthy, and neither have the pessimistic reports from ANY media outlets. There has to be something more to it than them just "not being able to bridge the gap". It was supposedly done, and now they're farther than ever? I don't but it. If they weren't even close to something you don't call Gretzky, Lemieux in, you don't set up a meeting two days after cancelling the season, and you most definitely don't plan for a press conference. Something was up, something fell through, but I don't believe for a second that they're "as far apart as ever".

Good point!
if they were so "far" each other, they would never done this meeting.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
I'd love to hear Hradek & Pang's take on this.. they were the source of the most optimism

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If Bettman has 16 owners for $45 million who cares if Nashville or Florida don't want it.Nashville and Florida.They don't count.Ed Snider and Richard Peddie can not be happy right :shakehead

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
If Bettman has 16 owners for $45 million who cares if Nashville or Florida don't want it.Nashville and Florida.They don't count.Ed Snider and Richard Peddie can not be happy right :shakehead

Who's to say Bettman has 16 owners for $45M?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Smail said:
Who's to say Bettman has 16 owners for $45M?

If Gary really wanted a season he would only need 8 votes from owners that wanted the 45 cap.

Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Denver, NYR, NYI, Detroit

There's 8 teams that would jump all over a 45 million dollar cap. If Bettman really wanted to - he could take those 8 votes and we would have hockey this season.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
If Gary really wanted a season he would only need 8 votes from owners that wanted the 45 cap.

Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Denver, NYR, NYI, Detroit

There's 8 teams that would jump all over a 45 million dollar cap. If Bettman really wanted to - he could take those 8 votes and we would have hockey this season.

Montreal from what I know was against the $42.5M offer.

Also, I think that the 8 rule is to veto a proposition, not to approve one, which means that a deal would require 15 owners in favor of it.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
that's true.

losing a few teams as a result of the cap being too high is fine by me. it's no longer the players that are screwing things up, it's a handful of owners.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
You think Vancouver wants a 45 million cap? You're joking. And your facts are bogus too.

Bettman needs 8 owners to nix a deal he DOESN'T like. If he does like it, it takes a majority vote, 16 owners.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ronald Pagan said:
You think Vancouver wants a 45 million cap? You're joking. And your facts are bogus too.

Bettman needs 8 owners to nix a deal he DOESN'T like. If he does like it, it takes a majority vote, 16 owners.

The Canucks were set to make $25-30m this year and had a team salary of over $45m. I don't think $45m is a non-starter for Vancouver.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ronald Pagan said:

The Canucks would LOVE a cap number at that figure. It would allow them to fully keep their current roster. Nonis released a statement that the Canucks were willing to spend $48 million in the case of a season.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Jobu said:
What exactly do we have now?

Yeah, we have one now. But it'd be even bigger if he'd said something positive and something didn't get done in the next couple of days. Plus the league have been trying to cool this story since last night.

matys

Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
acr said:
If Florida and Nashville don't want to play hockey, and are too stupid to effectively run their businesses, they shouldn't be in the damn league! CONTRACT THEM NOW!

And what is "sources" that Florida and Nashville was "very vocal" against it? Whoever write anything and you trust him.

PredsFan77*

matys said:
And what is "sources" that Florida and Nashville was "very vocal" against it? Whoever write anything and you trust him.

This just in...Nashville is moving to Winnipeg. :speechles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad