Biggest surprises of the WJC tourney so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
teme said:
Kalteva (Colorado) hasn't dazzled like Filppula and Lepistö, which in his case is a good thing. Just steady, hard defensively play and he is decent with the puck too. Plays in first pairing with Lepistö. Somebody compared to him Aki Berg, in a good way, which isn't that far off.

I don't know about that comparison...I think Berg was a lot better skater at Kalteva's age. Other than that their playing styles are indeed very close, but skating is a major issue playing wise IMO.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
nice call on lepisto- named tourney's top Dman. wonder what the deal is with this guy as far as the draft is concerned :dunno:

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Crosby

RallyKiller said:
which guys have been the biggest surprises of the WJC tournament?good or bad is accepted.

one guy for me is Tim Brent he's had a really good tournament so far he plays balls to the wall and his offense is better then I thought.

Brady Murray of the U.S team has also surprised me thus far he was a 4th or 5th rd pick and IMO has been one of the U.S teams top players.

One guy thats disappointed me has been Crosby he's had alot of hype and IMO hasn't perfomed to the level of hype he has been given thus far.

Give the KID a break, he's 16 years old, these guys are men, he's still a boy. Wait until he is 18-19, he will dominate.

chicpea*

Well, I guess the biggest surprise for me would have to be that Mark Stuart didn't get 5 and a game for that brave elbow he offered to Tim Brent's face today. wow. And that was the same ref who booted Phaneuf!? What. The. F***? Anyway, it was a classy move by a classy guy who, unbelievably, was their captain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Filppula was pretty impressive. Even made the all-star team at forward. Too bad Bergenheim couldn't finish off the chances Filppula gave him. And also like most Finns, isn't afraid of the physical game. Also the Burns, Getzlaf and Carter line was dominating.

Hudler was the opposite. Very dissapointed in his performance.

As for Crosby,I think people were expecting too much from him. Wait till next year. As for another poster saying at 18-19 he'll dominate, I don't know if he will play in the World Juniors after next year. There's a real good chance he will play as an 18 year old in the NHL.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not...

Russia. I identified before the tournament early, a loss/lack of big time D -men.

Finland's continued micro-success.

TSN color men proving Beavis & Butthead really do live.

But, suprise to:

Hudler stunk- say no more.

Ovechkin slightly above average, generally.

Czech Republic passiveness.

Canada's dominance against Euro teams (except Finland)

M.A. Fleury's yips.

Jeff Tambellini's Houdini act (now you see me now you don't)

Derek Meech...dominant

Nigel Dawes...elusive, relevant in years to come

Team USA...a little less than I expected, but gained slightly more than I expected due to un-Canadian like non-aggression pact.

The complete disappearance of the Russian posters to this board once Russia did not make the medal round. Come on guys - be hockey fans , not patriots. I extend my hat to you; you do not have to eat it (as Canada did not get gold) but I insist you nibble or sample it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad