Movies: Bill and Ted Face the Music

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Apparently, it's filming right now in Louisiana and the title is going to be Bill and Ted Face the Music, which seems like a perfect, clever title.

Upon learning that Keanu was filming up the street, a local resident put out a sign that said "You're breathtaking!" on her lawn, a reference to Keanu's viral moment from the E3 gaming convention last month. Keanu got out and did this:

How can you not like the guy?

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He's wearing the same shirt in the movie that he wore to sign the lady's lawn sign (in the post just above). Apparently, he just wore his set clothes back to the hotel :laugh:.

Speaking of clothes, it's funny to see a 50-year-old man wearing his shirt around his waist in 2020. I stopped doing that by the late-90s.

It's cool that William Sadler is returning as Death.

Overall, I'm not disappointed in the trailer. It looks and feels like Bill & Ted and the humor works for me. I'm excited for some nostalgia.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trailer was pretty cool , will bring back some memories.

Hopefully the music industry starts going retro also. Hate today’s music, everything is from an artist featuring so and so, written by someone totally different. Write your own damn music!! Need to get Rock back. Bill and Ted will not stand for this.

Reactions: coupe89 and Osprey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what happened to Keanu Reeves's voice, it seems like he was trying to make it too deep. The other guy looks and sounds the same though and agree that Sadler returning as Death was a must. I don't know if I will watch it or not, they were fine to watch back then but now not sure about it. Maybe if I'm bored and really high.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Instantly rented the first movie on amazon after watching the trailer. I bet they are going to get a lot of rentals from old asses like me that couldn't remember anything from watching it way back when.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Eh I don't mean to be so skeptical but it just seems like a cash grab to me. There is a 99% chance the daughters end up writing the song that saves the world and they retcon or state "it was obvious the entire time." The movie is going to take lots of shots at middle-aged men and "old" music (with instruments not just rock I mean).

It's cool they got Ted's Dad and Missy back, hopefully for more than a cameo, and I'm kind of curious how and what Kid Cudi will do. He's a cool artist but for hip hop standards he's "old" in that he peaked the end of the 2000s/early 2010s when mainstream music and especially mainstream hip hop was still creative and wasn't just a super model drowned in autotune and a generic beat.

Not having Carlin is going to be tough even though there is a tribute. He was a lot of the soul of the film.

Louis CK was born to play the role of Rufus's son, but Hollywood won't touch him.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Trailer was pretty cool , will bring back some memories.

Hopefully the music industry starts going retro also. Hate today’s music, everything is from an artist featuring so and so, written by someone totally different. Write your own damn music!! Need to get Rock back. Bill and Ted will not stand for this.

There's still plenty of great and interesting music but it's all on smaller labels and getting to people differently. Mainstream top 40 music like I mentioned above is terrible. It's a super model playing singer drowned in autotune over a crappy beat made by one of five people.

When I was a kid there was this hype/anticipation and cycle of an artist releasing an album, making a music video, going on tour, and when they were in your town going to the local radio station to talk about the album and music in general. It was almost like you had an entire weekend based around them. I miss that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's still plenty of great and interesting music but it's all on smaller labels and getting to people differently. Mainstream top 40 music like I mentioned above is terrible. It's a super model playing singer drowned in autotune over a crappy beat made by one of five people.

When I was a kid there was this hype/anticipation and cycle of an artist releasing an album, making a music video, going on tour, and when they were in your town going to the local radio station to talk about the album and music in general. It was almost like you had an entire weekend based around them. I miss that.

Oh yeah I know. A lot of artist I listen to have not changed their sound and aren’t popular anymore and that’s fine. One band in the 90’s which I loved and thought were underrated was Collective Soul. They still tour and release music and their sound is pretty much the same. But love the classics most of all like Led Zep, Van Halen, u2, and Aerosmith. At least movies are still paying tribute to the classics, even the cheesy 80’s songs, which I still take over today’s popular music.

Reactions: SniperHF

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was exactly what I thought it was. Keanu Reeves felt like he was playing an SNL spoof of Ted the entire movie. Something was just off about his performance, maybe it was his voice being too deep.

I liked the daughters arc/journey more.

Interesting choice naming Rufus's daughter Kelly as that is actually George Carlin's daughter's name (and she cameod in the film).

I give it about a 5.5/10. Not necessary in any way and doesn't add much to the universe.

Best performances were by Ted's Dad, Grim Reaper, and the Louis Armstrong actor. Cudi was good but limited in kind of a Scotty from Star Trek role.

Keep an eye on Brigette Lundy-Paine who played Bill's daughter. Superstar potential.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's funny that you gave it a 5.5/10 because I've been torn over whether to give it a 5 or a 6. I ended up going with a 6 because it was nice to see the characters again and get a very "Bill & Ted"-like story, even though I was a little disappointed, which is probably partly my fault because I got my hopes up. Anyways, here's the review that I just posted in the review thread:
Osprey said:
Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020) - 6/10 (Liked it)

After 25 years of failing to write the song that will save the world, Bill and Ted travel to a future in which they've already written it in order to steal it from themselves. Maybe because I thought that that premise had such potential, I got my expectations up too high. While not without charm, this wasn't quite the triumphant return that I was hoping for. Bill and Ted are as we remember them--as slackers who are still dumb and constantly speak in an 80s surfer dude style--which some may like, but felt a bit unbelievable and forced to me. I think that it might've been better if they had been written as a little more grown up and "normal," so that we might relate to them a little better and better appreciate the moments when their younger personas come to the surface. In addition, their daughters act a lot like them and use the same outdated expressions. I'm not sure what felt more out of place: 50-year-olds using words like "righteous" in 2020 or 20-year-olds using them.

That said, I suppose that there's something to be said for some things never changing. Even though it's been 29 years since the last movie, it doesn't feel like that much has passed when you watch it. Bill and Ted are recognizable, they still go on an adventure through various time periods and even to Hell, where they enlist the help of their old friend Death (played by the returning William Sadler). Unfortunately, the writing isn't very good, so the situations and jokes aren't nearly as funny as in the previous movies and the plot is too busy and rushed. Still, I could sense and respect how hard the writers were trying to replicate the feeling of the first two movies. Reeves and Winter were also game for it and put everything into making fools of themselves again, which is admirable. For those reasons and for the overall nostalgia, I went with the score that I did. I can't say that it's a good movie, but I liked the nostalgia and the effort put into it. It could've been quite a bit better, but I'm still glad that it got made.

FYI, there's a scene at the very end of the credits. If you missed it...
The old, retirement home versions of Bill and Ted ask if the other is dead yet and then get up and jam on their guitars together until they get tired and need to sit down.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This was genial, goofy, big-hearted fun. Clever enough. Folks are clearly had a good time making it. Hits the right notes (har har har) and miraculously doesn't overstay its welcome at a nice, tidy 90 minutes. A perfectly fitting addition to a series that really had no business adding another chapter.

Dennis Caleb McCoy got me to laugh the most.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That was silly and fun. Not the funniest comedy ever but I was giggling throughout the movie 7½/10. The daughters stole the show. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie with just the two of them. Biggest laugh(not really a spoiler): when old Bill whispered into younger Bill's ear "Del Toro, Guillermo."

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Just saw it finally, first movie I’ve seen in the theaters since Birds of Prey right before the world shut down. I loved it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad