Biggest threat to Canada In Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
cyclops said:
The Czechs are pretty helter skelter,for as good as they are.............they could end up in fifth place if they don't have their head screwed on straight(hardly a given with them)

Head screwed on straight? Some are headcases in the NHL, but Czechs always turn it up a notch when playing for their country. Guys like Rucinsky, Reichel, Slegr, Jagr, Spacek, etc, etc, have always been money with the national team.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
cyclops said:
Absolutely untrue,we did'nt get outplayed by The Czechs in 2002 and really did'nt in 98 either.And we outplayed the Czechs at the world's the year before last.

The Czechs better not get too confident,we're ready to take them out at Torino(they'll be older too) we'll be ready and won't have a second team defense at Torino like at the world cup unless injuries again play a part.we're ready to put the hurt on those guys.................that is,if they don't get knocked out before they meet us.The Czechs are pretty helter skelter,for as good as they are.............they could end up in fifth place if they don't have their head screwed on straight(hardly a given with them)

I think your head is a little unscrewed, my friend:)

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
My rankings would be:
1. Czechs - The overall team skill level, from #7 dman to #1 center is insane, only thing that compares is Russia, and unlike them the Czechs actually play very well as a team.
2. Canada - Nothing wrong with this team, but they are not that dominating in any aspect of the game (Brodeaur hasn't really been that special in international play.) Still, a safe bet to reach finals and a very strong Gold candidate.
3. Finland - Least likely team to self-destruct, problems with scoring. Overall solid team, could finish lower if other teams play to their potential, and conversely higher if they don't.
4. USA - Much like Finland, we know what they are capable of and they are a steady performer. However, there is a generation change going on and I'd be much more optimistic about the team in 2010.
5. Sweden - The older guys have not really impressed in recent tournaments, like USA in the midst of generation change.
6. Russia - If they show up, they are a Gold candidate. Chances are they won't.
7. Slovakia - Dangerous team, but little depth on defence and suspect goaltending.

Bottom line: This a short tournament with one-off games. Any of the above seven can win the Gold.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
polarslam said:
What kind of team is Italy icing? Is it full of Canadians with dubious connections to Italy like how Greece filled most of their team sports at Athens? Or is full of actual Italians?

Could Dino Cicerelli strap em up for them?

Team italy will be made of a lot of more italians than teams you used to see.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
teme said:
My rankings would be:
2. Canada - Nothing wrong with this team, but they are not that dominating in any aspect of the game (Brodeaur hasn't really been that special in international play.) Still, a safe bet to reach finals and a very strong Gold candidate.

Bottom line: This a short tournament with one-off games. Any of the above seven can win the Gold.

1.4 goals against and a 9-0-1 record not that special? :confused:

espo*

Rogalo said:
I think your head is a little unscrewed, my friend:)
Really,care to elaborate? Because those games i watched that i mentioned the Czechs did'nt outplay us......................unless you guys get a different feed then we get over here.Which i'm sure you do..................the Czech fan in a barroom feed i'll call it.I'm sure that feed(chirping from fans) told you that the Czechs devastated us in those games.Of all the teams i want a peice of in Italy you guys are at the top.Cheers until then :) Wish it could start tommorow.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
teme said:
My rankings would be:
1. Czechs - The overall team skill level, from #7 dman to #1 center is insane, only thing that compares is Russia, and unlike them the Czechs actually play very well as a team.
3. Finland - Least likely team to self-destruct, problems with scoring. Overall solid team, could finish lower if other teams play to their potential, and conversely higher if they don't.
4. USA - Much like Finland, we know what they are capable of and they are a steady performer. However, there is a generation change going on and I'd be much more optimistic about the team in 2010.
5. Sweden - The older guys have not really impressed in recent tournaments, like USA in the midst of generation change.
6. Russia - If they show up, they are a Gold candidate. Chances are they won't.
7. Slovakia - Dangerous team, but little depth on defence and suspect goaltending.

I'll admit as a Canadian the team that has the most mystique is the Czechs. They do put a bit of fear into you. They play well as a team like no one else. And may not have the stars that Canada has but always are in every game they play because of their system. What scares me is the possibility of Hasek being back in net. And if Jagr returns to his '98 form we may have one hell of a game. Thankfully we'll find out sooner since we play each other in the round robin. But a gold medal game between those two would be special. I'll still take Canada though.

joe_shannon_1983*

teme said:

Not that dominating in any aspect of the game?

- How about defense (Pronger, Niedermayer, Blake, Foote, Redden, Jovanovski)?

That right there is 6 of the top 8 defenseman in the world, all stacked onto one team. Other countries barely bring 1 top 15 defenseman to the table (they barely even bring 1 top 20 defenseman to the table), yet Canada brings 7 of the top 12 How is that not dominating?

- How about forward (Iginla, Sakic, Lemieux, Thornton, Bertuzzi, Richards, Heatley)?

That right there is 7 of the top 12 forwards in the world, all stacked onto one team. Other countries barely bring 1 top 15 forward to the table, yet Canada brings 7 of the top 12. How is that not dominating?

- How about goaltender (Brodeur, Luongo)?

That right there is 2 of the top 3 goaltenders in the world, all stacked onto one team. Other countries barely bring 1 top 10 goaltender to the table (although Russia and Czech Republic bring some definite goaltending talent), yet Canada brings 2 of the top 3. How is that not dominating?

I must say that I disagree with your claim that Canada is "not that dominating in any aspect of the game". It is in my opinion that they are much more dominant than any other country at just about every aspect of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
ferns8916 said:

That right there is 6 of the top 8 defenseman in the world, all stacked onto one team. Other countries barely bring 1 top 15 defenseman to the table (they barely even bring 1 top 20 defenseman to the table), yet Canada brings 7 of the top 12 How is that not dominating?

- How about forward (Iginla, Sakic, Lemieux, Thornton, Bertuzzi, Richards, Heatley)?

That right there is 7 of the top 12 forwards in the world, all stacked onto one team. Other countries barely bring 1 top 15 forward to the table, yet Canada brings 7 of the top 12. How is that not dominating?

That right there is 2 of the top 3 goaltenders in the world, all stacked onto one team. Other countries barely bring 1 top 10 goaltender to the table (although Russia and Czech Republic bring some definite goaltending talent), yet Canada brings 2 of the top 3. How is that not dominating?

I must say that I disagree with your claim that Canada is "not that dominating in any aspect of the game". It is in my opinion that they are much more dominant than any other country at just about every aspect of the game.

Keep in mind that this tournament is played on the big ice. Not all players that are dominant in the NHL will be as dominant on the big ice.

I also disagree with your ideas about nearly total Canadian domination at every position: Canada does have the best depth but they're not that much better.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
cyclops said:
Really,care to elaborate? Because those games i watched that i mentioned the Czechs did'nt outplay us......................unless you guys get a different feed then we get over here.Which i'm sure you do..................the Czech fan in a barroom feed i'll call it.I'm sure that feed(chirping from fans) told you that the Czechs devastated us in those games.Of all the teams i want a peice of in Italy you guys are at the top.Cheers until then :) Wish it could start tommorow.

Yeah, we watch totally different games here behind the iron curtain, in which the Canadians always dominate the game and play fair and hard. Like Ryan Smyth in the WCH for example :biglaugh:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
ferns8916 said:

This is a big ice game were talking about, and Niedermayer is the only one of the above that has performed at a level I would call dominating in this type of game. Blake and Foote in particular have done nothing, that is they played OK but were nothing special in previous similar tournaments. Only thing about Pronger in international game I even remember was the incident with Selänne in Salt Lake City. NHL merits don't count, because it is a different game and the overall talent level of players is better. Stars become regulars, super-stars stars and so on. That's the beauty of it.

ferns8916 said:

Look, it is a formidable group. Sakic is arguably one the best internationl players. Then again, I can't think of single power forward in recent international tournaments that would've been a clear all-star (Forsberg doesn't count.) So I wouldn't expect that much from Bertuzzi and Iginla. The problem with Richards and Heatley is that they are not that fast, something that is more important in big ice than NHL, I'd expect St. Louis to do better than either of those.

And 7 out of 12? Forsberg, Sundin, Jagr, Elias, Palffy to name five others off the top of my head that should in be any top 12 based on play in tournaments like this. Which I take to mean that none of the Russians or USA players would not make it. Heck, excluding Sakic, four Czechs scored more goals than any of the players you mentioned in the last World Cup and one of them was a dman (Zidlisky).

ferns8916 said:

That right there is 2 of the top 3 goaltenders in the world, all stacked onto one team.
How about Kiprusoff and Lehtonen? Or Vokoun who outplayed both and shut down Canada in last springs WC, in tandem with Hasek who is the only goalie who actually has dominated an international tournament in recent memory (Nagano '98)? And that Khabibulin guy is pretty good too...

Look, I don't want to dish the team, I think they are great, but to say they are way better than everyone else just isn't true.

espo*

teme said:
This is a big ice game were talking about, and Niedermayer is the only one of the above that has performed at a level I would call dominating in this type of game. Blake and Foote in particular have done nothing, that is they played OK but were nothing special in previous similar tournaments. Only thing about Pronger in international game I even remember was the incident with Selänne in Salt Lake City. NHL merits don't count, because it is a different game and the overall talent level of players is better. Stars become regulars, super-stars stars and so on. That's the beauty of it.

Look, it is a formidable group. Sakic is arguably one the best internationl players. Then again, I can't think of single power forward in recent international tournaments that would've been a clear all-star (Forsberg doesn't count.) So I wouldn't expect that much from Bertuzzi and Iginla. The problem with Richards and Heatley is that they are not that fast, something that is more important in big ice than NHL, I'd expect St. Louis to do better than either of those.

And 7 out of 12? Forsberg, Sundin, Jagr, Elias, Palffy to name five others off the top of my head that should in be any top 12 based on play in tournaments like this. Which I take to mean that none of the Russians or USA players would not make it. Heck, excluding Sakic, four Czechs scored more goals than any of the players you mentioned in the last World Cup and one of them was a dman (Zidlisky).

How about Kiprusoff and Lehtonen? Or Vokoun who outplayed both and shut down Canada in last springs WC, in tandem with Hasek who is the only goalie who actually has dominated an international tournament in recent memory (Nagano '98)? And that Khabibulin guy is pretty good too...

Look, I don't want to dish the team, I think they are great, but to say they are way better than everyone else just isn't true.
Brodeur dominated the last world cup no question.Does the world cup not count?

espo*

Rogalo said:
Yeah, we watch totally different games here behind the iron curtain, in which the Canadians always dominate the game and play fair and hard. Like Ryan Smyth in the WCH for example :biglaugh:
It seems you do.Now you're being honest anyway.

when you seemed to back the guy up that said the Czechs have outplayed Canada in every game since God knows when i had no choice but to question what games they show over there.You can understand that right?

Regardless,you guys are coming soon.We'll be there for you.No need in hashing historical games now...............it won't matter in Torino will it?

As for Smyth, no biggie,i'll take my players doing that over diving all over the ice anyday.How you guys live with that is beyond us here.

Can't wait :) not long now....................don't get knocked out before we meet you in the medal rounds.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
cyclops said:
As for Smyth, no biggie,i'll take my players doing that over diving all over the ice anyday.How you guys live with that is beyond us here.

1. You would like players slashing each other like mad men? :dunno:

2. I didnt know guys like Paul Kariya were Europeans? :dunno:

espo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
1. You would like players slashing each other like mad men? :dunno:

2. I didnt know guys like Paul Kariya were Europeans? :dunno:
I'd prefer them slashing like old men the having to play against a team that resembles 20 Mike Ribeiro's......................which is normally what teams have to put up with against you guys. I come to watch teams play a straight game not watch you guys make out like rainbow trouts tossed into the boat after catching them.And everyone knows you do it,don't kid yourself.So..........Ryan Smyth can whack your defensemens ankle all day for all i care.Clean up your game and i'll consider thinking less of the guy.Until then..............not gonna happen.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
ferns8916 said:

Sweden have Lidström, Norström and Öhlund that definately match those. Kim Johnsson and Nik Kronwall are close (you'll see when he returnes).

Sweden have Forsberg, Näslund, Alfredsson and the best player in INTERNATIONAL icehockey Mats Sundin. They are all top 12. Jagr and Kovalchuk are better than at least Richards. Hossa, Ovechin and Palffy can be discussed...

Well, thats is not Swedens best position...by far. But Lundqvist is already good enough to carry a team. He has the advantage to be adjusted to bigger rinks. Canada has not, although your goalies are probably the best and deepest. But if Khabby and Nabby have good seasons they could be 2 of the 3 best. The same goes for Hasek and Vokoun.

Canada has the best team and the best depth. They should win it. But I think you overrate some of your players, definately since the tournament is played on big rinks.

espo*

Zine said:
Head screwed on straight? Some are headcases in the NHL, but Czechs always turn it up a notch when playing for their country. Guys like Rucinsky, Reichel, Slegr, Jagr, Spacek, etc, etc, have always been money with the national team.
Sometimes.Then again i've known them to implode a lot also.It all depends with them.Even at the last world cup they were getting spanked early until finally deciding to bring their "a" game when it moved them.You never know with them really.Like i said....................they could finish in fifth place too.People are talking about them like they are a shoo-in for gold or silver but i'd be wary putting money down on them.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
ferns8916 said:

:amazed:

It’s early in the season, but this one already deserves a strong nomination for homer-post of the year.

espo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
World Cup = NHL sized ice.
So what? it was an international tournament was'nt it? I think i recall seeing teams like Sweden,finland,etc playing there...............not the buffalo sabres and ottawa senators.

holy **** the arrogance.............................it it isn't in europe,the Euro posters don't consider it an international tournament.And you wonder why i don't like European hockey?

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
ferns8916 said:

You forgot the :sarcasm:

:shakehead

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
cyclops said:
it it isn't in europe,the Euro posters don't consider it an international tournament.
Are Nagano and Salt Lake City in Europe, genius ?

cyclops said:
And you wonder why i don't like European hockey?
No.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
cyclops said:
So what? it was an international tournament was'nt it? I think i recall seeing teams like Sweden,finland,etc playing there...............not the buffalo sabres and ottawa senators.

holy **** the arrogance.............................it it isn't in europe,the Euro posters don't consider it an international tournament.And you wonder why i don't like European hockey?
I commented on the fact that some guys on bigger rinks arent as effective as on NHL-sized rinks and thats what one poster here talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad