Biggest steals of '02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

Since there is the '03 and '04 threads on steals, why not make one about 2002?

Lombardi picked in the third round.

Toivonen was picked 29th, 4 spots behind Cam Ward.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
From the panthers, Greg Campbell in the 3rd round was a good choice. He prolly should've gone early second.

Jeremy Swanson in the 6th round was a great pick as he should've probably been a 3rd or late 2nd rounder.

There was also a couple of European prospects taken who have been good in their respective leagues. They were picked late and can't really be considered steals yet, but they may soon. Topi Jaakola and Mikael Vuorio.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
No steals for the Kings in this draft.

I actually think that Lombardi picked in the 7th round #215 overall in 2000 by the Oilers was more impressive.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
PanthersRule said:
Biggest steal was Lombardi though.

He re-entered the draft, so for him to be 2-3 years ahead of everyone is no suprise. It's the same reason you can't put Stoll in there either (who also had a great season).

I think the biggest steals were the 4 goalies... Ward, Toivenen, Harding and Deslauriers... all 4 are blue chip goalie prospects, and I guarantee each team is pretty happy they got the guy they got.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Martin Vager.........oh wait :banghead:

Alexei Shkotov
Matthew Lombardi
Jarkko Immonen(TOR pick)
Trevor Daley- Gotta get a homer pick in there ;)

leafaholix*

Alexander Steen could be considered a steal in the first round when you consider he's developed into a top 10 or so prospect from that draft.

Matthew Stajan was a steal, the Leafs had him as a 1st rounder.

Jarkko Immonen (Leafs) was a steal in the later stages of the draft.

Others...

David LeNeveu
Derek Meech
Max Talbot
Darren Reid

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You guys are all copping out taking the easy ones and pimping your own prospects..... :D

These guys may surprise...

Matt Foy
Jeff Pietrasiak
Dwight Helminen
Sean Collins

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Ilya Krikunov - 7th round (Van)
Sergei Mozyakin - 9th round (Clb)
Ryan Craig - 8th round (TB)
Joey Crabb - 7th round (NYR)
James Wisniewski - 5th round (Chi)
Ian White - 6th round (Tor)

#47 isn't exactly a steal but ... Alexei Kaygorodov - 2nd round (Ott)
I only have 10-15 players ranked ahead of him in this draft.

Sticky*

i agree with the poster who said Jeremy Swanson in the 6th round. He is an extremely reliable defenseman. And will play inthe NHL. NOw whether he is a 3-4 dman or a 5,6, or 7 dman reamions to be seen. But he will play.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
19bruins19 said:
Since there is the '03 and '04 threads on steals, why not make one about 2002?

Lombardi picked in the third round.

Toivonen was picked 29th, 4 spots behind Cam Ward.

Id say Ward is as good if not better than Toivonen so I really dont know what that last comment is implying.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Brandon Segal is slowly surpassing Scottie Upshall in the Preds organization. That kid reminds me so much of a young Scott Hartnell that it's eerie. Hits, fights, scores goals, great passer. Solid prospect.

Vic Rattlehead*

Hero of Tragedy said:
Id say Ward is as good if not better than Toivonen so I really dont know what that last comment is implying.
When there was a goalie prospect thread, many people had Toivonen ahead of Ward. :teach:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
19bruins19 said:
When there was a goalie prospect thread, many people had Toivonen ahead of Ward. :teach:

Bear in mind that prospect polls around here need be taken with a grain, nay, shaker of salt. If a team has a large poster representation(Boston does, Carolina does not) you can pretty much tilt the standard deviation by 30 or 40 votes. The word of the average HF poster is far from gospel.

Vic Rattlehead*

nomorekids said:
Bear in mind that prospect polls around here need be taken with a grain, nay, shaker of salt. If a team has a large poster representation(Boston does, Carolina does not) you can pretty much tilt the standard deviation by 30 or 40 votes. The word of the average HF poster is far from gospel.
Not a poll, but a thread where each poster made a list about the top 25 goalies prospects in the NHL.
I may have added a stupid comment in my original post, but I would take Toivonen over Ward without a doubt. Read some of the scouting reports on Toivonen. He will most probably be better than Andrew Raycroft in the future, and will be a for sure #1 in the NHL.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
19bruins19 said:
but I would take Toivonen over Ward without a doubt. Read some of the scouting reports on Toivonen. He will most probably be better than Andrew Raycroft in the future, and will be a for sure #1 in the NHL.

I can understand and agree with all this. Toivonen is a helluva prospect but like you previously mentioned it was the comment that made it seem like Ward was not which is simply not the case. I'm sure you dont necessarily believe Ward is a bad prospect, it was simply just a matter of bad choice of words. You prefer Toivonen which is understandable. I would have them at about the same level.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Jarkko Immonen - late pick that looks like he could be a legit 2nd line center for years to come in the NHL.

I'll agree with the other poster who said Dwight Helminen could surprise.

Of course Matt Stajan... thanks Sather for choosing Lee Falardeau :shakehead

Vic Rattlehead*

Hero of Tragedy said:
I can understand and agree with all this. Toivonen is a helluva prospect but like you previously mentioned it was the comment that made it seem like Ward was not which is simply not the case. I'm sure you dont necessarily believe Ward is a bad prospect, it was simply just a matter of bad choice of words. You prefer Toivonen which is understandable. I would have them at about the same level.
Oh I think Ward is a very good prospect. It was also to show where Ward was taken.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Matt Stajan!!! :eek: Can't believe he was still on the board when the Leafs took him!!! :handclap: give a hand to the Leafs scouting, for one of the few good picks!!!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Foy isn't considered very much a steal because he had a rough season in the NCAA or wherever he played and when he went to the 67s he exploded. He's doing fine but I won't call him a steal until he makes it to the NHL and shows he can be consistant...He's doing fine in the AHL though.

Harding though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad