Biggest trade ever?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
is the Jason Robertson trade ever in terms of actual pieces? 13 pieces traded for 2 = 15 total pieces

Maybe in terms of quantity, but I don't think Kingston got enough. Robertson alone should've got an '02 rookie 1st rounder. And add in an NHL-drafted D-man, AND you trade him in November instead of January and you still don't get a rookie '02 first? Ouch

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Said this before, this years crop of 02's is very good so I don't see too many teams willing to move their 02 pick. This was probably sought after by Kingston and once they realized they wern't getting an 02 they completed the deal now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Maybe in terms of quantity, but I don't think Kingston got enough. Robertson alone should've got an '02 rookie 1st rounder. And add in an NHL-drafted D-man, AND you trade him in November instead of January and you still don't get a rookie '02 first? Ouch

I think Constantinou is a very valuable piece. In my breakdown in the Ottawa 67's thread I said Niagara paid about one 2nd too much if you transfer it into straight draft pick value based on recent trades etc.

Robertson = four 2nds and three 3rds plus a could random mid to late picks (based on most stud 19 year old high scoring forward trades)
Paquette = two 2nds and three 3rds (based on most 19 year old rentals with a possibility of an OA season)

Martin - 3rd and 5th (marginal depth player that may develop into something but maybe not)
Constaninou - two 2nds, one 3rd and a mid pick (top 4 D-Man at 17 and will project as a top 2 D-Man at 18)

So when everything shakes down, it looks to me like Niagara paid about one 2nd too much overall. The player equity given to Kingston overshoots the value IMO.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
is the Jason Robertson trade ever in terms of actual pieces? 13 pieces traded for 2 = 15 total pieces

May be a result of the new rules regarding the restrictions of trading picks no more than 6 years down the road. Instead of that extra 2nd rounder 7 years down the road, a couple extra 3rds had to be included.

Or maybe in lieu of a couple additional distant 2nds not being able to be included, one or both of the players had to be included. You know, having to be uprooted, taken out of school etc etc etc. Sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for.

How long until the screaming and bawling about how, despite the new rule, we hear, "A ten year old just got traded from Niagara to Kingston! This insanity has to stop!"

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
If a team wants to trade a draft pick ten years out and both teams agree there should be no limitations. That pick will more than likely be traded multiple times before than

The whole “you traded a ten year old” is ludicrous. It’s asset management

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If a team wants to trade a draft pick ten years out and both teams agree there should be no limitations. That pick will more than likely be traded multiple times before than

The whole “you traded a ten year old” is ludicrous. It’s asset management

I wholeheartedly agree. Bringing in this rule was short sighted. Now instead of a second rounder seven year out changing hands, we'll see two 3rds or a body moved.

If a star player is on the block, and a bidding war ensues, this rule will not prevent the price from going down. Instead of distant picks, there will be more picks not so distant or a player or two. Whatever it takes to get the deal done. So what has this new rule accomplished. Not much.

And here we have Ranger play by play guy Mike Farwell last night talking about how great that new rule is but that more has to be done in light of the Nia/King trade. He's been calling for a rule limiting the trading of distant picks for years now and now that rule is passed. Now he wants the amount of picks that you are allowed to trade limited.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Cory Emmerton was traded to Brampton by Kingston for two players and five draft picks in 2007-2008. Huge price also back in those days. I believe he ended up with mono. It took the edge off the deal some what if my old memory is correct.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Cory Emmerton was traded to Brampton by Kingston for two players and five draft picks in 2007-2008. Huge price also back in those days. I believe he ended up with mono. It took the edge off the deal some what if my old memory is correct.

I believe this may have been the first trade to include so many high picks for a high end asset. I believe there were three or four second rounders involved. It was an eye opener at the time.

When asked how he could pay such a high price for one player, Stan Butler said the price isn't that high when you have so many assets in your cupboard.

And so started the process of building of assets by many teams in order to give them the ability to make these types of trades.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I believe this may have been the first trade to include so many high picks for a high end asset. I believe there were three or four second rounders involved. It was an eye opener at the time.

When asked how he could pay such a high price for one player, Stan Butler said the price isn't that high when you have so many assets in your cupboard.

And so started the process of building of assets by many teams in order to give them the ability to make these types of trades.
Kingston received Battalion forward Justin Levac and the OHL rights to right winger Thomas Middup. In addition, the Frontenacs got second- and third-round picks in 2008, second- and fifth-round selections in 2009 and a sixth-round pick in 2010.
The 2008 third-round selection was orginally Kingston’s and was acquired by the Battalion for overage right winger Matt Auffrey last Dec. 31.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
I wholeheartedly agree. Bringing in this rule was short sighted. Now instead of a second rounder seven year out changing hands, we'll see two 3rds or a body moved.

If a star player is on the block, and a bidding war ensues, this rule will not prevent the price from going down. Instead of distant picks, there will be more picks not so distant or a player or two. Whatever it takes to get the deal done. So what has this new rule accomplished. Not much.

And here we have Ranger play by play guy Mike Farwell last night talking about how great that new rule is but that more has to be done in light of the Nia/King trade. He's been calling for a rule limiting the trading of distant picks for years now and now that rule is passed. Now he wants the amount of picks that you are allowed to trade limited.

No offence but FArwell does little more than whine

I see posts on here about realignment., if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I think Constantinou is a very valuable piece. In my breakdown in the Ottawa 67's thread I said Niagara paid about one 2nd too much if you transfer it into straight draft pick value based on recent trades etc.

Robertson = four 2nds and three 3rds plus a could random mid to late picks (based on most stud 19 year old high scoring forward trades)
Paquette = two 2nds and three 3rds (based on most 19 year old rentals with a possibility of an OA season)

Martin - 3rd and 5th (marginal depth player that may develop into something but maybe not)
Constaninou - two 2nds, one 3rd and a mid pick (top 4 D-Man at 17 and will project as a top 2 D-Man at 18)

So when everything shakes down, it looks to me like Niagara paid about one 2nd too much overall. The player equity given to Kingston overshoots the value IMO.
As a Dogs season ticket holder, I am excited about the trade. We are sorry to see Billy and Ian leave town and hope they continue their development in Kingston. I think that in order to compete for an OHL title there are still trades to be made. Colton Incze may be traded shortly and perhaps one of or both of DeSimone and Uberti but since we have made the decision to go for it, this trade was just the first step.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
As a Dogs season ticket holder, I am excited about the trade. We are sorry to see Billy and Ian leave town and hope they continue their development in Kingston. I think that in order to compete for an OHL title there are still trades to be made. Colton Incze may be traded shortly and perhaps one of or both of DeSimone and Uberti but since we have made the decision to go for it, this trade was just the first step.

Can't trade DeSimone or Uberti this year. Only Moore could be traded as the first rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->